workshy

Red Driving Instructor Course

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3675 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In Feb 2009 I was self employed in the construction trade and struggling for work due to the reccession. Red Driving School ads were everywhere you looked promising £30k incomes, hours to suit, etc.

So, massive change of direction for me, and I thought the £3,700 they wanted for tuition was excessive, but I signed on the dotted anyway.

Then I was told before the wheels could be set in motion (so to speak) I'd have to apply for a CRB check that'd probably take a 'few weeks'. It didn't, it took almost six months, during which Red had sent my my tutiton kit - A box of books (Highway code, etc.) and a DVD.

Thing is, by this time work had improved in the construction industry so I rang to explain to Red my circumstances had changed and I'd like a refund. I was pointed to their small print which states a refund can be made if the tuition is cancelled within 7 days.

So, I decided to go ahead with the course and had 3 driving lessons before falling at the first hurdle by failing the theory test. I paid another £100 for a second test, but failed this too (by 1 point!)

I've decided this really isn't the career for me, but so far I've paid £3,800 for 3 driving lessons (shared with another pupil!) two failed tests, and a box of books.

Is there any course of action I can take to get even a partial refund?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't think so as this is due to a change of mind and a lack of studying, which isn't their fault.

Unless they gave you a guarantee of passing...? What do their terms say about taking re-tests and your requirement to study dilligently? If they've misled you (and you can prove this) then you're in with a chance, but not otherwise. Paying a university for a course of any subject does not guarantee a degree at the end of it nor a job.