Blue Badge application help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone advise me about getting a blue badge?

I had a heart attack earlier in the year followed by a triple bypass operation in March.

I have been getting chest pains for the last five or six weeks and get breathless whilst walking or climbing stairs etc.

I can't claim any benefits because I was self employed and got behind on my stamps. Will I be eligable for a blue badge. Any advice welcome.Cheers.

Apply to your local authority, they have to assess you on your disability, not on whether you get benefits or not. Check your council's website, there'll be a link to where to apply.

Have you tried applying for DLA? AFAIK, it doesn't depend on NI contributions.

HI BJJ

i have moved your query to a thread of its own

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

A discretionary Blue Badge from your local council should be straightforward. Ensure you mention it to your GP as his / her support is important. The only criteria (iirc) is an inability to walk further than 100yds without discomfort...

Best wishes

Rae

Your doctors support is the key, you get the forms which is straightforward from the Council and you have to submit thru your doctor who will pass the forms on and if he supports you get one, to be safe the limit is now 50 yards, hope this helps

If you ring your local Council up they will supply you with a Blue Badge form. You will need your doctor to fill a part of it in and also a passport photograph. If you get turned down there isn't an appeal process but you could add more information to the initial application.

Regarding benefits, you should ring your local Welfare Rights or CAB up for a thorough benefit check. You could apply for DLA - there's 2 parts to it - the care component and the mobility component. You need to get it filled in by someone who knows what they are doing as it's a very long form and you need to put everything down (some people down play their problems). Good luck.

Regarding Dla and benifits, a liitle known fact is that anybody being put off applying for care allowance because of not being paid because of age should still apply because it confirms entitlement and although not being paid the entitlemant alone increases the allowance by £50 and gives extra benefit in council tax etc and savings credit payments, This was pointed out to me a couple of years ago by my Lacal CAB.

Carers Allowance - If you meet the requirements for CA, but cannot get it because you because you receive another overlapping benefit it still might be worth making a claim. The DWP will accept that you have an ‘underlying entitlement’ to it so you might get a carer premium of as part of your Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

• 1 month later...
Regarding Dla and benifits, a liitle known fact is that anybody being put off applying for care allowance because of not being paid because of age should still apply because it confirms entitlement and although not being paid the entitlemant alone increases the allowance by £50 and gives extra benefit in council tax etc and savings credit payments, This was pointed out to me a couple of years ago by my Lacal CAB.

Hi, Are you saying that you can still claim for DLA even though you are over 65?

Hi Bjj............ I agree with all the above. What I would add is that you should not be discouraged from being turned down. You should re submit the application and get you GP to ensure he writes the facts needed to obtain the badge.

Re the DLA in certain circumstances with serious condition there is a special procedure. Your health condition sounds mega serious and without wanting to alarm you the special circumstances may be revelant. Your treating consultant may be able to write a letter confirming this.

If you cannot walk very far there is always the local wheelchair service. You can normally self refer or perhaps your GP could also assist. If a wheelchair is necessary for you to get about then the local council normally reduce the council tax by one band.

Also if your house needs adaptation or you need aids and appliances the local authority is legally obliged to asses you. This is a process in which the social services will come round and speak to you and assess whether you come within the category of being registered disabled. That opens doors to problems which they should then try and solve for you eg a stair lift or adaptations to your house. (Although the current financial situation is bound to impact on what they will pay for). Each case is different but it is worth doing for whatever assistance you get eg in London Boroughs a free travel pass can be given to you.

Hope it all goes well for you.

GRUMPYOLEMAN

If I remember correctly I was over 65 when claimed, although you cannot get any money from claim they notify you of entitlement, this entitlement then increases your allowances by £50 and allows possibly pension savings credit or increase and also any other benefits like council rates that are based on income and allowances, pretty sure it applies to over 65s but need to double check..

Edited by Cherryj
spelling