Citicard compensation ..... advice needed thanks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just after some opinions please .....

My partner has a citi credit card which we paid off (full and final settlement) in March this year and asked to close the account. They have been sending us monthly statements, applying charges and basically been a complete nightmare with the harrassment and refusal to close the account as agreed.

Today they finally admitted fault and closed the account (still awaiting for the letter so not holding my breath) and have offered us compensation but no figure. We have been advised to think about it over the weekend and get back to them on monday with an amount.

Unfortunately this problem has affected our credit report as they have logged we have missed 6 payments over the last 7 months despite the final settlement payment. This they are going to correct. But I started a new job on monday having handed in my notice and left my old position. Two days into this job which is in a financial environment I was advised that I couldn't keep my job due to the credit check they had run. Naively I didn't think Citi were at fault as they had told us they hadn't logged anything.

So tonight I have check both our credit files and the only negative is the issue with Citi. So this problem has cost me my job and my household £300 per month as I now have no job.

Citi are aware that they could be the cause of this and certainly changed their attitude when they were told and managed to solve a problem which so far has taken 7 mths in the space of an hour!

My question is what do we do? Obviously aside from looking for another job which could take a while given the current climate. What sort of compensation should we be seeking? We have told them if they are the problem on the credit file we will seek loss of my earnings from them (and we will certainly need it).

If we calculate the time put it, charges of phone calls, letters and my loss of earnings for a year it comes to about £6700 and 6 months loss of earnings is just over £3000 .... this seems very unlikely to me but their error has cost me my new job and will cause lots of financial difficulty. Really don't know what to do.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly received.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joanneg,

Just some initial thoughts but I would seek legal advise about this asap.

Under normal circumstances this site would be able to help with dodgey bank charges & PPI but this sounds a lot more serious.

A complaint to the FSA explaining what has happened would not hurt either but do get legal advise NOW.

Regards,

Bosun.

Please note: I have no formal qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith. :)