Now in the OPC club

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did they say 'offence' ?

Each letter is headed IN THE PROPOSED ACTION,

then in the body it has my name, address, date and states In the proposed Action: OPC V my name and invoice number, at the bottom of the letter in red is says Legal Department

So why are they laying out in clear detail all the things that they think they COULD do against the driver by writing to the Registered Keeper? Presumably the RK isn't particularly interested in what beef they have with the driver. :D

So why are they laying out in clear detail all the things that they think they COULD do against the driver by writing to the Registered Keeper? Presumably the RK isn't particularly interested in what beef they have with the driver. :D

Crem, thats what I thought it is saying we cant do anything against the RK, is this the normal letter that OPC send out?

I don't know if these PPCs are ignorant of the law, or are deliberately misleading people. Over on MSE somebody posted this classic received from another PPC:-

"the parking charge issued to your vehicle"

Are they expecting the car to pay?

Note that they do not actually specify the nature of the alleged contractual breach. They just send out a templated letter with a list of random 'contraventions'.

This has always been worth pointing out in defences against them. If nothing else, it just makes them look silly.

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody,

I am also in the opc club now. I parked my car in a private parking last month. It was late night and i didnt see any parking restriction board. When i left there was no parking ticket affixed on my windscreen. After 1 month i got a similar 2 page letter from OPC which afcwben has posted above asking for £100 instead of reduced £50. I have gone through alot of posts on this forum regarding OPC and bbc watchdog last week and i understand that these are invoices and not fines and thus not enforceable.

But i have also found out the OPC do eventually go to court and i will have to go to court to defend it. And this will result me taking a day off from work which will cost me more than £100. Do you guys think that i should ignore it and hope that they wont go to court, or ask them that i never found any ticket affixed to my windscreen and i dont remember if i park at that place or not? What are your thoughts.

waiting for reply.

cheers.

Clueless, I hope you're not seriously considering paying these crooks just coz u think it's 2 much hassle??? R u 'aving a laugh mate? But if u r serious, can I send u an invoice as well then? Coz apparently all I have 2 do is threaten u with court, and u r sure 2 pay up coz otherwise you'll lose income & it's far 2 much hassle 4 u 2 defend.

Now plse, get a grip. If they r stupid enough 2 pursue it that far, u will win, and winning usually means u can recover all your costs against them as well, incl. lost income. So don't b a big girl's blouse. Are u a man or a mouse? (Hey...I'm a poet, & I know it). And if u need further encouragement 2 fight your corner, chk out my reply to Chelsy on the Athena thread, 2nd page I think. If, after reading that, you're still having doubts about the legal strength of your position, I'll post one of the best legal summaries I have seen covering this subject. Is that enough 4 u 2 b mulling over in the m/time?

The only reason they do court, and lose vast amounts of money in the process, is to persuade people like you to pay.

If you pay, you are just paying for someone else who defeated them in court in effect.

Thanks havinastella, beesnees & Al27 for your reply. I was totally not considering to pay them until i found on a few threads here that the max lost earnings you can claim in court is £50 if you win the case. Also OPC is taking ppl to court and not giving up after 5-6 letters. This was a cause of concern for me.

But now after your replies I have decided not to pay them. I hope i can find a good & cheap lawyer to represent me if they do take me to court and recover the costs :wink:

So, wats the final verdict now?:wink: Should i ask them for any proof/pics etc or just ignore them? P.S. I havn't started any communication with them yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Me again - good ol' Beesnees 2 the rescue. I don't mean 2 b rude clueless (well, not 2 much, anyway), but what part of IGNORE don't u understand??? Is it the ig bit or the nore bit? Tell me, coz then I could perhaps enlighten u further. Or u could try a dictionary.

U obviously haven't read that thread yet re Athena. That should answer most of your questions. And again, u needn't worry about a cheap lawyer, coz you'll b awarded costs - which incl. your lawyer's fees. So plse, relax, put your feet up, & break open a gottle of gear.

You wont need a lawyer anyway, AL27 has proved himself better than anyone you could get from the law society. He has defeated OPC on every case.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

legal costs not claimable in small claims

Exactly - despite what OPC have said in their letter to the afcwben:

The driver will be liable to pay all additional collection costs including legal and collection costs which could reach up to £300 per private parking ticket
And don't go thinking that Windsor-Smythe & Partners are solicitors as they are just debt-collectors with absolutely no more powers to collect debts than you or me.

but my time is around £40 per hr. its gonna be a loss for me in that case and more hassel. :???:

At that pay rate it would put you on about £80K a year, so surely you can afford to take the risk and help put the [problematic] out of business by starving them of funds!