• Tweets

• I hope Lord Frost is OK. Islamists and the woke Left are uniting to topple the West ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 19:12:37 UTC  
    • Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Urgent Help Needed - Eviction out of blue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you for all your help and support Ell-enn. We couldn't have done it without you and even the judge remarked that we'd obviously had some good legal help. The judge was a lovely woman and I hope she presides over the review if it goes ahead. She made me feel very at ease, especially as she let us in to state our case 45 minutes before we were supposed to be there.

And I surprised myself by just how confident I felt in court - to the point where I was somewhat disappointed that Kensington didn't turn up. But going forward, we'll be keeping a record of our expenditures for the next three month for the review.

Btw Ell-enn, with regards to chasing up the charges and fees imposed by Kensington, are you able to offer any insight in addition to Letsdothis as to what is reclaimable on the following?

Lender's Interest Only policy (no idea what that is)

Monthly arrears fees

Interest debit

Property Insurance

Returned Direct Debit fees

Solicitors costs

I plan on running this past our money advice caseworker at CAB too. Every penny we're entitled too off Kensington - I want it back. They've almost destroyed my family this past week. Now I intend to give them a headache :).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

You can only claim for the following:

Monthly arrears fees

Returned Direct Debit fees

All the rest are not reclaimable.

Lender's Interest Only policy (no idea what that is)

Interest debit

Property Insurance

Solicitors costs

However, if you go the FOS route, along with the 8% stat interest, it is remotely possible that they may ask the OC to repay the monthly arrears and returned direct debit fees with interest as what the OC would have charged you. Although you should only expect to recover the charges and the 8% stat interest. Anything else would be a bonus.

Hi, you don't need to have their property insurance no matter what they say!! they will be charging you well over the odds for that. Get some quotes off the internet for the same cover and then tell them you want to cancel as you were not given the opportunity to search the market for a better deal. You only need to fax them a copy of your own insurance.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

We actually have our own insurance with Barclays and have just updated it last week. We received the policy today and will be posting a copy off to them (Reordered delivery) as soon as my printer gets some more ink in it.

We've actually had the Barclays insurance for about a year but my mother took it out and we've discovered throughout all of this that she'd forgotten to send the policy paperwork to the mortgage company. Because my father "took care" of the mortgage, she was none the wiser and didn't realise it had to be sent off.

When you do send it to them, make sure it's by recorded delivery or they could say they never got it! Also, ring them and ask for the correct address to send it to, sometimes it's a different address to that of the arrears dept.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Ok but I think I might just nip to the local library tomorrow and fax it through. I'm not sure the court action will prevent them from charging us for their cover again at the end of July.

I'm not sure what to put in the cover letter though if I'm honest. Will I just have to tell them to cancel whatever policies they have on the account and replace them with the one attached?

Here you go..........

Dear Sirs,

Re: Account No: XXXX - Buildings Insurance

Having taken advice we are aware that we are not obliged to take the buildings cover provided by yourselves and that we should have been given the opportunity to search the market for the required cover.

We have sourced our own buildings insurance which meets your criteria, and therefore require you to cancel the insurance you are currently charging us for.

Please confirm that cancellation has taken place.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXX

Enc

Hope you are all relaxing this evening knowing that your home is safe:)

I have a bottle of red to help me celebrate their success. :D

I'm having a long cold gin & tonic :)

Wow. Thank you again Ell-enn. I'll get that insurance sent off tomorrow.

I'd love to be able to say we're feeling nothing but elation over securing the safety of our home but we're still haunted by what plunged us into this precarious position unexpectedly. That is still a road we have left to travel. The family has our home back but the emotional wounds these events have caused will need time to heal.

At the end of the day, you are a family.

People do different things under pressure. At least you still have your family and your home. Sometimes they make sense other times they do not.

Things will get better, however your prority has to always be your family.

Best wishes to you all and patch things up as best you can. One problem has now gone away.

Rest assured, I will be making CAG one of my regular internet haunts so that I can offer the help I can to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation. And I hope this thread does the same. So much has been done for me and my family that for me to simply leave this forum would be something I couldn't accept.

And it's odd because when I've been asked by my family and the CAB who the mysterious Ell-enn who is helping us save our home is, all I could do was respond with was "A person who lives in Yorkshire (ish)". That is a response I no longer want to give and so sticking around to keep in touch and to get to know each other is what is going to happen. :)

And that goes for my family too Ell-enn. They'll will be in touch to thank you.

That's the spirit of CAG :) and Letsdothis, who has given you good advice, is a perfect example - he too was in a similar position to yourself very recently and found this site just in time. He is now helping others which is greatly appreciated. Glad to hear you want to help too.:)

The more the merrier in the fight against these sub prime lenders, they don't play fair and that's why I do what I can to make sure they don't win!

So now that I've got some more ink in my printer, I'm going to be following through on these unlawful charges tomorrow but I've a question before I kick it all into action.

The mortgage account is held by my mother and father rather than just one person. I noticed that the template letters that I have to do all this do not take this scenario into account.

Should I just alter the template letter slightly so that it refers to both my parents or will I have to send two separate letters for each of them? I'd rather do the former as I have a suspicion that if I do the latter, it'll cost £20 for two subject access requests.

Thanks for the info Letsdothis. I just hope Kensington don't start being difficult about it - I've just read a post where Capstone refused to send a subject access request on the basis that the letter asking for one wasn't handwritten but they kept the £10 fee anyway!? Can companies even do that? Surely that can't be allowed?

Companies can do what they want, but if you do a SAR then they have to follow your request.

People say to print your name, but on this occasion I would get a parent's signature, as it is quite obvious there is an agreement and that it is enforceable, otherwise you would not have had all the hassle recently.

Send the SAR, signed by a, or both parent/s and enclose the £10 postal order.

They have 40 days to provide the information, if they don't then raise a complaint with the ICO - Play them at their own game, they didn't care at all what hassle they gave you and your family, why should you care about them?

I got that subject access request sent off today (recorded delivery no less). I also tried to fax off the new buildings insurance but true to form, Kensington had their fax machine permanently engaged so that got posted too (rec del again - I'm not taking any chances)

However, we've just received the agreement with regards to our proposal and Kensington have included a payment schedule that has me a little confused because it looks like Kensington are taking our £589.67 contractual monthly payment + the additional £300 towards arrears (totalling £889.67) and applying the whole sum to the arrears in a rather sneaky way. The schedule doesn't imply anywhere that the £589.67 contractual monthly payment is being used to pay the mortgage and is instead being applied to the arrears.

The repayments come with the following instructions. Keep in mind that the Judge ruled that we start payments on the 30th of August, not the end of July.

If your payments are made by Direct Debit, the arrangement amount will be collected from your bank on the next due date. Your Direct Debit is due on the last working day of each month and where the schedule states the 1st as the payment due date the Direct Debit will collect this amount on the last working day of the month prior to this date. Please ensure that there are sufficient funds for your Direct Debit to collect.

Now have a look at the attached file to see what I mean....

....can anyone explain why on the 1st of each month, Kensington are ADDING our contractual monthly payment amount onto the arrears and then subtracting it once we pay on the 30th?

repaymentschedule.jpg

The repayments come with the following instructions. Keep in mind that the Judge ruled that we start payments on the 30th of August, not the end of July.

You pay as per the Judge ordered you to, otherwise you are technically in contempt of court. The court have decided that you pay on X date. There is nothing the OC can do to you now.

As long as you pay the amounts on the dates the court told you to, there is nothing else that can happen to you.

The only possible retalitory action the OC can do, is what they did to us, put our monthly payment up. Then you would pay the new monthly payment on the date the court said, as well as the amount towards the court said, on the date that they also stated.

How the OC does their accounts is irrelevant for now.

My concern is that Kensington still think they're running the show and are maybe working their accounts so that they can claim later that we've not paid our contractual amount (because they're going to add it and then subtracted it from the arrears total).

Since the ruling on Wednesday, we've not had anything from the courts to confirm what happened via post or otherwise. I can only assume that the same can be said for Kensington (who may not even know a ruling was made as they faxed the court to cancel and didn't turn up). Is it normal to not have heard anything back from the ruling? I guess I'm feeling a bit left in the lurch.

Regardless, we'll be hitting the payment dates. The Judge ordered a review/hearing in 3 months but I suspect Kensington are going to try and get in first with a review on their own terms, not the courts (because of them being unaware of a ruling). Naturally, I'll be telling them to go and jump if they try that and to see them in court but I can't really back that up if the court don't provide us and Kensington with documentation of the ruling.

In 3 months, when you go back to court as long as you can prove that you have paid the monthly payment and the arrears on time, then I doubt very much will happen.

I pay our monthly payment and arrears by debit card direct to my OC's solicitors, and get an email confirming it has been paid along with the authorisation number.

Just keep proof and then if they ever say you missed a payment, then you can tell the Judge they must be mistaken, look here's copies of everything we have paid.

My court order didn't come through for weeks, but I made the payments as and when the court said they were due. I do not give a damm what my OC does now, as I know I have kept to my side of the deal.

Try not to worry, the court is in charge now, not the OC

Sixofspades

As others have confirmed the Court is now in charge and NOT your lender.

Provided you pay as directed by the Court there is nothing the lender can do.

Naturally you will keep records of all payments to your lender from now on.

It may be worth checking your legal rights, e.g. your access to evidence of payments, in this whole matter simply because the mortgage is in the names of your mother and father only.

All the very best.

GLADSTANES

Yes, everything going forward is being recorded. I do have third party authority on the mortgage account meaning I am able to discuss it with the lender, the restriction being that I cannot action anything on it. Evidence of payment isn't a problem whether I'm confirming it with Kensington or seeing that it has been actioned at our end via direct debit

I've not updated the thread in a few days as there hasn't been much to report. The original eviction day came and went and I've been making sure all the priority debts are in order. A new bank account is being opened specifically for this purpose.

Feeling a lot more relaxed about the situation at the moment. Since I last posted, all arrangements and direct debits have been set up and the Kensington staff have been surprisingly helpful and sympathetic. Not letting my guard down though.

One thing I did ask of Kensington though, after they confirmed receipt of our new buildings insurance policy, was if they'd also received my father's Subject Access Request (both were sent recorded on the same day and I have proof of delivery printed off). The buildings insurance was noted on the mortgage account as received but there was no record of the Subject Access Request. I suspect they're going to drag their heels during the 40 days they have to respond but should they decide to just not bother, where do we stand legally?

Can anyone offer any advice on that?