• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HBOS/Sainsbury’s PPI Single Premium – Help needed please! ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After reading some fantastic posts I have managed to get an offer from HBOS re a single premium PPI. I really could use some help though as I’m not sure if they have offered correctly and the spreadsheets on this web make my head hurt :confused:.

The original loan was for £7500, interest was £1395.90 (APR 6.6%)and the insurance was a further £1762.50 on top. This loan did not run full term and I refinanced with another £9500 loan in 2007 clearing the original loan. Sainsbury would not add to the loan as they ‘prefer’ not to (I wonder if I have been had there also :mad:). I also refinanced this with £11500 in 2008 again paying off the original loan. I finished any loans with Sainsburys April this year.

Sainsburys have offered to put me back in the position I would have been in should the PPI not have been added with no admission of liability. They are however only prepared to look at the first £7500 and will not consider the subsequent refinancing. Should I push for this or should I quit whilst I’m ahead?

I have the full SAR for the first loan and the paperwork for the last. I have details of the second from my credit file and HBOS assure me the missing accounts are on their way as required by the SAR. You can clearly see on the SAR where the representative upgraded the PPI from bronze to silver and the terms/principles of single premium PPI were never discussed.

HBOS have offered me the following:

Refund of premium paid: £1762.50

Refund of interest paid: £263.53

Interest at 8%:£773.45

Can anybody tell me if this is correct? Thanks in advance and for all the posts. I wouldn’t have been able to get this far without it!

Hi Loopyluc,

Welcome to the forum.

Sainsburys are trying to pull a fast one on you here as you are entitled to claim back the PPI on all of the loans and very well they know it.

Personally I would write back to sainsburys saying you reject their offer of settlement on the grounds that they are offering to refund the PPI on only 1 of the loans. Then ask them to look again at this decision not to refund PPI on all the loans.

You could on the other hand accept their offer, subject to the calculations being checked, but make it clear you are accepting this as a part settlement and request they look at the PPI for the other loans.

In refinancing a loan you are being hot double whammy. Using the new loan to pay off the old one and I suspect being sold yet another PPI policy each time, then being charged interest at their rate on this as well.

Is your decision whether you accept their offer as part settlement or not. But in order to check their calculations we need some further information.

1) Date of first payment

2) Amount of monthly payment for PPI

3) Total interest charged on PPI

4) Number of monthly payments

5) Whether there was an early settlement rebate on the PPI upon refinancing.

6) Number of monthly repayments made before refinancing.

If you send this information someone will be able to help you with the calculations.

Good luck

DJ

Thanks DJ :),

That helps loads. Just to clarify there was only PPI on the first loan. I had learnt my lesson after that. The PPI in full was added to the loan amount as a single premium and paid up front so there is no monthly amount.

Looking at the agreement (which I can scan if this would help?) the figures go like this:

Loan amount: £7500

PPI: £1762.50

Total Interest: £1395.90

Interest breaks down further:

Insurance interest: £265.50

Interest: £1130.40

48 x £222.05 = £10658.40 Total Payable

Looks like I have a 2 months payment holiday as the loan was taken out July 03, and I made the first payment in October 03. I made the last payment in Jan 07 and settled the account (with the second loan) in Feb 07 by paying £1765.43. The only rebate I can see anywhere was for £10.97.

My calculations recon I settled 8 months early (8x222.05 = 1776.40, 1776.40-10.97=1765.43) so I made 40 payments and only ever had a rebate of £10.97.

This is starting to make a little more sense now!

Can anybody help me with the 8% now please? Is the 8% taken from the loan and insurance interest? Is it annually calculated?

HBOS have already sent the cheque with nothing for me to sign. I shall send them a letter accepting in part only (whilst their calculations are checked) and asking them to reconsider loans 2 and 3.

A word of warning to anyone else writing to HBOS, send your letters recorded and write on the letter that you have done so. I have been told my letters have been getting lost but there are copies in my SAR. Also my SAR only has details for the first loan. They are slippery to say the least!

LoopyLuc x

Hi Loopyluc,

Good that you had PPI on just the first loan.

Although the PPI was front loaded, ie added at the start, you will have been paying this back monthly. So a certain amount of your monthly repayment will have been credited against the PPI loan.

We can however work out this amount by adding:

1) PPI charged £1762.50

2) Insurance Interest £265.50

This gives us a total of £2,028 which is the total amount you were charged for the PPI. We divide this by 48 = £42.25

So £42.25 of your monthly repayment was going against the PPI loan.

So the first part of your reclaim calculation is simple ie £1,762.50 + £265.50 = £2,028.

Then to calculate the 8% statutory interest we calculate it from the date of each repayment until the date of settlement, or the date HBOS refunded your money.

So £42.25 @ 8% per annum from say 2nd October 03 until date HBOS refunded your money.

In doing the same calculation for each repayment I actually get £683 but they are offering you £773.45. So my suggestion would be to accept their offer and bring this matter to a close.

As you did not have PPI on the other 2 loans, I do not think there will be anything to claim back on these.

With reference to the rebate I suspect this is refund of interest for early settlement. Now as you settled just 8 months early, this could actually be correct. Although I do not know their method of calculation on this and so cannot comment further.

Well done on a good result.

Do you want 1 of the moderators to add "won" to your post title? It will help others and encourage them to submit a claim, as you have done.

DJ

Please can a moderator mark this WON? Sorry but I have no idea how to go about doing this if this isn’t the best way!

Luci

Hi Luci:)

I have asked the Site Team to mark your thread as 'WON' - congratulations by the way :D

For future reference, if you click on the red warning triangle on the left side below your user name you can report a post to the site team..........

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Title updated. ;)

Thanks cerberusalert :)

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Just a quick update as I have found other peoples experiences invaluable.

I accepted the offer from HBOS in part settlement only, whilst the numbers were checked (thanks DJ) and I noted there was no consideration made to the fact that the original loan had been refinanced twice. Although there was no PPI on loans 2 or 3 the previous loan had always been cleared by refinancing.

In effect I had to borrow an extra £2K for loans 2 and 3 to cover the deficit left by the mis sold PPI. I have asked HBOS to reconsider but have heard nothing.

The interesting bit is however, that FOS are prepared to consider this part of the claim and have taken my details and are sending out a complaint pack. I shall keep you updated.

Thanks again for all the support.

Luci x