Jump to content

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3719 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I work for a largish company in Lancashire (I won't be naming names) but last year there was no pay review, despite the fact the company was doing well in the recession. Today we had our pay review. It was partly based on our Personal Development Plans (which end up with a score, that score denotes the percent of pay rise you receive, in my case it's 3 so I recieve 3%), plus 2%, making a total of 5%. It turns out the 2% comes from everyones comission, in my position it is fixed, at 48p per hour, some others it's flexible from 0p to around £1 per hour. They have taken 12p from the comission and it is now part of our wages (it was £6.10, this will make it £6.22 per hour). So the 2% is essentially comission moved over to wages making my fixed comission to 36p per hour. The only time it will have any effect is bank holidays and my holiday entitlement.


It shows on the letter I recieved that I have a 5% pay rise.


The question is, can they claim it's 5% when the 2% comes from something I already recieve? In effect I have recieved a 3% pay rise, the other I was already getting in my fixed comission.





Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah the joys of manipulating figures!


Unfortunately, however they choose to spin it is up to them. They are effectively giving you a 3% rise and at the same time changing your contracted commission rate to dress it up as something it isn't. You can argue about the reduction in the commission being either an Unlawful Deduction, or a breach of contract, but what they are in effect doing is providing a sweetener by way of a pay rise which will more than compensate for the loss in commission.


Not as good as they are saying it is, but it seems reasonable overall, and facing facts, any rise is a result in the current climate.


Clever accounting though - sure you don't work for a DCA lol?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.






If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...