Stolen Mobile Phone Charges: follow the money

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4323 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Same here, by the time I realized my phone was either lost or stolen, it was 3 days and I have a bill for £1200 for calls made every 3 mins to Nigeria. I have spoken to Vodafone and of course they said the fault was on me. But if for the past 12 month, my bills were barely £20, surely they should be a way to alert the customer service people to notify the owners of the mobile phone that there's something strange on the calls made?

My bank calls me if a bogus transaction is made? Isn't there a regulation with regards to the mobile company? Apparently as this is a work phone, there's no limitation in terms of the usage, but I don't think I was ever informed.

When I did call customer service 2 days after to put a bar on the phone, I made sure they had a look at the bills and they said they were no charges on to the phone, so I was quite relaxed but a month later, to my surprise I got the bill for £1200! and when I called again, the customer service said, oh, for international calls we sometimes can't track upto 3 months! They could have told me that but they didnt....

I am a mum to be just about to go on to maternity and there's no way I have this amount of money and wish the government put some regulations to the mobile phone companies knowing that there are so many theft going on.

Any advice, much appreciated.

I have spoken to Vodafone account manager and they are not willing to negotiate as this will not be fair for those other people within the firm who had to pocket out the money (so they say) as apparently about 10-12 similar cases happens per year all of them calls to Nigeria on premium rate. So if this has been happening, why couldn't they alert their customers when there are about 50-70 calls a day made..... apparently unless the phone call is not more than £50, it doesn't alert them and criminals know about the limit so keep their phone calls below that level.

I should try to get some sort of petition.... although I do understand liability lies on me, but surely this is fraudulent usage....

hi Julia2010

Vodafone and the other Network Operators (mobile and fixed line) have systems in place to detect this type of fraud. Unfortunately it's only used to protect the Networks.

ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/ist/docs/ka4/10187.pdf

1) &RQWUDFWXDO)UDXG - all frauds in this category generate revenue through the normal use of a service whilst having no intention of paying for use. Examples of such fraud are Subscription fraud and Premium Rate fraud.

Subscription fraud can take many guises, but can be divided into two classes, one where people enter the contract with no desire to pay for service, and the other where people decide part way through a contract that they will no longer pay for service. The latter case usually results in a dramatic change in usage behaviour. However, the former case has no usage history to compare the initial heavy usage against. In this case additional subscriber information is required to try and assess the risk associated with the subscriber.

Premium Rate Fraud involves two actions - the setting up of a Premium Rate Service, and the acquiring of a number of phones to call this number. The actual mechanism used for perpetrating the fraud will depend upon the payment scheme used for the Premium Rate Service. If the Premium Rate Service receives a share of the revenue generated for the Network, then the phones will make long duration calls to the Premium Rate number. If the Premium Rate Service receives money from the network according to the number of calls received by the Service, then the phones will make a high number of short duration calls. The phones that have been calling this number will then not have their bills paid. The signature of such fraud is therefore dependent on the payment scheme used for the Service, but will be a number of high risk phones either making repeated long duration calls or many short duration calls to certain Premium Rate numbers.

so why does it appear in your case although the Vodafone AIT (Artificially Inflated Traffic) monitoring system would have flagged up possible fraud did they still passed on the revenue?......or did they!

How did they know it wasn't you that had obtained the Nigerian International premium rate numbers to call and collect the revenue?

ps

the numbers almost certainly are not terminated in Nigeria. In many cases they are 'short stopped' in London for example to increase revenue share between the Networks and companies in the revenue chain.

And was Vodafone really at risk of losing money due to fraud? Here's the 'carrier' agreement companies sign with BT.

If you had been a genuine fraudster, Vodafone would have simply asked the company in the revenue/share chain to return that money('charge back')

All the Networks(fixed line/mobile) have very similar agreements.

Artificial inflation of traffic - The Scream!