Jump to content

Crisis Loan - Repaying it back after 6 years.


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, i hope this is in the correct section.

I recieved a letter asking me to repay a crisis loan i was given in april 2000, iirc they took some payments from some of my giro's shortly after i recieved the loan but not enough to clear the debt (which i was not informed of).

My problem is i have been in fulltime employment for the last ten years and have at no point been contacted by the social.

They made no effort to recover the money when i started employment in september 2000 and could have easily contacted me if they wanted to.

Can they just send me a letter after 10 years asking for the money? The lady i spoke to at the DWP said they could recover the money "whenever they want", i thought after 6 years it was classed as Statute Barred?




Edited by MoMoneyMoProblems
Link to post
Share on other sites

i thought after 6 years it was classed as statute barred?
It is although the DWP have partial exemption in that they can still recover the monies owed from any future benefits you may claim but they cannot now take any legal action. Send whoever is begging for your money this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts


Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.


Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit



17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good info.

Will move this into benefits forums.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...