Have all companies changed in recession?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all...

This is just me wondering rather than actually raising a problem for assistance.

As with most companies where I work has lost employees (friends), but in addition we have been through a merger with new faces and new managers coming into play.

Protocols have changed and forms that we used to complete in the old company have been replaced with those of the one we merged into.

Further redundancies are hanging over the company and all in all there are no positive people in the company.

We have taken the roles of those made redundant in addition to what we already did and now are expected to do unpaid overtime to keep on top of projects.

The stance is that noone is safe hangs on, so you fear that you will lose your job if you are weaker than those of the equivelent grade.

Morale is rock bottom and my friends just comment that least it pays the bills.

Is this the employment world as a norm now? I missed previous recessions and guess this will go on for another couple of years until new people are brought in to lessen the workload.

Wow... I sound depressed! I would be if it wasn;t for the fact that a good summer has allowed my family and I to do day trips out :)

Hopefully I have not brought you down and thank you for any comments to help me understand employment in 2010.

Roj.

Hello Roj. I understand how you feel about work at the moment. My OH is going through similar stuff at the office and we can both sympathise with you.

Having lived through previous recessions, I would say that it's not that unusual to experience this when times are tough. As you say, things should improve as the economy starts to climb out of what the banks, Gordon Brown etc got us into.

My aside would be that practices imported from across the Atlantic and the rise of the 'bean counters' have possibly altered the way that businesses think. I hope we haven't lost the speculate to accumulate mentality in life forever.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I think that you just have to believe that these things always go in cycles. It is certainly tough for now and life changes, but we have to adapt. I could never have envisaged being made redundant this time two years ago, but I was, as the business was swallowed up and relocated. I am lucky to have found a job which I am good at and enjoy, but it pays nowhere near what I was earning before, despite having to work longer hours, and there is little prospect of that changing - and I certainly don't see my job as secure - I made that mistake with the last one.

You just have to do what you can and keep your eye open for opportunities.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

One of the hardest things is that you realise no-one is safe and everyone is replaceable.

We have 4 new graduates that qualified from university last month and I myself as a graduate replaced a more established member of staff with the poor engineer having to perform his role whilst trying to teach me how to work in the real world rather than in a text book.

Rough justice? Quite possibly and what goes around comes around.

I am glad you have found a position Sidewinder albeit in difference to your original position and upon an improvement in the industry wish you well in taking the experience forward to excel as you clearly show.

Honeybee>> I hope your OH is able to relax once he leaves the door from work. A hard task I might add! :) I have friends still whre I am (although downhearted) and a family that support.

We have to believe :) There is always something to hold onto :) and always a dream and new direction waiting to be grasped.

Roj