Sickofbanks -v- If will post letter copys etc comments appreciated!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm starting the recovery process today.....I've had enough and I'm not going to take it anymore!....Thought it might help others if I copied my letters/replies etc. If they work great, if not well you may not repeat my mistakes!

Here's my first letter asking for the info...

31st August 2006

The Customer Relations Manager

Intelligent Finance

I Baird Rd

Kirkton Campus

Livingston

EH54 7AZ

Dear Sir/Madam

Account 8888888888888

Account Holders Mr Sickofbanks

Please send us a comprehensive list of all the charges that you have made to our account in the past six years, showing the date and amount of each charge, and a description of what it was for. We make this request using our rights under the Data Protection Act and expect your response within 40 days.

We have enclosed a cheque for £10 as payment for this request. As you are aware this is the maximum charge that can be levied under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998. Please note specifically that I am not requiring copy statements, but the listing as described above.

Yours Faithfully

I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile if the old hands spot any errors perleeeze tell me!

What a great site this is!

Hi there,

I dont want to quash your enthusiasm but although your letter is good my opinion is that you really should use the templates available in the library. This is for a good reason as they all include things essential to your case - ie the Data Protection Act letter includes a piece about manual intervention - this is a possible excuse the banks could pull out of the bag should this go to court - so you need to request it with your Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act, which unfortunatly your letter doesnt. My advice is to stick to both the templates and the timescales set out by the forum and you will succeed in geting your money back!

Good Luck with your claim!

Miss P xx

• Confused 1

FD £691.50 SETTLED IN FULL £691.50 :D

FD CREDIT CARD £75, SETTLED IN FULL £75 :D

MBNA CREDIT CARD £1784 SETTLED IN FULL :D

BARCLAYCARD . . .£500 BACK SO FAR . . NOW OFF TO COURT FOR MY OTHER £1200

PLEASE BE AWARE . . .MY OPINION IS JUST THAT . . IF IN DOUBT SEEK QUALIFIED LEGAL ADVICE x

Thanks for that Miss Pickles. As luck would have it I had not posted the letter because I couldn't find my chequebook for the £10 cheque. No harm done!

I will definitely use the standard letter. I just let my enthusiasm get the better of me and being male and working in IT, reading instructions just doesn't come naturally to me!

Thanks for your help. I'll take it slower from now on

• 1 month later...

Had an interesting chat with IF customer relations today. I called them to point out (In a friendly manner) that they had yet to respond to my information request and that they had 10 days left before they contravened the relevent DP rules...

I was called back 10 minutes later by somebody who was 'just collating the information now' She asked me if I would prefer the charges to be listed with dates and amounts etc, Or whether I would rather a copy of my statements. She said ' I can't understand why anybody doing this asks for the statements as we charge the £10 for those, but if we have to arrange a special report we do that for free (!!).

She then said 'Obviously when I send you the report you'll be able to claim the refund easier won't you'

'Um yes' I replied.

Keep you posted.......

Got my schedule of charges and have totted them up and added the interest. (Total = >£2k). Used the standard letter and spreadsheet and have sent off the repayment request today.....now the wait!

So, like others dealing with IF I didn't have long to wait before the standard rejection letter which arrived this morning. (A three day wait)

So, back to the library for the next letter which will be off in the post today....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question for those in the know........

I've submitted my MCOL stuff and had the Notice of Issue back. However Hbos (trading as IF) have not communicated anything to anybody. No acknowledgement..... dispute....nothing. The deadline for a reply is only a few days away. I know that if they do nothing then I ask the court to enter judgement, BUT my question to anyone who's had this experience is this.

What's the quickest most pragmatic means of getting the money into my account? Contact Halifax and suggest they get their act together or go through the court? I have read elsewhere in here (but can't find the thread!)that getting a judgement through the courts can mean that the Halifax plead incompetence and get more time.

I'm not worried about the claim itself, just trying to get to the end point in the shortest time possible! (Christmas is coming)

• 3 weeks later...

Big day today.......All of the money reclaimed from IF reappeared in my bank account this morning (>£2,600).

Which was nice........

For all those contemplating trying this out, it really isn't difficult. My experience was that the only real pressure in the process came from me alone when I started anticipating getting the money.

The thing that adds to the pressure is that we expect these things to be quick. It won't be. Set the process running and make yourself diary notes. Then forget about it in the interim. My process was, I reckon, about as long as it is possible to make it, time-wise if the bank wants to drag it out. My first request for information was sent on the 4th September. I received my cash this morning, 20th December.

In all cases the process was run down to the wire in terms of acknowledging the request for info and the MCOL process. The money was received the day on which I was due to default the bank and call the bailiffs. I always replied by return or took the process to the next stage without delay. btw despite my first post I used all the standard templates rigidly and without exception.

Another small point. I believe it is a mistake to think that the banks are panicking or are running scared on this matter. Yes there is potentially £2bn at stake here, but when you split that amount across the UK clearing banks and the various credit card institutions the balance for the individual firms, while worth fighting for will not cause undue alarm if lost ( I speak as an ex City Treasury manager). The banks will drag it out because if nothing else their funds under investment will remain unaffected for longer.

In other words go for it....go for all of it. Stay resolute. You will win.

Now I'm off to start my Christmas shopping....

well done mate

repeat S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent recorded 20/10/06

list of charges & cheque for £10 received 24/10/06

Prelim letter sent 24/10/06

another £10 cheque received and lba sent 03/11/06

16/11/06 25% of claim offered