Buchanon Clark and Wells. Charges!**Resolved** well almost.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Buchanon Clark and Wells have contacted me regarding an outstanding gas bill from a previous address. They have very helpfully decided that it would be reasonable to charge me an extra 35% of the orirginal bill in costs. Is there anything I can do about that? The dates that they have quoted for my total gas usage include an entire month after I moved out.

Hi,

I'll move this thread to a more appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Buchanon Clark and Wells have contacted me regarding an outstanding gas bill from a previous address. They have very helpfully decided that it would be reasonable to charge me an extra 35% of the orirginal bill in costs. Is there anything I can do about that? The dates that they have quoted for my total gas usage include an entire month after I moved out.

When you moved out, you should have given the gas supplier your final meter reading and address to contact you regarding your final statement. As it appears you may not have done this, you need to contact the gas supplier concerned and try to resolve this. Hopefully the new owner or someone has informed them of the meter reading at the time of the change of home occupier, so they can work out a revised bill. Then you need to come to arrangement to pay the relevant amount. I doubt BCW own the debt, they are just chasing on behalf of the gas supplier.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

How do I go about tackling them on this? Is there a specific letter to send or do you have any advice as to what to send to them? They say it is 35% to cover their clients costs.

more like there own costs

to begin with you need to find out if yoiur landlord informed the utilities companies after you moved out or did you

send bcw a recorded letter asking if they own the debt and to send you a notice of assignment

i would contact the utility company also by phone and ask them what amount they are claming and then update your thread

I have contacted Scottish Power today, they say that they still own the debt and that BCW are acting on their behalf. I mentioned the over inflated admin charges and was told to give them a ring about it!. This was supposed to be their social responsibility department, I received no help at all.

I have contacted Scottish Power today, they say that they still own the debt and that BCW are acting on their behalf. I mentioned the over inflated admin charges and was told to give them a ring about it!. This was supposed to be their social responsibility department, I received no help at all.

I don't know where this bit about DCA's not being able to add charges is coming from. From what I have read, they can add charges, but these must not be excessive. Consumer Direct should be able to advise you on this.

To resolve this, you must get hold of an accurate bill from Scottish power based on the gas usage you are responsible for. Concentrate on getting that sorted first of all and then you can argue about any charges.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I am sending further information and new tenancy agreement to Scottish Power to get the bill amended, they are currently charging for five weeks after I had left. Scottish Power are aware that I am disputing the amount which they are claiming, is there a letter that I can send to the DCA to inform them that the amount is in dispute and to not chase until the bill is corrected?

I am sending further information and new tenancy agreement to Scottish Power to get the bill amended, they are currently charging for five weeks after I had left. Scottish Power are aware that I am disputing the amount which they are claiming, is there a letter that I can send to the DCA to inform them that the amount is in dispute and to not chase until the bill is corrected?

Just send the DCA a simple letter. e.g Please note this account is currently in dispute with Scottish Power. The amount they allege I owe is incorrect as it includes gas usage when I was no longer legally responsible for any usage in the property, being that I had ended the tenancy. May I request that you put this matter on hold, until you have received revised instructions from Scottish Power. Please note that it is against OFT guidelines to continue collection activity whilst the account is in dispute.

I don't know where this bit about DCAlink3.gif's not being able to add charges is coming from. From what I have read, they can add charges, but these must not be excessive. Consumer Direct should be able to advise you on this.

they dca can omly add charges if the original agreement allows it in the t&c

your account is with the utility company, not the dca

i would deal direct with the utility company and tell gthe dca to sod off as they have no legal powers at all

I rang the utility help line and they put me through to Scottish Powers social responsibility department. The lady who I spoke to said that because there was a marker on my account she could not help and I would have to deal with the debt collectors. I explained to her that I was in fuel poverty already with my existing fuel payments and do not have the money to pay the old bills and certainly could not afford 35% charges and she said that if I speak to BCW they may reduce the charges "a wee bit"!. She was not prepared to help me any further and told me to go to CAB.

Report her as she is not properly trained - and another hint when dealing with fuel companies is to ring in the week rather than evenings and weekends, you will get a better trained person more able to help.

CAB should be able to help as you already are in fuel poverty.

Write a letter to the customer complaints department at the fuel supplier, copying in Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading, that might get some action going.

Have now resolved this matter with Colin at Scottish Power. The debt is no longer with dca, therefore no more 35% admin. There has been an adjustment made for the period charged that I was no longer resident. Sadly Scottish Power had defaulted me, but apparently Colin will try his best to get this removed. Paying remainder over 18 months. Thanks for help.

That's good to hear, pavidus.

Hopefully they will remove the default, they should.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert