• Tweets

• Now I wonder, if the land is owned by the council and they can  use the RTA to enforce their rules why do they emply a bunch of banditd to manage the place? It woudl be easy to argue that the "fine" should be that set by local govt  and thus be about £30, not 390. this means Highview's demands are thus an unlawful penalty as they are higher than the prescribed tariff so they would lose a court claim on that basis regardless of the validity fo their contract with the LL and the motorist.   that means a complaint could be put to the local govt ombudsman and the council would have to behave and probably have to pay up compensation to the aggrieved motorist for the unlawfulness and distress so enfield would be around £130 a ticket down for every one challenged
    • If no Planning Permission, signs etc are illegal and no contract can exist, as it would be founded in a criminal action, signs without correct permissions to be erected.  PE have been caught out by this many times.  they are owned by Capita, same bunch that run TV Licensing for BBC
    • Yes, fill out the bit forwarded to yu by the car hire co adn take them on if you wish. you will need to be returning to Margate to get piccies of the place but in the meanwhile read up on private parking and also ahve a look at thaney councils planning portal and see if PE have permission to put their signs and cameras up in the first place
    • you need to edit that response as it was sent to a bunch of lawyers acting as debt collectors. so drop the bit about rentathreats. I would add the salutation Dear Ashley, it is no use trying to hide, we all know it is you writing this garbage.....     reason for thi is that a person well known in parking world isnt listed as having a controlling interest in the company contrary to Company Law
    • as they target commercial vehicles it isnt usually necessary to get the keeper details, they just demand money from the company that has their logo plastered on the side of the lorry. There is also different law surrounding their demands as the POFA doesnt apply and it isnt a consumer contract. You will unfortunately need to do a lot of reading up about these people as they ahve had mixed success in the courts so a bit of a lottery as to what bits of previous cases to use as being relevant.   However, the signage is on your side as ity mentions removal of vehicles, which means that unless the byelaws specifically allow it (and then the cost of removal doesnt necessarily ahve to be borne by the vehicle owner) then it is  unlawful and possibly illegal so that makes the whole contract void as it is a criminal compact   Proserve have a very complicated arrangement with the landowner and that means they have to pay the landowner for every trespass and then claim the money back form the vehicle driver/owner. in practicve they dont pay a peny in advance (can you imagine how long they would be inbusiness if they ahd to fork out hundreds of thousands a week with little prospect of recovering those advances?)   they also stop vehicles entering the docks if the company that owns it refuses to pay or has beaten them in court before despite not having any powers to do so. A vindictive, dishonest outfit.
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
Lionmeetstiger

Please help re. debt collection agency chasing money

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3671 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Here's the story.

My girlfriend is from Asia and had been living in the UK for a number of years. She had a credit card with HSBC that she was paying off, but then left the country under the assumption that the debt was being taken care of by someone else.

She recently came back to discover that the debt had not been paid and now has Wescot Credit Services chasing her for £3700. She called them today and they've said she can either pay the £3000 in full or pay £172 per month over three years.

£172 over three years seems like a massive amount to me and would put her in all sorts of financial trouble.

She also doesn't have anywhere near the £3000 to pay it in full.

I've thought about the possibility of a loan to pay off the £3000 but she says that her new bank (three months new) won't give her one because she only has a temporary contract at work and because she has not been with them very long.

At this point i'm running out of ideas. Would wescott consider negotiating the repayments down and spread out over a longer time period. I'm shocked by their offer as it works out to way more than the debt itself.

Is there any cheaper way to get the £3000. Are there any loan companies with reasonable APRs that will consider lending her the money, given her situation?

Please help.

Thanks

ps i know this has probably been answered many times but i don't have time to search. Wescot want an answer by 9pm tonight.

You could consider offering them an amount as a full and final settlement. I am hoping to to this with Barclays and am hoping someone on here can give me an idea of how much I should offer and how to go about it. I have read that you can offer as little as 15% of the total amount, although obviously the more you can offer the more chance there is of it being accepted.

I am also going to search here for threads regarding full and final settlements as it may be my only option for clearing up a bit of a financial mess!

I hope it's an idea that might be of use to you. Good luck and I hope your girlfriend manages to sort things out.

You could consider offering them an amount as a full and final settlement. I am hoping to to this with Barclays and am hoping someone on here can give me an idea of how much I should offer and how to go about it. I have read that you can offer as little as 15% of the total amount, although obviously the more you can offer the more chance there is of it being accepted.

I am also going to search here for threads regarding full and final settlements as it may be my only option for clearing up a bit of a financial mess!

I hope it's an idea that might be of use to you. Good luck and I hope your girlfriend manages to sort things out.

Yes i'm researching like a madman as we speak (although i should probably be working :p) and it does seem as though these companies can and do accept some small full and final offers.

Any tips on what should be said to try and bring the amount down?

How are justifying £172 a month over 3 years? That's like 6k back? They,re not licensed to offer loans are they?

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

If anyone replies to my post regarding my problems with Barclays I will let you know what advice they give. I should imagine that taking the full amount and then knocking off any added charges might be a good starting point. Maybe you could then offer whatever percentage of the remaining balance you can realistically afford.

I gather from reading what I can find that debt collectors buy up many of these debts for tiny amounts, so if you can offer them something vaguely reasonable then most of them are happy to take what they can get. You may be in a better position than me as your girlfriend is dealing with a credit card and you can write to them asking to prove that she actually has a proper agreement with them (sorry can't remember off the top of my head exactly what it is called, it's something like a cca) and in some cases you can put the debt in dispute and not pay them anything until they can prove the debt. It may be worth a go for her, even if only to buy yourself some thinking time. You can also refuse to talk to the debt collectors by phone and ask for them to put everything in writing, again buying yourself more time and setting up a trail in writing that they cannot then dispute. You could do that tonight when they call. Ask for everything to be put in writing, and in the meantime you could ask (in writing) for them to prove that your girlfriend has a valid credit card agreement with them.

How old is the a/c, when was payment made last?

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

How are justifying £172 a month over 3 years? That's like 6k back? They,re not licensed to offer loans are they?

I know it's a ridiculous offer. My girlfriend speaks with an accent so i think the agent has probably sensed some vulnerability and has gone for a big sale. I might try and take over the phone call later. How they're justifying that offer i'd love to know.

How old is the a/c, when was payment made last?

The last payment was made approximately two years ago at which point it was just a normal credit card debt being paid each month.

When did she open the a/c and was it online?

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When did she open the a/c and was it online?

I doubt that it was online but i honestly don't know and i'm also not sure when it was opened.

What are you getting at here? (I know that sounds rude but it's not :))

My first advise would be to never speak to any DCAs etc. on the telephone over these matters, you have already surmissed that they abuse this method. Also, you do not have a paper trail of evidence, which is important.

Notwithstanding any other advice you may receive, it is important to remember one thing: Your (or your girlfriends) Money is just that YOURS to decide how you will use it for your requirements. YOU will have the ultimate right to decide how much you will pay towards this debt.

At worse, if it were to ever go before a judge, he would almost certainly not be best pleased and would probably take it as an abuse of Court time seeing as how regular payments were already being made, no matter how small, and the plaintiff (DCA) would more than likely receive a rebuff!

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

What are you getting at here? (I know that sounds rude but it's not )
Depending on how long ago and how it was applied for will determine on the likelihood of it being enforceable or not. Anyway for now send them a CCA request to see if they are entitled to collect this debt & if it's enforcable. If they fail to provide it within 12 working days from receipt, or the CCA is unenforcable you can legally withold any payment until they do. Send it recorded delivery enclosing a £1 postal order. When you get a reply, scan it & remove any identifying details and post it back here where we can have a look at it. We'll advise you from there;

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:- Account No: XXXXXXXX/Your Reference Number: XXXXXXX

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR). I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you intend to send a reconstituted copy of the CCA you must declare the reason why it has been reconstituted and if the original exists and in what form (microfiche) etc.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

Furthermore, with regards to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

You are reminded of the following under Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Trading Standards can bring about a prosecution if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under contract, he or she:

(a) harasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;

(b) falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;

© falsely represent themselves to be authorized in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment;

(d) utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character or purporting to have some official character which he knows it has not.

I am of the view that your harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Further to this if it is your intention to arrange a call from your 'Doorstep Collectors', I note that there is only an implied license under English Common Law for certain people to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Take note, I revoke license under English Common Law for you, or any of your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so without my permission, you will then be liable to damages for a tort of trespass. You would also be conspiring in a trespass if you sent someone to visit me nevertheless. Any trespassers you attempt to send therefore will be dealt with accordingly.Be further advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

(Print in red optional addition)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully **Edit to suit**

(Print do not sign signature)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

as above..neither you nor your girlfriend should discuss this on the phone with them under any circumstances..they WILL lie and try to frighten you into paying as much as possible. They DO NOT have the right to dictate how much you girlfriend can afford.

I would send them a formal request for the credit agreement to see if they have the right to collect this. The letter link is in the CCA request link below.

Elsa x

Edit..Cerbs got it covered!

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

PLEASE NOTE... I AM MOST SORRY BUT I HAVE VERY LIMITED AVAILABILITY AT THE MOMENT DUE TO EXTREME PRESSURE OF WORK - IF YOU REQUIRE URGENT HELP ON YOUR THREAD AND ARE GETTING NO RESPONSE PLEASE HIT THE TRIANGLE FOR SITE TEAM ASSISTANCE. ELSA XXX

Please check out my BLOG for the quick guide to debt threats - it has all the info & letter template links you need to get started on your journey of TAKING CONTROL. :roll:

All opinions are my own based on research. I am not legally qualified, if in doubt please consult a legal expert.

Hope this has helped or made you smile. Keep your chin up, you're among friends now! Elsa xxx

Please click the *star* of any CAG member who has helped you .

Wescot want an answer by 9pm tonight.

Ha Ha! They will have to wait a bit longer than that! Just to re-iterate what others have said... If you were contemplating talking to them on the telephone tonight, don't do it. Not tonight. Not ever.

Cerbs advice is the way to go - in my experience. If they do phone this evening, either ignore it or tell them that a letter is on its way.

Good luck!

Please note, I am not professionally qualified in legal matters. Should you have any doubts, you should contact a legal expert.

However, I can and will help with matters regarding payroll as I am fully qualified.

If I've helped in any way, you're welcome to click on my "star" and thanks, but I gain the most satisfaction simply by helping/reassuring :O)