On minimum wage, private renting asnd partner just inherited a property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, I am looking for some advice on my situation please?

My partners dad recently passed away and left her his 1 bed flat, with no mortgage. The flat was an ongoing project by hime which needs to be finished. At the moment the flat is not really habitable.

I'm self employed and only earning around 12k per year (probably 7k after expenses) we live with our 2 children aged 1 and 2 in a 3 bed house we privatly rent. The rent is £950 per month and due to my low wage and prtner not working we get housing benefit, council tax benefit and working tax credit. I obviously need to declare our new property, our plan is to finish the work and rent it out, using it as a foothold to start a business, renting this flat and then re-mortgaging to buy another place to rent that one and so on and so on.

When I inform my local council of my new situation will they stop my rent and council tax beneifits? And do I need to tell working tax credits too?

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I'm losing alot of sleep over this!!

cheers

you should inform them of any change of circumstances...however if you have no income from the property at the moment cant see how it would affect your money..once you start getting an income from the rental then that most certainly will affect your rent and hb

Nobody can say for sure. They will look into the value of the property to decide whether it can be constituted as "capital". Once you are renting it out, any rent will be considered income. As regards WTC, you don't need to inform them unless you sell it - then you'd have to declare interest on the savings you have in excess of £300, or if you rent - again, it's income.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

you should inform them of any change of circumstances...however if you have no income from the property at the moment cant see how it would affect your money..once you start getting an income from the rental then that most certainly will affect your rent and hb

But because we now have a rent free property that in theory we could live in (council don't normally regard kids needing their own room until they are much older) they would stop everything?

But because we now have a rent free property that in theory we could live in (council don't normally regard kids needing their own room until they are much older) they would stop everything?

I think even as young as your kids are it would still be classed as over crowding.

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.