Whistleblower Worries

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I work in a training industry that is regulated by a government agency. My managers prime concern is hitting targets for which he is paid a bonus. This means that corners are being cut and customers are not receiving proper training. This ultimately can mean their safety is being compromised.

Mostly it it bad practice but more lately serious breeches of legislation have taken place. The employees are responsible as individuals as we are licensed and run the risk of losing our licenses and of course our jobs, as well as the ability to be employed anywhere else.

This has been raised with my manager more than once but he seems unwilling to do anything about it. If you don't like it you can leave, is his attitude.

My concerns are that if I reported him I would be in a position where I would be unable to work with him. Marked out as a troublemaker it would be hard to get another position elsewhere. And jobs in my field are very hard to come by.

To complicate things my managers boss, who owns the company, historically has always sided with him. Our department is only part of a larger more profitable organisation and it is quite possible that to avoid a headache he would simply close us down. Then we all lose our jobs thanks to my actions.

Sorry if the details seem a bit vague but it is a small industry and I don't want to identify myself of anyone else.

I know that reporting the situation is the right thing to do but it really is worrying me and leading to stress. Just looking for some advice really.

Thanks

Hi there and welcom to CAG. I understand your position and I'm sure the others will; we see this regularly on the forum. In my view, you and your colleagues have the right attitude.

I think you would come under the Whistleblowing regulations and should have protection through that.

While you're waiting for the others to come along, have you read the HSE [Health and Safety Executive] website? They are the people you would report safety breaches to, and you can ring them for confidential advice [probably not on a Saturday, though].

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Here's the HSE page on whistleblowing for you. I think it covers the sort of thing you're asking. Hope it helps, but post any other questions you have and we'll do our best.

Whistleblowing

Employers have a responsibility for the health and safety of their employees. If, after an employee has approached their line manager, or safety representative or trade union representative, about a risk to their health or the health of others (including members of the public) and is not satisified that it has been adequately dealt with, the law provides them with protection if they 'blow the whistle' on their employer.

Whistleblowing legislation

The Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998 protects workers who 'blow the whistle' about wrongdoing. It applies where a worker has a reasonable belief that their disclosure tends to show one or more of the following offences or breaches:

• a criminal offence;
  • the breach of a legal obligation;
  • a miscarriage of justice;
  • a danger to the health and safety of any individual;
  • damage to the environment; or
  • deliberate covering up of information tending to show any of the above.

HSE strongly supports measures which protect whistleblowers from any form of victimisation. HSE has a complaints handling system to ensure that concerns about health and safety are dealt with effectively and efficiently. HSE and local authority staff do all that they can to preserve the confidentiality of workers who raise concerns about health and safety, whenever this is requested.

Further help and advice

Public Concern at Work, founded in 1993, is the leading authority on public interest whistleblowing. Its charitable objectives are to promote compliance with the law and good practice in organisations across all sectors. In practical terms, it focuses on the responsibility of workers to raise concerns about malpractice, and the responsibility of those in charge to investigate and remedy such issues. It does this by:

• providing free advice and assistance to individuals who are concerned about apparent danger or malpractice in the workplace;
  • offering professional advice, training and consultancy services for employers and organisations;
  • influencing public policy through research and campaigning activities.

Public Concern at Work external.gif[1] can be contacted on 020 7404 6609 or email [email protected]

HB

Edited by honeybee13
forgot link.

Illegitimi non carborundum