Various Benefits and a new Uni Student

vengeancedemon

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for a little guidance on the folllowing

Me 61 full time work basic plus variable overtime

Wife 53 Not working about to start 3 year non residential degrre course in Sept

Currently we receive Housing Benefit ( we rent) calculated on a) my age premium(?) and b) wages received ( averaged etc)

plus a small amount of Council Tax relief

Additional income is

1) Carers allowance to wife in respect of son 22 on permanent Incap B

This I understand is taken into account by local council in the "Income" Calculations His personl benefits are exempt

So far so good

Now, In September HRH will recive all sorts of student funding, ie tutuition fees ( direct to Uni) plus personal amounts etc etc

We fully intend to let LA and DWP know all this before the middle of September, but can anyone advise on what benefits may go, stay or ???

If full details are required, please advise

Also, a minor detail

I work as a lorry driver, pre Jan this year we were paid basic plus O/T and a daily tax free allowance for meals, and as and when, an overnight allowance (Sleeper Cab). These rates were sligtly over the levels agreed by HMRC and the Road Haulage Association and as such were tax free, and not required to be detailed on any benefits claims

Post Jan, a change in structure, wages were increased quite significantly ( Benefits advised) and the Allowances removed Thus a wage per hour includes the possibility of the tax free drivers allowances being paid

Should I detail this to a) Benefits and local authorities when we advise of the Student bit and b) Should I contact HMRC with details of daily log etc in respect of now being taxed on drivers' allowances which were previously exempt, difficult I know as the pre Jan amounts were a set figure per diem and paid on a separete day to wages by BACS

Advise gratefully received

Many thanks

Hi, i cant answer your question im sure others will be along shortly to do that, but i would like to say that i attended uni and now have many many thousands to pay back. i now study with the o.u. and pay monthly so at the end of my course i wont have anything to pay back, i seriously wish i had gone down the o.u. route in the first place. good luck with everything.