Jump to content
quincy

British Gas Homecare 400- broekn boiler

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3611 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

First off, I haven't posted on here for years since I took my bank to court (and won - and donated to this site!).

 

I have had since November 2006 a British Gas Homecare 400 agreement, in March this year they declared my boiler dangerous and not fit for use.

 

During a routine repair the engineer tested for CO and found higher than normal levels so proceeded (without my permission) to attempt to remove a seal with a view to putting a new seal on. Unfortunately the engineer broke one of the 8 bolts holding the seal on then went on to break another. At this point he decided he had caused too much damage and declared the boiler unusable (which it now was).

 

The engineer quickly arranged a quote from BG (over 4k) for a new one, and as the boiler was over 7 years old the homecare agreement doesn’t provide a replacement.

 

I thought it may be best to get the manufacturer around to look (They are also heateam who also offer a care package) the engineer came, tried to put new bolts in but couldn't so he agreed it was no longer usable. He did however say that this boiler type (Powermax 155) should have 8 baffles/turbulators in and couldn’t find any - these are it seems long pieces of metal and should be replaced or checked every service.

 

I elected to shop around for a new boiler myself and in the end paid around £2300 for a replacement.

 

Soon after this I asked BG why their Homecare agreement, which is supposed to include a yearly service didn't discover these turbolators where missing and they said their service didn't need to check that.

Being out of pocket I invited BG to come check the old boiler, they sent a manager around, he verbally acknowledged the process wasn't followed and offered me 3 months free cover on my new boiler.

 

I refused so they sent a letter some 6 weeks later reiterating their offer of 3 months refund (a different offer you'll note).

 

This I refused also and sent an LBA as I intended to recover the costs of the new boiler, its install and some kind of refund of my payments under the care agreement as their poor servicing didn't pick up a problem inside the boiler.

 

 

Now we're right up to date as I have had a visit from 2 managers (at the same time) in order to "reach a satisfactory resolution". We talked for over 90mins and in the end I agreed in order to reach a quicker resolution I would not pursue the service costs as I had used it on occasion for minor maintenance etc.

They said if they had installed it the labour would be zero to them so they wouldn’t pay labour and offered £700. I refused this as I had still paid the labour! I asked for 2,377 - they countered £1,300 (this was effectively the parts I paid for) so I countered with £1,877 which they agreed if I could provide receipts for all parts etc.

 

I sent them all receipts showing I’d paid £2377 but would accept £1877 as full and final settlement.

Next day I receive a call and the final offer from them is £1000 with no further discussion.

 

 

Phew! So, I am due to get letter tomorrow offering this amount or nothing.

I am of the opinion that the poor service not picking up the lack of the turbolaters has in some way caused the bolts atop the boiler to be weakened and therefore their actions caused the premature failing etc.

 

I still have the old boiler, is there any point in getting an independent inspection and continuing the Moneyclaim action or should I take the £1000 and think myself lucky!

 

Any views please!

 

 

thanks in advance, for reading this long post!

Edited by quincy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oops can a mod please correct the title of the post - slight typo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Quincy

 

So just to sum this up, the managers offered you £1877 and then changed their mind and offered you £1000 or nothing, after they admitted the engineer actually caused the need for boiler replacement and didn't follow process?

 

If I am reading this right, then it is absolutelty shocking. Don't accept the "all or nothing" approach as if you took this to the small claims court i'm sure you would win the full amount.

 

Send in a Subject Access Request for full information on what they hold on you. This should all account notes, which are left after visits from managers, usually advising what has been agreed. This should give you the notes confirming what was offered, and put you in a much better position if it goes to court.

 

I would also contact the call centre again, and tell them that you are unhappy with the service manager's resolution, and you would like the matter passed to the Operations Manager - do not take no for an answer!

 

Make sure the manager knows you are prepared to take this all the way and win, and not only will they be paying your full replacement charges but your legal charges as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for your answer,

The operations manager's words were the "satisfactory resolution" ones, and they arranged the two managers to visit.

 

I faxed the recipts to the Tech (i think it was technical) manager and he reiterated this was for £1877 settlement, which i wrote in the fax header also.

 

The Tech (?) manager then rung the next day to say it was now £1000 final.

I asked to speak again to the operations manager who now inisists it's £1000 or nothing - she won't discuss any further.

 

The exact process is what i'm not 100% clear of, during the meeting they said the only process was that the engineer should have called BG for guidance, and didn't. But this alone isn't proof they are wrong.

 

 

I like the SAR advice, i'll do that without delay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest then contacting the office and asking for it to be passed to the Regional Service Manager, who is the head of engineers for the area, and make the engineer's know that if you still don't get at least what was agreed, you will contact Chris Jansen, the Director of British Gas Service and Repair to inform him of the questionable work quality, poor service, and backtracking by the field managers.

 

Chris Jansen

British Gas

Lakeside House

The Causeway

Staines

TW18 3BY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

brilliant MrHandyman, very helpful, i'll keep you posted on here!

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest is, Regional tech manager - Mr S Fisher has called and sent a letter too, still offering "goodwill" of £1000.

 

He said the offer of £1877 was never that, it was (if mentioned , he says) a figure the two reps took away to ask their managers about.

 

I have asked for a SAR from head office, they did call and i asked why they'd withdrawn the offer of £1877, they were to call back - last week still no reply. The DPA/SAR they have acknowledged - 40days to provide details.

 

 

Mr Fisher confirmed that even though the engineer who broke the bolier should have asked the manufacturer to visit, the fact he didn't doesn't change the outcome because i did and the boiler still didn't get fixed.

 

 

He also said that i have a new boiler and my current one could have failed irrespective of BG.

 

 

I could do with £1000 to fix the Mrs car, so am tempted to just say yes!

on the other hand, i could start MCOL without the SAR could I not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the SAR stuff has arrived today, will have a read later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to close this off- i told them i had the dpa and it was riddled with errors, got a call 2 days later and they offered £1877.

 

clase closed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quincy, A fantastic result. Glad to hear you got what you deserved.

 

MrH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...