Jump to content

some advise please - job seekers.


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I really hope someone here can help me, any advise would be greatly apreciated.


I recieved a letter from the DWP on Friday stating that I owed them £1,626. 70. And that I had a month to pay. I telephoned them because I had absolutley no idea why I owed this money, they said it was an overpayment of job seekers allowance from july 1999! :shock: I asked why it had taken them so long to get in touch with me, they said they had to trace me, and had been sending letters to my previous address.


They refused to tell me which address they had sent this correspondance to - and I have lived at my current address for nearly seven years. I have been in full time employment for 8.5 years, am on the electoral register and have alway's paid my council tax.


They said they would send me my file in the next two weeks to show me why I owe this money - the only thing I can think is that my ex- partner may have been working when I claimed the job seekers allowance.


I haven't kept any financial records from that long ago, and I haven't seen my ex-partner in over nine years - so even though they said I can apeal how can I? This seems grossley unfair, I'm terrified, my work hours where recently cut by five a week because my employer is doing so badly, and I may soon be maid redundant. Can they do this?


Please help someone I'm at my wit's end and I realy dont know what to do.





Link to post
Share on other sites

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 yearslink3.gif to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpaymentlink3.gif and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans.


it would seem that they have waited far too long in order to try and reclaim this money

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...