• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3646 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Took out a 3 year business contract on 29/8/07 with edf energy. We have now been told that as we didnt renew or cancel the contract by 30/6/2010 we have automatically been put on a rolling contract and we are now signed up with them for another year. The price has gone up by 4p per unit. Are they allowed to do this? Can they renew a contract automatically when the 3 years are'nt even finished yet? They have said to cancel the contract now and change to another supplier who is cheaper they will charge us £500!

thanks

I can scarcely imagine that a roling contract can't be terminated with a month's notice.

What does it say in the T&Cs of the original contract? Have you asked them to identify the specific term which they are relying on

Just rang them as a little bored waiting for my kids and little intreigued, or nosey:p

Told me on their nice 0800 number for buisiness contracts on website and spoke to me that it will be a maximum of 30 days to leave them;)

So I said I was ringing on behalf of concerned friend and they were told on 21/7 differently and he said no 30 days xx I just read word for word your comment and was again told 30 days no problem xx

Hope that helps they should have record you called xx:D

• 2 months later...

:mad2: I've got the same problem. Been trying to get out of a contract since 2009. It was a 2 year one taken out with B.Gas. in 2007. We contacted them in November as the price shot up on the contract by an extra 4.62p kWh and 13.56p day standing charge. They advised me that the contract terminated in October and it was a rolling contract and that was the reason for the change in price. I said hold on if its a rolling contract shouldn't the price stay the same? Not so.

I made a note of the date 26th October and contacted them today to cancel and they said it would not terminate til 2011. Objected to their prices as on price comparison sites I am getting quoted rates which are 6.57 kWh cheaper and 20.95 day standing charge. All attempts to cancel blocked and stalemate reached.

Took out a 3 year business contract on 29/8/07 with edf energy. We have now been told that as we didnt renew or cancel the contract by 30/6/2010 we have automatically been put on a rolling contract and we are now signed up with them for another year. The price has gone up by 4p per unit. Are they allowed to do this? Can they renew a contract automatically when the 3 years are'nt even finished yet? They have said to cancel the contract now and change to another supplier who is cheaper they will charge us £500!

thanks

Rednurse, yes they can do this. As you say it's a business contract and part of that contract are terms & conditions to be adhered to. EDF require 30 days notice and they will have sent you a letter offering new prices BUT it will have been phrased along the lines of "you don't need to do anything....etc etc" it catches many many business's out. There are way's and means of improving the situation but every situation is different and without more information I wouldn't be able to help. If you're still on here (as OP was back in July) let me know where you are with negotiations with EDF.

:mad2: I've got the same problem. Been trying to get out of a contract since 2009. It was a 2 year one taken out with B.Gas. in 2007. We contacted them in November as the price shot up on the contract by an extra 4.62p kWh and 13.56p day standing charge. They advised me that the contract terminated in October and it was a rolling contract and that was the reason for the change in price. I said hold on if its a rolling contract shouldn't the price stay the same? Not so.

I made a note of the date 26th October and contacted them today to cancel and they said it would not terminate til 2011. Objected to their prices as on price comparison sites I am getting quoted rates which are 6.57 kWh cheaper and 20.95 day standing charge. All attempts to cancel blocked and stalemate reached.

BGB would have sent you a letter on or around 120 days before the end of the contract period. It would have offered new prices (the ones your on now) and would also have given a date that you needed to inform them that you wished to cancel to be free to tender in the open market for a new contract.

I'm a little unclear on your dates above:

1) What date did the 2007 contract start (date of the opening reading)

2) What date did the rate change in 2009?

3) What do you mean when you said you noted the date 26th October? In what year and why did you note that date?

You have a 30 day window in which to cancel with BGB you can't cancel before or after and it needs to be in writing/email not on the phone.

BGB also have various different "sales" departments and depending on which one you approach will depend on the response/helpfulness.

Didn't know the date it terminated originally so rung in November 2009 which is when we thought we took it out and were advised that a letter had been sent to us. We didn't receive it. It was also not made clear how much notice they required. I will write to them and ask for a copy of the contract and ask notice period. Evidently this letter set out the new rates! They advised us of the date of 26th October, 2007, this was taken out. So now they have rolled over to another 2 year contract on extortionate rates.

I thought you could terminate a rollover contract after one year for a small business? Just been reading some details about Ofgem making this illegal but not read it all or got my head round it yet. Not sure if it only relates to new contracts. I honestly think all rollover contracts should be made illegal. So many people are getting caught out on this. If you take out a contract for two years it should be for that period and a new contract signed for after this time.

Didn't know the date it terminated originally so rung in November 2009 which is when we thought we took it out and were advised that a letter had been sent to us. We didn't receive it.

The letter will typically go to the meter address rather than the billing address if different.

It was also not made clear how much notice they required. I will write to them and ask for a copy of the contract and ask notice period. Evidently this letter set out the new rates! They advised us of the date of 26th October, 2007, this was taken out. So now they have rolled over to another 2 year contract on extortionate rates.

The letter would have started "Congratulations you don't need to do anything"...and at that point you probably binned it as marketing material. Later in the letter it would have given you a date to call them by and to email a termination letter to them by. The new rates would have been on the back of the letter.

What rates have they locked you in to? i.e. what are you calling extortionate and what are you comparing it to? The market has moved significantly over the past 2 years with both highs and lows so are you comparing like with like when you are assessing what is fair?

I'm not defending their practices but the reason that business's pay high rates on non-tendered contracts is because the energy market moves on a daily basis and when you contract with them at say 10p/kWh when the market is at 8p/kWh the extra 2p is their profit so they will buy your annual estimated consumption upfront to lock in their margin. However when they don't hear from you OR you are not in contract they have to buy what you actually use at the time you use it and because they have no idea which direction the market is going to go in, they put you on a higher rate to hedge the risk of the market rocketing.

Just been reading some details about Ofgem making this illegal but not read it all or got my head round it yet. Not sure if it only relates to new contracts.

The new rules took effect from 18 January 2010 and will apply to all new contracts entered into on or after that date. The conditions will not apply retrospectively, meaning that for customers on existing contracts, the new rules will only begin to apply when the contract is extended on, or after that date.

Is the 26th October the date the contract ended i.e. date the rate changes on the invoice OR the date that termination had to be given by? There may be things you can do to reduce the rate (but not leave BGB) depending on the answer to this question.

Edited by MrOverheads

Appears I can't get out of it but will send the letter to get it clarified. I was advised on phone that 26th October was termination date. And in answer to the rate question I got a comparison site to do the figures for me. Rate 14.57 kwh and 40.95 day. Thanks for your help. Sorry dont know how to do those box things yet. New to this site.

I was advised on phone that 26th October was termination date.

Sorry to be pedantic but you need to be really specific when talking to them "termination date" could be interpreted as a) the date you need to terminate by OR b) the date that the contract ends, the notice period with BGB is 90 days.

Rate 14.57 kwh and 40.95 day.

Those are high, but if it has only just rolled over and you are nice to them on the phone AND you get the right department, but don't use terms like rip off, unfair, extortionate and even illegal as you used above etc etc then they may put you on a lower rate contract but you need to be calm, nice and polite.

Also diarise that termination notice window (120 days to 90 days) before the contract ends for 2 years time to ensure it doesn't happen again.

What is your annual usage? (in kWh and in £, if you don't know kWh then £'s will do, but kWh is better.)

The last thing that is still unclear. If you contracted for 2 years in 2007 ,that takes you to 2009, then a 2 year rollover takes you to 2011, where does the 2009 2 year rollover come into it? Did they roll you over for 1 year in 2009 and another 2 years in 2010?