How Long Does an Employer have to respond to an appeal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I won't go in to the history of my appeal against an unfair dismissal here, but I would be grateful for advice on a procedural issue.

My appeal hearing was 22 days ago now. I have not heard a word from my previous employer in response to my appeal. At the appeal hearing they said 'obviously we can't tell you today, we will be in touch'

I am not sure whether their is any statutory/ ACAS guideline on reasonable response times. I don't want to start hassling them for a response if it is completely normal for an appeal response to take this long.

Andy advice much appreciated - over 3 weeks seems a long time, it is making me nervous........

I had a police medical appeal tribunal on 7th july 2010. I was told the result would be with me in 10 days. I allowed them 10 working days as it could have been my mistake and today that time was up. I called them and they gave me the result over the phone. The paperwork is in the post for toorrow.

Unfortunately a really bad result for me but good luck hun

Peep x

Bite me and i'll bite back....

Is this an appeal hearing at your place of work or an Employment Appeal Tribunal?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Unfortunately there is nothing specified as to how long an appeal decision should take, although as the waiting can add to the stress of the situation, it, as with other aspects of a disciplinary procedure, should ideally be given without undue delay.

If you feel so inclined, you could contact them and point out that after three weeks of waiting this is worrying you further than is necessary.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Is there nothing in the company disciplinary policy regarding timescales for appeal decisions? My company policy states you will have an answer within 5 working days, unless there are extenuating circumstances in which case you would be advised of this and a new date given for the answer.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

At my place of work. The lady who was co-ordinating my case, but not the chair of the appeal, has been off long term sick. However they are a massive organisation, I would have thought someone else should take over her work. I will drop them a line. I was dismissed on the 28th May so if I want to lodge an appeal at an appeal I need to get going in preparing a case.

At my place of work. The lady who was co-ordinating my case, but not the chair of the appeal, has been off long term sick. However they are a massive organisation, I would have thought someone else should take over her work. I will drop them a line. I was dismissed on the 28th May so if I want to lodge an appeal at an appeal I need to get going in preparing a case.

For an ET its 3 months less a day to lodge an unfair dismissal case. Just be aware some employers will drag out the internal appeal so that you miss the ET deadline. Sad fact but true.

Just get the bare bones of your case into the ET you can add detail later.