SWTech

Council Tax Bill - from four years ago!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3651 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

We have today received a bill for council tax for an address we last lived in four years ago, asking for payment of charges that are four years old.

It all seems a bit fishy to me, as I am sure that all monies due had been paid before we moved out. Sadly, due to the length of time since moving out, I have discarded all documents relating to council tax from that property.

I'd be interested in any advice that could be offered, particularly in relation to how long a council can wait before issuing a bill, as four years seems a little excessive to me.

Thanks in advance

You can obtain everything they have on you by sending a 'Subject Access Request' (£10) to department responsible and then go through it all to see how they came to this missed amount.

It's a statutory obligation for them to send it to you within 12 days.

There is a time limit of six years after which it becomes Statute Barred and though they can ask you for it, they can't use any legal powers to get it should you decide you don't owe it.

If a liability order has been obtained, however, then there is no time limit and they can use legal power to collect.

Can you not check on your internet banking the statements from 4 years ago? This surely would give an indication of payments you made to your council?

it may also be that council tax bills are exempt from SB regs many govt bills are=worth checking