my friends bb is down, sky want to charge for engineer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend was with BT for years for telephone and BB and at this time was duped into having an extension socket then recently changed to sky for both.

Now the line will not allow her to use bb at all and only use the phone on the test socket, there was a storm shortly before this happened and she is wondering if this could be the cause of it?

Sky want her to pay for an engineer to call on her to check the line inside the house, she hung up before asking how much?

So she rang our friends at BT who informed her that as she isnt a customer of theirs anymore then they are not liable

Does anyone know what she has to do? she's a disabled pensioner and practically housebound and is lost without her bb and phone

Buzby?

Unfortunatly, After the master socket it is the responsability of the householder. It could be a lightning strike, although her equipment may also have also been damages if that is the case. Interim solution, put a filter in the master socket, then move the router there, and also plug in the phone. If her computer is not wifi, you can get a usb dongle for under a tenner.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi locutus thanks for the reply, my friend says everything is ok when used on the test socket within the master socket but when she puts the front back on it doesnt work, neither will her extension socket put in by BT only about 18 months ago

The master socket is where BT Openreach responsibility ends, and if a lightning strike has ruined the extension, IMO there is not a lot they will do about that unfortunately. Has she tried dialing BT Openreach on 151? They should clarify their position in regards to repairing the master socket and the extension.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I'm afraid, as locutus notes, after the Master socket, the responsibility lies with the customer - in the same way as water, gas, and electrical wiring are not the responsibility of the utility anfter the demarcation point. (Even if, in this case BT installed it in the first place).

If there's nobody with the necessary skills, check the local paper, as there are a good many Ex engineers offering to fix/install extension sockets for considerably less than the standard call-out charge. It's probably not a lightening hit, as the master socket has a supressor and usually takes the hit if this was an issue.