npg2funky

Can anyone help us?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3678 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi all,

Only just found this site. Basically, i have run into trouble the the Abbey/Santander. In Jan this year, we got a frightful shock as out cards suddenly had been declined.

We have a 2800 overdraft but for some reason Abbey allowed us to spend right up untill we hitl almost 5,500 pounds, then the cards declined. You may say we should have checked out statements, but we never recieved any bank statements untill the one in Jan which was one hell of a shock.

On the statement there where bank charges of over 350 quid for that one month alone. Cut a long story short, they have now withdrawn the overdraft entirely, and we are left with 3,500 to pay back over 20 months. I phoned them and tried to get some arrangement settled with them, i even borrowed money from a family member to try and cut down the amount. I managed to get 1000 pounds so they have now put us on to a management programme to pay back the 2,500 over the next 20 months at approx 120 pounds a month. This basically means i dont have the funds for basic living as this is like an extra loan.

Although i was in the wrong to spend the money, surely Abbey should have warned me some way? Even stopped our cards after we went over the 2,800 ? Or phoned us or something?

I have a feeling that they where quite prepared to let us keep spending because they where taking over 300 quid a month in charges for their own gain.

Have i any way of trying re-claim these charges? I cant afford to repay this 120 a month, ive tried contacting them but they refuse to help me out in anyway. I even called to the local branch and the girl said that they where busy and gave me the number of the call centre instead.

Do i have any course of action?

Many thanks and i apologise for the long post.

hi

npg2funky,

never pay what you cannot afford, you are in control, and tell them you want to make a token payment of £? PER MONTH, whatever you can afford, start paying this, even if they do not agree, as long as you pay something off, and that this is all you can afford, they cannot do anything,

many do not agree to anything, and do not help, so you have to tell them,

national debtline if you rang them would tell you all this, and when you write to them send it recorded delivery every time, and tell them you want the interest freezing and charges, you can send them your expenditure form and list of creditors if you have anymore, and show them by doing this that is all you can afford, if they do not ask for this, do not send it.

national debtline told us all this what i am telling you now, and if you go on their website their is a phone number you can ring them on if you want any further advice, and they send a booklet too which is great and full of knowledge, hope this helps.

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol: