MBNA/Restons - CC hearing Mon 19 July - is it too late to do anything?

ernieB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly I do know how ridiculously late in the day it is to be thinking about a defence. Aside from ill health, work, death in the family, terminal sloth has also been a contributing factor. If anyone is able to give any help or any suggestions at all it would be much appreciated.

Brief timeline:-

June 09 - DMP with PayPlan started including Virgin/MBNA card. No payments missed to date on DMP. MBNA suspend interest and charges before handing over to Restons.

Feb 10 - First letter from Restons. Various correspondence but the amount I can afford to pay is not acceptable to them.

March 10 - Legal proceedings commenced

7 April 10 - My defence lodged with Northampton CC

13 May 10 - No response and Northampton confirm claim stayed

This is where I took my eye off the ball

Received N152 but did not respond

11 June 10 - N24 Notice of Hearing issued - again did not respond

Mon 19 July 10 - CC hearing due causing major panic attack on Fri 16 July.

I know the couldas and shouldas and I know that it is absurdly late in the day but if anyone could give me any advice at all I would be so grateful. I have no idea if any defence is even possible.

Thanks in nervous anticipation.

ErnieB

Just be extremely polite and make a verbal statement about your circumstances. Try to write down something or type up a sheet to read to the account if you are allowed. Along the lines.

May I sir/madam make a brief statement about the matter at hand.

Explain timeline history of this, per your post and of the personal matters that affected you. Apologise to the court about not responding to the n152 and notice of hearing and ask for the help of the court to reach an amicable settlement. At all times make it clear that you have at no time avoided to negotiate making repayments at an affordable level.

I suspect the court will then arrange to assess your financial cirumstances, with a view to trying to come to an agreement on how to settle this debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for that Uncle, I haven't been able to access this thread any earlier today.

I have put together details of payments made to the DMP and the other creditors. I am concerned that this CCJ will mess up the DMP and the other creditors will follow Restons' lead.

Restons have actually agreed to the terms of the DMP but I assume this has no legal standing in the County Court.

If you had been making regular payment into a DMP to be received by Restons, the court would obviously then be interested as to why they are involving the court.

This is why you need to make it clear, you have never avoided payment and have always sought to resolve, without taking up a courts time.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I have a letter from MBNA agreeing to the terms of the DMP. Restons also accepted the DMP with PayPlan. I have my payments record showing no missed payments since the DMP was started. I just don't know how much weight this will carry in court.

MBNA are not my biggest creditor, Lloyds TSB win that particular prize. I will tell the court that this is one of my main concerns, the knock-on effect a CCJ will have.

I have to say that I'm not too hopeful about the outcome. I expect that after a sleepless night fretting over the whole thing there will be 20 minutes of polite to and fro in court and then a rubber stamp for the CCJ.

This will hold a lot of weight with the court. They will see that you have been making payments and will ask Restons why they are using the court.

The judge will ask why you had not brought this to their attention before, hence this is why I suggest you need to make a statement to explain the full circumstances.

If you see the person from Restons at the court before the hearing, give them a copy of the statement which you will make to the court if allowed to do so and copies of letters showing payments to the DMP.

The judge will ask why you had not brought this to their attention before, hence this is why I suggest you need to make a statement to explain the full circumstances.

In your statement, you could say that part of your reason for not bringing this to the Courts attention previously is that you assumed Restons would have been honest and open about this and brought it to the attention of the Court themselves.....

Thanks to all for your contributions. Only just finished work and am putting the finishing touches to my statement.

Will post on the outcome tomorrow.

Back from day in court. Judgement for MBNA/Restons. No major surprise there.

Saw the barrister before for 10 min chat. To be fair she was about as helpful as the opposition barrister is going to be. She said if judgement went in their favour they were prepared to accept the monthly amount my DMP is paying them already. So why are they bringing this case then? Because they can.

I showed her the statement I had prepared and when we got in she told the judge about the statement herself. The judge read it through and then pretty much disregarded it. I explained that I couldn't see the point of bringing the case. He said that I didn't have to understand why. The law says they can bring the case regardless of the payment record because of the amounts I was paying, so they did.

I pointed out the absurdity of Restons being happy now to accept the amount I have been paying for 12 months and leaving me saddled with a £1200 legal bill. He did at least throw this out and charged me the fixed fee instead.

He also said that if I continue to pay the monthly sum 'these people won't bother you any more.' Yeah right. I am starting my homework on Charging Orders tonight because it was pretty obvious this is what they were ultimately angling for. Although the judge intimated that there would be no rubber stamp for a Charging Order.

Thanks to those who offered messages of support, all much appreciated. None of my friends and family know this is going on so knowing that folk are actually on your side was a great help. Thanks a lot.

ernie

I suppose this is a win of sorts. Although you have incurred extra court fees and a CCJ, Restons would have the Barrister to pay.

What you now have to do, is maintain payments, otherwise they can return to court to seek other ways to obtain payment e.g. charging order. Also be aware that they can at reasonable intervals i.e every 12 months, ask for the payment amount to be reviewed.

Sorry it didn't go your way.

As advised earlier, get the first monthly payment off ASAP; and then set up a Standing Order if possible to make sure restons get the regular payment.

If restons do start being antsy, it may be worth paying for the transcript of your hearing when your Judge has intimated that restons should not darken his Courtroom.............or indeed, if restons do stick their heads above the parapet.........write a letter addressed to the Judge reminding him\her of their comments. ;)

Edited by supasnooper
speeling

I didn't know you could pay for the transcript. Thanks for tip. The judge definitely said if I keep up the monthly payments I won't be hearing from them again. Obviously I took this with more than a grain of salt and the barrister said after that this wasn't strictly true.

I'm not sure yet if I pay directly to Restons or if Payplan continue the payments through my DMP.

Get the monthly payment set up yourself...........................and tell Payplan to stop paying restons.

You do NOT want to give Restons any chance to pursue you any further with a Charging Order.

Make sure that you get the first monthly payment off ASAP with a covering letter to Restons including a request to send you their bank details so you can set up a standing order.

Back from day in court. Judgement for MBNA/Restons. No major surprise there.

Saw the barrister before for 10 min chat. To be fair she was about as helpful as the opposition barrister is going to be. She said if judgement went in their favour they were prepared to accept the monthly amount my DMP is paying them already. So why are they bringing this case then? Because they can.

I showed her the statement I had prepared and when we got in she told the judge about the statement herself. The judge read it through and then pretty much disregarded it. I explained that I couldn't see the point of bringing the case. He said that I didn't have to understand why. The law says they can bring the case regardless of the payment record because of the amounts I was paying, so they did.

I pointed out the absurdity of Restons being happy now to accept the amount I have been paying for 12 months and leaving me saddled with a £1200 legal bill. He did at least throw this out and charged me the fixed fee instead.

He also said that if I continue to pay the monthly sum 'these people won't bother you any more.' Yeah right. I am starting my homework on Charging Orders tonight because it was pretty obvious this is what they were ultimately angling for. Although the judge intimated that there would be no rubber stamp for a Charging Order.

Thanks to those who offered messages of support, all much appreciated. None of my friends and family know this is going on so knowing that folk are actually on your side was a great help. Thanks a lot.

Hi Ernie,

Sorry it didn't go your way, but to be honest I'm not surprised....this is Restons after all:mad:.

I too was making a payment through CCCS...no problems at all, interest frozen, then they decided to go for a CCJ as we are a home owner. Judge wasn't interested in anything I had to say and my payment to MBNA went from £40 to £200!!!! so my other creditors get alot less now.

Only advice I can give is to ensure you make your CCJ payment early. I always send via recorded delivery and ask for a receipt.

My only consolation Julia is that the payments to Restons will stay the same.

It's a struggle to find the money for the DMP every month and I had to sit and listen to the judge and barrister with their six figure incomes saying the law is the law. They are not on the same planet.

Maybe anyone who earns over a certain amount should be barred from hearing such cases. At least then you may get someone with some understanding of what financial difficulties are.