pay and display bays join meter bays PCN

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd be so grateful if you could help me with this £60 fine as the signage seems to be very unclear to me. The pay and display bays (on the left) join meter bays (on the right). I thought that I parked in a pay and display bay with a pay and display ticket as I considered the 'residents only' signpost to be the limit of it and therefore I parked on the right of it. Amazingly this was not the limit. On the parking bays, further to the right of the pay and display bays, there was a double line which was the indication of the end of the 'residents only' parking. Is this appropriate? Isn't it to confuse the driver? Is this legal at all?

I received this PCN statement:

‘Parked in a residents or shared use parking place or zone without clearly displaying either a permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place.’

I am writing this letter:

I wish to appeal this PCN on the grounds that the contravention did not occur.

I clearly displayed a ‘pay and display’ ticket issued for that place from 12:02 to 13.54 and I received a PCN at 12:17.

I understand that the ‘pay and display’ bays join meter bays. Please refer to my drawing: I parked on the right of the ‘residents only’ signpost where the ‘residents only’ parking bays logically stop, thus where the pay and display bays start i.e. I parked according to the most obvious and logical signage in a pay and display bay. Should this signage be wrong or unclear, then it does not comply, therefore the contravention did not occur. Hence I trust the PCN will be cancelled.

Would you please help me write a strong letter that will hopefully cancel my PCN? I find this rule from Islington Council totally unfair, a real trap.

Many thanks in advance for all your help

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Your post for some reason is s bit garbled and difficult to read (especially on a Sunday!).

can you post some pics up of the signage or give us the exact location so we can see if it is covered by steeet view?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I'd be so grateful if you could help me with this £60 fine as the signage seems to be very unclear to me. The pay and display bays (on the left) join meter bays (on the right).I thought that I parked in a pay and display bay with a pay and display ticket as I considered the 'residents only' signpost to be the limit of it and therefore I parked on the right of it. Amazingly this was not the limit. On the parking bays, further to the right of the pay and display bays, there was a double line which was the indication of the end of the 'residents only' parking. Is this appropriate? Isn't it to confuse the driver? Is this legal at all?

I received this PCN statement:

'Parked in a residents or shared use parking place or zone without clearly displaying either a permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place.’

I wish to appeal this PCN on the grounds that the contravention did not occur.
I clearly displayed a ‘pay and display’ ticket issued for that place from 12:02 to 13.54 and I received a PCN at 12:17. I understand that the ‘pay and display’ bays join meter bays. Please refer to my drawing: I parked on the right of the ‘residents only’ signpost where the ‘residents only’ parking bays logically stop, thus where the pay and display bays start i.e. I parked according to the most obvious and logical signage in a pay and display bay. Should this signage be wrong or unclear, then it does not comply, therefore the contravention did not occur. Hence I trust the PCN will be cancelled.

Would you please help me write a strong letter that will hopefully cancel my PCN? I find this rule from Islington Council totally unfair, a real trap. Many thanks in advance for all your help.

parking on Fonthill Road.jpg

I'd be so grateful if you could help me with this £60 fine as the signage seems to be very unclear to me. The pay and display bays (on the left) join meter bays (on the right).

I thought that I parked in a pay and display bay with a pay and display ticket as I considered the 'residents only' signpost to be the limit of it and therefore I parked on the right of it. Amazingly this was not the limit. On the parking bays, further to the right of the pay and display bays, there was a double line which was the indication of the end of the 'residents only' parking. Is this appropriate? Isn't it to confuse the driver? Is this legal at all?

I received this PCN statement:Parked in a residents or shared use parking place or zone without clearly displaying either a permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place.’

I wish to appeal this PCN on the grounds that the contravention did not occur. I clearly displayed a ‘pay and display’ ticket issued for that place from 12:02 to 13.54 and I received a PCN at 12:17. I understand that the ‘pay and display’ bays join meter bays. Please refer to my drawing: I parked on the right of the ‘residents only’ signpost where the ‘residents only’ parking bays logically stop, thus where the pay and display bays start i.e. I parked according to the most obvious and logical signage in a pay and display bay.

Should this signage be wrong or unclear, then it does not comply, therefore the contravention did not occur. Hence I trust the PCN will be cancelled. Would you please help me write a strong letter that will hopefully cancel my PCN? I find this rule from Islington Council totally unfair, a real trap. Many thanks in advance for all your help

Original post reformatted

Cannot read the signage unfortunately. But if there are 2 sets of bays with different restrictions, the signage should have the two restrictions on them with small black arrows indicating which sign is relevant to which bays.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I am going back there today and will take pictures of:

the residents only signpost

the pay and display signpost

the double marking

the whole parking

Any other pictures I should think of?

In that case I would appeal it on the grounds that there is no indication on the signage to say which bay(s) they apply to.

Please Note

I posted my previous comment before I saw your additional pics. I note in pic 2 (img 82) I can see 3 bays and that the sign is positioned between bay 1 and 2. On the edge of bay 3 there is a double dash line which I assume indicates the boundary to which the sign applies. As far as I am aware, in such layouts the sign should be where the double days line is and there should be an arrow upon it indicating to the bay(s) it applies to which in this case would be pointing left. Additionally, there should normally be a second sign (possibly on the same post) with the restrictions shown about the bay(s) to the right and again with an arrow.

We have mixed resident only and 'normal' parking bays in the street where I live (although they run along the road side) and the signs have arrows (as I described) indicating which bays are which.

In my opinion, the double dashed lines between the 2 sets of bays by themself are insufficient in identifying which bays have which restriction.

I'm sure though, someone will have a different take on this.

Please Note