How effective are telephone harrasment letters?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How effective are telephone harrasment letters? I am considering sending some to the myriad debt collectors that bombard my phone all day and night long. dcamaggots, one of the main YouTube video advice posters on the debt collection agancies doesn't seem to rate thier effectiveness as he doesn't even mention them. I understand that the law that protects people from these phonejackers is never inforced. I would be very interested to hear any expert advice on thier effectiveness (if any), or anyone's experience with sending these out generally.

Hello and Welcome,

In my opinion most of the time they get ignored, always worth a punt though.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks. I will send letters containing blank paper, with the message "Important documents inside", having not affixed any postage so thay will have to pay money for nothing. I need to strike out at these cockroaches!

Hi,

I'll move this thread to a more appropriate Forum.

whilst they may not get good results my view is that there replies make good evidence should any court action follow

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

What about actually answering the phone for an "admin" charge?, aka

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/267256-how-can-i-use.html

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

Nice idea, but I think charging for phone call admin would be a bit more difficult. You'd certainly need to record the calls.

I think written correspondence stands far more of a chance as the charges would be made up of:

Opening, reading and interpreting a letter

Forming a reasonable and coherent response, often with legal advice

Paying to print the letter + copies

Paying for stationery, including envelope

Cost of postage including recorded delivery

Time used for all the above

PLUS

Damages for upset caused by further harassment

The benefits are as evidence, also if you need to lodge a complaint with

Trading Standards.

whilst they may not get good results my view is that there replies make good evidence should any court action follow

I've sent the harrasment letter to a few, I still get the odd phone call everyday but I now just ignore it. They want me they have to write to me. I've also pre-empted them with the dont darken my door step letter as well.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

You could always buy a Truecall :)

Ive found the Telephone harrassement letter excellent. The phone hardly rings anymore.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I use the Telephone Harassment letter with the heading, "Formal Complaint" to the current owner of the debt/account, insisting that they remove my number from their records.

I resorted to this as Halifax would pass on my ex directory number to whichever DCA they passed the account onto, then they would call about 4 times a day, even though they knew it was in dispute. The end result was a letter informing me that they had deleted my number. The next 3 DCA's they passed the account to didn't call me at all. :D

End result for 7 accounts is no DCA phone calls whatsoever.

I just call them now on my mobile with my number witheld and give them some hassle for the fun of it. Every call is recorded just in case they should breach any OFT guidelines. ;)

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

I think if you are with a DCA a firm "P**s off" and let them know you wont speak to them ever will do the job as it seems they are a little bit more manually controlled so theres no point wasting there time ringing you. Creditors on the other hand in my experience did take notice but it took 2 letters and a threat of legal action.

Craigb

I think you are in general correct. However the recent climate reveals that the DCA circuit is getting more desperate and hence more aggressive. We have several accounts with the same OC and solicitors representing us yet despite the legal dispute the OC has continued with the DCA merry-go-round. Each has been seen off so far after the second phone call with a letter paraphrasing our solicitor's advice and notifying them of our "Appointed Representatives" under section 2.8 of the guidelines (recorded delivery of course)

However on one account only we now have a particular DCA who has written in reply fully stating that they will resume their unlawful activities in four weeks if our solicitors do not comply with their demands. Hence we have a full written and signed confession that they are quite prepared to disobey the law. I think it is going to be an interesting few weeks.

regards

oilyrag.

Its funny actually I asked Ulster on the phone to remove my number from the system and she did it, never received a call again, all in writing. Lloyds also I logged in online and put in an old mobile number, again never heard from them again. Both these were overdue and at the stage where they would be calling daily.

I presume by doing that you a reversing your permission to call the other numbers.

Citi only ever ring my mobile and took my advice about using blocked numbers.

Capital 1/Debitarse were absolutely relentless, 3 times a day to landline and mobile. Took 2 letters inc threat of legal action.

Its funny actually I asked Ulster on the phone to remove my number from the system and she did it, never received a call again, all in writing. Lloyds also I logged in online and put in an old mobile number, again never heard from them again. Both these were overdue and at the stage where they would be calling daily.

I presume by doing that you a reversing your permission to call the other numbers.

Citi only ever ring my mobile and took my advice about using blocked numbers.

Capital 1/Debitarse were absolutely relentless, 3 times a day to landline and mobile. Took 2 letters inc threat of legal action.

Only a threat l took them to court and won as they caved in b4 me.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

How THICK are they?

I have a nice rejection function on my mobile who just bump them off, it cost them a call as they have to leave a message. Like Mecers - it gets to 60 or 70 of these rejected calls - do they NOT GET IT THAT these calls are ignored and it is costing them money?

These rejected calls do not bother me (if that is what they try to achieve) but I just wonder sometimes are they really that thick?

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

How THICK are they?

I have a nice rejection function on my mobile who just bump them off, it cost them a call as they have to leave a message. Like Mecers - it gets to 60 or 70 of these rejected calls - do they NOT GET IT THAT these calls are ignored and it is costing them money?

These rejected calls do not bother me (if that is what they try to achieve) but I just wonder sometimes are they really that thick?

Does this require a answer?