ripped off by another gym - again!

dm82

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know how do you go about finding out a previous promotional offer?

The reason why I ask is that back in February DW fitness ran a monthly special promotion for a one month membership on their website.

I recall at the time providing my bank details to take payment for 19.95 for a one month promotion. I recall receiving an email saying someone from the local Thanet gym to go down and sign the forms and get my membership card.

No one called. So I went there and they were really busy with a 2 week separate promotion whereby 1 member could let 3 friends in and the girl on the counter dished out forms to the many people at the counter at the time.

I duely completed the membership form. I signed the direct debit form but did not date it since in the middle of filling it in I noticed that it was for 6 months and this wasn't my deal. I explained to the girl and she said no problem and took the form from me and said she wouldn't send it off but needed to retain details because it doubles up as a membership form.

Then I discovered that DW Fitness took payment for the balance in March. Then in April and May, JJB Fitness (why the difference) took payments each for 19.95.

I have just been in to see the manager at JJB Sports and he has basically told me that the promotion that I signed up to in February never existed.

He refused to refund me the £39.90 and furthermore said that there is remaining balance for 5 months that I owe and that it has been passed over to a debt collector.

Therefore, how do I find out a previous promotion from a web page back in February? i know that they will have content management on the web pages but how do I go about retrieving this information?

Hi DM and welcome to CAG.

Have you tied a Google (or other) search to see if you can find details of the old promotion. Go back through older pages using the gym's name but also look for articles by others, that refer to the promo.

First off, you should decide if you want to simply remain a member and use the facilities paying the £20 monthly membership. If the answer is YES, fine.

If your answer is NO, start by cancelling the DD at your bank. Do this in writing, or use your online banking system if you have it.

Write to the gym at Westwood X by Recorded Del'y. (I was going to say you should also send a copy to their Head Office but I can't find an address for it !! )

Explain briefly that you explained to the desk clerk that you were only interested in the one month promo and she said the form would not be processed.

Despite this, they clearly have processed the form and have taken DD payments since then.

Tell them you approached the manager at Westwood X but he was unhelpful and suggested the promo never existed (don't worry if you can't find proof that it did).

Tell them you require a refund of the DD's which they have taken within 14 days or you will not hesitate to take further action including litigation at the County Court.

See if they respond and we'll take it from there.

Let us know if they fail to respond in 14 days and we'll help with the next letter and any court claim you need to make.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)