• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mackenzie Hall - Who has seen it through with them?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've done some searching and i can't see many step by step examples of how people have warded off these people. I've had a debt sold on to them from Quickquid for £992 and i got an email the next day from Mackenzie Hall demanding immediate payment of this outstanding amount.

I explained to them that i have a range of other debts, am about to be made redundant at the end of the month with a small settlement and therefore i have limited options to repay the debt. I offered them £350 from my redundancy payment which they refused and then told them that as i'd have no income i wouldn't be able to pay more than £10 per month which would come direct from benefit payments.

They have said that they will accept these payments of £10pcm but that they will be treated as a token payments and that the collection process will continue including the persual of a county court judgement which will likely add £100 to the outstanding balance and severely affect my credit rating (in their words).

Now i'm on the understanding that a county court judgement will just make me pay what i can pay and i will literally just have contribution based jobseekers allowance until i find something else so £10pcm is a fair amount in my opinion.

So whats the typical end game in this situation, what happens next, will they pursue this judgement, will they come back with a settlement figure from my redundancy payment or will they just keep on texting/calling/emailing me?

I'd really appreciate some advice from anyone who's dealt with them, feel free to pm me if you don't want your words in public...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mucky Hall are full of crap.

They will tell you anything to get cash out of you

Firstly stop talking to the idiot on the phone, get everything in writting.

This outfit only usually try to collect on debts no one else will touch due to their unenforceabilty.

So I would get a CCA request off to Mucky's pronto, more than likely they will have no paperwork to prove any right to collect this debt, so you can tell them to bog off.

I have dealt with these plonkers a number of times, they are full of s**t,

Don't pay them anything

Its not for Muck Hall to say what they will and wont accept.

Either tell them to bog off or offer them a £1 per month as a token payment which is more than enough for someone who is not working.

Failing that, simply report these clowns to the OFT and trading standards.

Report Mackenzie Hall to Alan Stewart at East Ayrshire Trading Standards, what they are telling you is totally wrong.

If they pursue court whilst you are paying £10 a month they will look rather silly if the judge says "This person is on benefits, benefits are not there to pay peoples debts, £1 a month is all they can have."

Explain the situation to him via email and he will have words with them. He is excellent at getting them stopped - hes now stopped them twice for me.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in responding, i didn't realise i'd had so many helpful responses.

I've just returned to my mums home (which they have as the correspondance address) and they have replied to the CCA request with a Fixed-Sum Loan Agreement contract with my details on it so i'm not sure what i can do with this information now that i have it. My curcumstances haven't changed though so as suggested i'm going to contact Alan Stewart as requested and ask for his advice tomorrow morning. I'm actually not very stressed about it because i simply can't afford to pay and i'm learning to only worry about the things you can control.

Will post an update after contacting Alan Stewart.

Thanks again everyone.

Remember one thing. It is YOUR money and only YOU can decide how it is best used. As has been said previously, £1 per month is more than enough. If you really want to annoy them and get one over on them, tell them "following your rejection of my recent offer, I have sought help in this matter and have worked out my Income and Expenses in detail. This has shown that I was far exceeding my disposible income by offering £10 per month, which amount you refused to accept. In line with Court supplied I & E Forms and taking into account my income and priority debts, together with the fact that I am on means tested benefits this means that the most I can now offer is £1 per month. Payments will be commenced on (whatever date you choose). Should you refuse to accept these payments I will assume that you have made the decision to close my file with your company."

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up I've heard back from Alan Stewart and after i explained the situation he replied with :-

The problem you have with Mackenzie Hall is unfortunately not something I can assist with. However your local Citizens Advice Bureau should be able to help or advice can be sought from the National Debtline.

I'll just keep fending them off anyhoo but it sounds as though he's not interested in them anymore?

What actually did you tell him, did you complain about the way they keep contacting you via alternative addresses, or just that they are contacting you about a debt you cannot pay.

If it is a fixed sum agreement you have there it is possibly unenforceable via the courts, why not go to CAB as you are now unemployed and see what they can do to help.

• 3 months later...

Well they've moved on to telling me about the impending doorstep visit from Meritforce. I've read up on them and will send off the template letter to stop them visiting. It's a pain because the address they have for me is my mum's address which i've temporarily moved back into and i'm worried that if they come round then i won't be there and she'll panic.

Bad times.

I also note that they've registered a default on my credit file back in July which buggers me for another 5.5 years so all in all this is probably the worst christmas ever. I guess my only option is to try and negotiatiate a full and final settlement that includes the removal of this default and and credit entries but i can't see anything on here from people who've successfully managed to deal with them. What kind of discounted amount would they likely accept for a £992 debt?

Yeah, i have to get even a little money together first though.

When did they start talking about coming round? We've had no post for a few weeks here and i got the letter yesterday dated 10th December...

I've dealt with these muppets several times and seen them off every time. As said above they like to deal with pretty much unrecoverable debts or totally unenforceable debts. They buy them very cheap and try to bully people into paying.

They have to make an appointment to visit you at your home, and you are quite within your rights to refuse this (normally the letter has small print at the bottom asking you to phone to arrange the visit). If they visit they are committing tort of trespass.

Two main things from reading your post so far, both of which have alredy been mentioned, but I'll reiterate:

1. Never ever talk to these people over the phone. Insist on everything in writing and if they can't be bothered to write to you then you have nothing to say to them.

2. £10 is far too much. Personally I've never paid these people one penny and they've always gone away. HS's advice of sending the letter saying you've sought advice and filled in a court Income and Expenditure form is a good one. Tell them that on your income it shows your initial offer of £10 per month was clearly way too much and would not have been sustainable, so you are revising it to what you have been advised a judge would be likely to make you pay in court. Specify the date on which you are going to start paying then stick to it religiously.

I wouldn't worry too much about your credit record. 5 1/2 years seems a long time now, but it will fly past and who knows what will happen in the meantime.

Muck Hall have been chasing me now for 3 months for a debt which isn't even mine!!!!

Got the same response back from Alan Stewart as you did in post 12, nothing on my credit record unfortunately so will let them keep writing.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Stewart works for the East Ayrshire Council in the Trading Standards department. Their website states (the tradding standards service) "is responsible for the administration of Trading Standards legislation within the boundaries of East Ayrshire.

"This governs the quantity, quality, safety, price and description of goods and services, consumer credit, the safe storage of petrol and the accuracy of commercial weighing and measuring equipment."

I read this as meaning if a trader, and let's be straight about this, Mackeanzie Hall are in business to make money, misbehaves it is the responsibility of the trading standards department to do something about it. I would ask Stewart or his immediate superior or the councillor in charge of his department, why they can't do anything about this excuse of a company. Don't take a fob-off as a proper reply. These people are civil servants and should be reminded they are employed toserve the public.

mucky hall will not take you too court, and even if you now pay em they wont remove the default either, they are nothing but a joke...personally i would take the advice above, dont stress, and under no circumstances contact them by phone. they will convince you that the moon is made of cheese in order to extract a payment... i personally have never paid these parasites a penny and nothing has ever happened...including their 'visits'......they are nothing more than bullies and deserve to be treated as such......

I've just had a stiff drink and had a look at my credit file, i've seen the default that they've placed on my account and i wondered if there is anything i can do about it for the following reasons:-

(1) The company name is Mackenzie Hall Debt Purchase who i never entered into business with and i never agreed that they could record information upon my credit file

(2) The debt type is listed as Mail Order which isn't a correct classification

(3) I was defaulted on 25/06/10 and the status history just shows (8 ), it doesn't list any prior credit history leading up to this ie 1/2 months late

I've emailed them regarding the authorised collector visit following the really useful CAG template so if anyone does come to visit then i will be more than happily in touch with the trading standards guy again.

I do understand that 5.5 years isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things but i have grand plans to turn it all around and start saving for a house in the next 24 months, it's hard to do that with a default hanging over your head.

mucky hall will not take you too court, and even if you now pay em they wont remove the default either, they are nothing but a joke...personally i would take the advice above, dont stress, and under no circumstances contact them by phone. they will convince you that the moon is made of cheese in order to extract a payment... i personally have never paid these parasites a penny and nothing has ever happened...including their 'visits'......they are nothing more than bullies and deserve to be treated as such......

Thanks for this advice, i've got them to stop calling me a while back, they email me every now and then but nothing too intrusive. If i did come to an arrangement with them listing the removal of the default as a condition for the full and final settlement then they would legally have to remove it wouldnt they?

They have said that they will accept these payments of £10pcm but that they will be treated as a token payments and that the collection process will continue including the persual of a county court judgement which will likely add £100 to the outstanding balance and severely affect my credit rating (in their words).

This is prejudicing a court judgement - it is designed purely to scare, but also legally weakens their case. Unwise.