Could this work?? councils inside bailiffs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think this could possibly be a case of history repeating itself. It wasn't that long ago that the local authorities wanted to move away from having internal bailiffs with a preference for the use of private firms. You can get a good idea of the mentality of those implementing enforcement rules from this old 1992 document from Prescott's office.

http://www.local.communities.gov.uk/finance/ctax/goodprac.pdf

Council Tax Collection Good Practice

Prepared by the Operational Research Unit for the Local Government Finance division of ODPM

10. Bailiffs

10.2. Internal bailiff benefits and considerations

10.2.3. Internal bailiffs have salaries paid by the council (and charge the resident an extra admin fee), whereas external bailiffs take their fee directly from the admin fee charged to the resident, so it does not get recorded on the authority’s books. This means that some authorities could want to get rid of internal bailiffs (even if they have performed well) if the authority’s budget for Council Tax collection and recovery is cut, as an external bailiff’s fee is ‘hidden’ from the council.

10.2.4. Authorities can be worried about what could go wrong. If the bailiff is internal it could reflect badly on the council if something goes wrong (such as a resident complaining for having goods taken when they should not have been), whereas the council can pass the blame if they use an external company.

Though what is consistent are their views on encouraging council tax benefit claims, i.e. it effectively improves their collection rates by eliminating a percentage of resident that are included in the figures.

9.2. Benefits

9.2.4. Giving benefits to those that need them has been described as a double bonus. It means residents that might have struggled to pay no longer have to, and the council does not have to collect money from someone that would find it difficult to pay. For this reason it is good to encourage takeup of benefits.

Having councils own bailiffs to do the work of an outside company where does this fit in if the council tax dept is contracted to an outside company like for say Capita.

If I have been of help to you please feel free to click my scales to the left Thanks.:)

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is what I have learnt here and offered as a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

CARTER V Co-Op

BANK CHARGES

REFUNDED £3567

POMPEYFAITH V Co-Op PPI

OFFER MADE BUT REFUSED

ONGOING AND STILL ONGOING

NOW WITH THE OMBUDSMAN

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I liked this bit:

The city council is applying for three staff to be given certificates as part of an experiment to see whether they can do a better and more efficient job than private companies.

You could train three ring-tailed lemurs to do a better job than the private companies! :)

Interesting conundrum, PF.

Best wishes

Rae

I liked this bit:

You could train three ring-tailed lemurs to do a better job than the private companies! :)

Interesting conundrum, PF.

Best wishes

Rae

you said it Rae:grin: