• Tweets

• Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Leasehold Insurance Issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist please. We own a flat and it is the freeholders responsibility (Freehold Managers PLC) to insure. Up until now the cost for the share of the insurance has seemed reasonable and theres been no issue. However, out of the blue and part way through the insurance period, we received an invoice for an additional sum (that more than doubled the original annual figure). Following questioning they advised that a revaluation of the property had taken place and the sum insured was now almost 3 times the original amount. Can anyone advise 1) if this is acceptable practice and 2) whether there is anything in particular I should be asking for? I did receive a soft copy of the surveyor report but not a copy of the policy (even though I asked for it). I've so far withheld payment (only a month or so) but the demands and threats of admin charges have started and i would just like to understand my rights. Thanks

a) First off, if you haven't done so already, make sure you advise FM - in writing - that it is not reasonable for them to attempt to add administrative charges to your account until such time as your own reasonable queries and requests for documentation remain unanswered.

b) Also, always remember that they can only recover costs and charges that are allowed under the terms of your lease - and leasehold legislation - so read through your lease as well.

c) Above all, get them to provide written confirmation to not adding charges for now, (email is fine at this stage), as otherwise, rest assured, those admininstrative charges will remain.

d) Keep it polite and friendly, for now, if only as YOU need THEM to (later) answer further queries for you, and no need, perhaps, to be too aggressive at this stage. Not suggesting you are being aggressive, of course!

e) The insurance revaluation is generally a 'good' thing. If a property's insurance/rebuilding sum is too low and there is a subsequent claim there is a risk that Insurers will apply an 'average clause', that is, they will only pay out a percentage of any claim - so, if the level of cover is 25% less than it should be then the Insurers may argue that they only pay out 75% of any claim :eek:.

f) That said, after you got written confirmation from them that they will not add adminstrative charges to your account THEN there are various questions you can ask them (if you don't know) including, but not limited to:

- when was the last revaluation undertaken and by whom

- was the sum insured index-linked and is it now

- is the Surveyor and their firm related in any way to FM and

- was there any commission, 'cross-selling', or other sum of money, fee or consideration exchanged between the Surveyor and FM other than the fee itsef for the revaluation - typing at speed here, but hope you can see what I'm driving at...

...for as much as a revaluation is, generally, a good thing, I have heard it said that it is simply an exerise to generate yet further fees for Surveyors and Freeholders alike and THAT is all before considering whether there are additional commissions built in PLUS all this before considering if the insurance premium itself is reasonable

Come bck to these points later, but hope that gives a flavour of what can occur

g) As for the insurance premium itself it does not have to be cheapest, but it does have to be reasonable. So, without advising as to why, insist on a copy of the Insurance Certificate (recall they are required to provide it anyway) and Policy Documentation too, although less necessary, for now

h) Once you have the certificate you can then get quotes from other Brokers (we can cover this later) to see if the level of premium is acceptable. Not the cheapest, as mentioned, but is it reasonable?

i) If the premium is NOT reasonable and your questions over fees/commissions raises other issues queries then you can make an application to the LVT (Leasehold Valuation Tribunal) over the reasonableness of costs, with a view to getting a determination in your favour, and getting the charges reduced. It is YOUR money that THEY are spending, after all

j) Please do not be put off by the length of the reply. BUT do DO your initial digging so you and your fellow leaseholders can better decide if any mileage in going down this route.

k) Incidentally, can you let me know how many leaseholders in your block and the approximate sums involved, so can see the scale of this... this information may be better in a PM to me, perhaps, so I undertake to only use what you send me to see if I can help in anyway. I will not forward your details on to any third party without your prior consent.

For whatever it is worth I do not work for FM and have no connection with them at all, save for having dealt with them off and on over the years.

All this typed at speed and may revisit/edit later, but hope this helps for now.

(Might be worth considering editing out the name of the Freeholder, as google seems to pick up everything! Arguments for and against this, so will leave that decision to you :) )

Edited by NewSAHD
removed full name of FM from my post :)

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Nearly forgot, sorry, useful link to follow at

Leasehold Advisory Service: Free advice on residential leasehold law

Post again or PM as you see fit - and best of luck too!

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Excessive insurance by the landlord is a common problem and one that I have been dealing with to.

You may like to check out the Leasehold Advisory Site, Landlord Zone Forums and RPTS Site.

Excessive insurance can be challanged at a Leasehold Advisory Site (This is supposed to be a low cost informal 'court' to deal with these issues).

There have been many decsions taken on the subject of insurance and whether it is 'reasonable' or not, however many tenants are unsuccessful.

In my opinion there are some important steps if you wish to fight the cost. (at an LVT)

1) Obtain (as many as poss.) quotes for like-for-like landlord insurance for the building/block (this is NOT the samew as usual house insurance). But there are plenty of companies that will give you a quote.

2) Ask your landlord is there any kind of commission element he recives from the insurance company and/or broker (this may be confused further (as in my case), where the landlord takes a commission but claims it is for 'providing a claims handling service').

3) Ask your landlord for all the insurance details and also inquire how he tests the market each year, how many other insurance companies did he approach ?, did he obtain quotes ?, is the portfolio of buildings insured as a whole ?, could he break down this portfolio into smaller groups ?

You should try and read as many LVT decisions as you can, this will help you judge what details are needed for you to challange the landlords choice of insurer.

Let me know if you need any specific links to websites, etc

Andy

Andy, hi, recall we swopped messages on this subject awhile back. I'm interested in your posts on this and should like to ask you some questions, if OK:

a) Firstly, your comment "where the landlord takes a commission but claims it is for 'providing a claims handling service'" interests me.

You're probably well aware that some landlord/agents often charge an additional fee (say, 10% fee on cost of works, call it Fee "CofW") in addition to their more usual general management fee (Fee "M") for dealing with insurance claims.

Depending on the scale of the claim and the level of their involvement - and that of third parties, such as Surveyors / Enginners and so on - I can see how this could be seen to be reasonable.

I would be interested to know, however, if your review of LVT determinations shows that certain 'types' of landlord/agent claim, when their insurance commissions have been challenged, that the inbuilt commission is for providing a 'claims handling service' (Fee "CHS") and, to get to the nub of it, whether a review of previous years Service Charge Accounts shows any indication that CofW-fees were ever charged i.e any liklihood of double counting of fees, above and beyond the M fee?

If the management contract is silent on the matter it might help further the argument, although most upto date management contracts I've seen tend to make it clear that Agenst will charge CofW fees now...

I mention this aside from the fact that the CHS argument may be a rather, er, specious argument, added to defences such as 'claims history' and others to which you have referred before ('portfolio' insurance and the like).

So, what did the Service Charge Accounts show in those LVT determinations that you were involved in / reviewed? i.e. when the various fees/costs in the accounts were analysed was their any possibility of double counting of fees?

b) From your review of the LVT determinations were you also able to build up a schedule of insurance rates / '£ per 100' etc?

Such rates would obviously would need to know the type/size/age of contruction, claims histories, and so on, but some of all this could be gleaned from the determinations themselves, as well as StreetView now too :)

==

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, as the more these matters are questionned the more that all leaseholders should benefit.

To my mind the issue over inflated insurance premiums / commissions goes back many years and to all intents is paid for off the back of those homeowners (leaseholders) who are least able to afford it - and is still not fully resolved.

All this typed at speed, as usual :), but hope that's all clear enough to follow.

As I say, I would welcome your thoughts on the matter!

(PS, nellied, btw, not meaning to hijack your post and hope the various comments assist)

Edited by NewSAHD

Hello again.

Lets put the CHS stuff on the back burner for a bit as I'm not sure how common this is (but it is relevant to my case).

By commission I mean a 'kick back' that is given from the insurance company or broker to the landlord, it isn't a management fee and I doubt very much whether any lease would allow it, it is simply the insurance company/broker saying 'continue insuring with us and we will make it worth your while, wink, wink, we will give 10-20% of the cost back to you', (note the 'back to you' bit, not back to the people who are actually paying, i.e the tenants !).

There have been many LVT decisions where at the very least this extra 10-20% has been ordered to be returned to the tenants, at least making the insurance a bit cheaper.

Clearly where there is some sort of commission there is an added bonus for the landlord to obtain insurance as high as possible, the higher the costs the more kick back he gets.

I'm not really sure where your mention of CofW is revelant here, I'm talking about purely the insurance costs, not any maintainence/building costs or management costs (they are seperate arguments).

As for rates per £1000, this often comes up (especially when my landlord is involved), unfortuantely the decisions made by the LVT are all over the place with no consistency so its very hard to judge (and also seems at odds with judging 'reasonableness' and the Forcelux v Sweetman decsion).

I shall now delve into my case a bit.

My landlord is Forcelux, there have been many LVT decisions regarding insurance involving them, some pre 2000, the tenants won, there was then a 'landmark' Lands Tribunal appeal in 2001, (the oft-quoted 'Forcelux v Sweetman'), this reversed a LVT decision and went into detail about what was meant by 'reasonableness', the outcome being that its not really the actual cost (or rate per £1000), but the actions of the landlord that matter, (i.e did he 'shop around' and test the market each year).

The cost of insurance for my building has risen ever higher, (and I notice for other homeowners with Forcelux as the freeholder) and I have for the last few years asked Forcelux to try and lower this cost somehow, but they have continued with the same insurer. The last response I had from them (their broker) said that they approached many insurers but none would quote hence they carried on using the same one, my arguement will be that the insurer is now in a monopoly position and the landlord should investigate other means of insuring, it is worth reading the attached Stapleton decsion and reading the LVT's comments, this case shows that there are other avenues that could be approached to gain cheaper insurance (i.e not insuring the whole block of many 100's/1000's of properties in one go).

Let me know if you want to discuss CHS further or want links/copies of LVT decisions (I've built up quite a library !, including my own case).

On a brighter note I recently took sperate action over overpaid ground rent, I was overjoyed with the result of this, I succesfully argued that Section 32 of the limitation Act applied and my landlord was ordered to back back amounts going back to 1996..with interest :)

Andy

Forcelux vs Stapleton.pdf

andydd, hi, have sent you a PM and will come back to this thread later

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am a Director of a management company in SE England and we are having a similar isssue with the same company with insurance costs almos tripling in 3 years and costs at least double quotes from other companies. We would be interested in comparing notes.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can assist please. We own a flat and it is the freeholders responsibility (Freehold Managers PLC) to insure. Up until now the cost for the share of the insurance has seemed reasonable and theres been no issue. However, out of the blue and part way through the insurance period, we received an invoice for an additional sum (that more than doubled the original annual figure). Following questioning they advised that a revaluation of the property had taken place and the sum insured was now almost 3 times the original amount. Can anyone advise 1) if this is acceptable practice and 2) whether there is anything in particular I should be asking for? I did receive a soft copy of the surveyor report but not a copy of the policy (even though I asked for it). I've so far withheld payment (only a month or so) but the demands and threats of admin charges have started and i would just like to understand my rights. Thanks

Hi, apologies in advance for the length of my earlier post :-), but follow the various steps outlined in that, perhaps, and also in andydd's post too.

Then let us know where you are with it all, in terms of demands already made of you too, the number of leaseholder's in the block, and whether you have withheld payment.

A PM is fine, if you are nervous about communicating too much on an open forum.

Also, whatever you send to me by PM will not be sent on to anyone else without your prior approval and will only be used to help you.

I'm in two minds as to whether an open forum is the best place to discuss these matters anyway, although I fully appreciate 'google' may have brought you here, which is no bad thing. If wish to send me a PM though you are welcome to do so and I will come back by PM as soon as I can.

Answers to questions inevitably raise further questions, of course, but fill in what gaps for us all that you can and will see where we can comment.

PS

andydd, hi, I've not been around for a little while (family and work commitments), but as I can't find an 'embarrassed' emoticon at the moment, will write later with regards your earlier message, hope that's ok...

Hi NewSAHD

Thank you for your swift response.

I would prefer to deal with this offline if possible but as a new user I cannot send PM's until I send 5 posts!?! Any suggestions other than sending you 3 more dummy posts?

Fredmac

Hi, apologies in advance for the length of my earlier post :-), but follow the various steps outlined in that, perhaps, and also in andydd's post too.

Then let us know where you are with it all, in terms of demands already made of you too, the number of leaseholder's in the block, and whether you have withheld payment.

A PM is fine, if you are nervous about communicating too much on an open forum.

Also, whatever you send to me by PM will not be sent on to anyone else without your prior approval and will only be used to help you.

I'm in two minds as to whether an open forum is the best place to discuss these matters anyway, although I fully appreciate 'google' may have brought you here, which is no bad thing. If wish to send me a PM though you are welcome to do so and I will come back by PM as soon as I can.

Answers to questions inevitably raise further questions, of course, but fill in what gaps for us all that you can and will see where we can comment.

PS

andydd, hi, I've not been around for a little while (family and work commitments), but as I can't find an 'embarrassed' emoticon at the moment, will write later with regards your earlier message, hope that's ok...

Hi NewSAHD

Thank you for your swift response.

I would prefer to deal with this offline if possible but as a new user I cannot send PM's until I send 5 posts!?! Any suggestions other than sending you 3 more dummy posts?

Fredmac

You're more than welcome. PM on it's way to you...