CCCS........helpful or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Cartaphilus

I will merely speak the truth. Providing you have enough disposable income a month to get onto a DMP then they are as helpful in that they can (up to a point) negotiate payments with creditors, but of course they cannot get individually involved in things like CCAs for example. I found them very helpful when I first went to them, if nothing else it a lot of worry off my mind being told about the letters, what they really meant and what a DCA can/cannot do. Which helped me at the time immensely, being at the start of it all. I can tell you at the time, it literally lift that weight from my shoulders, and I felt far more relaxed after that point.

I went to them because I found them on the back of a credit card statement. However, if you are on a very low income -or even on benefits - then the help becomes diminished somewhat or as I found and I know others have found as well. I was very surprised when told I couldn't receive any more help eg counselling sessions because I wasn't on a DMP so I was left to my own devices, with the template letters and financial statements they compiled for me which I sent off to every single creditor in the first few months, I needed to take action and not sit still so I went to them initially to do that. It really did make me feel very let down, because I thought as a charity they would help you regardless what your situation was. I felt very let down because of being told I wasn't able to go on a DMP (I was told I needed at least £100 per month but this is going back a while now) and then that was that. Each time I got a letter which upset me, becasue I wasn't fully aware of things at that point, I phoned them and it was Hobson's Choice I found, some were very helpful, very empathetic to your situation, I was in tears several times on the phone because of feeling so much despair.

But when I gave my reference number one day I was told over the phone by someone that my case had now lapsed. I was then told that it lapses after 6 months if no contat from you. Thing is, this was only a month or so after initially approaching them. It turned out it was a 'database error' but they were adament even though I said I couldn't have been struck off because I'd only just gone to them in the few weeks leading up to them. It then turned out the number I had belonged to someone previously and they were reading his records not mine on their system.

But because I knew they were a debt charity I was quite surprised when all help, if not able to get on a DMP, dried up beyond what they'd done for me. Being a charity I felt they should be helping everyone not just those with an income. It seemed to defeat the purpose of 'charity' itself. What about everyone else who couldn't afford a DMP? What happens to those, left to fend against creditors very often on their own unless they know about places like this forum.

At that point I started doing my own things, writing off, putting certain things in place, CCAing every creditor, all the stuff advised to on here.

I am just speaking honestly, not in anyway being criticial as I am sure they do help a lot of people if you are on a DMP with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been with CCCS since 2005. They are generally helpful but lack consistency with their advice and support. one problem is they are compromised by the credit industry, so are they really independent.

They told me recently as it was unlikely to pay my debts off by 65 I should consider bankruptcy but they did not mention this back in 2005 when my situation was much worse than it is today.

I signed up with Claim Management UK last year. I have heard nothing from them since as they seem to do nothing but contract the work out.

One of the companies they contract work ou to is Innovative Finance want to take on board my DMP and deal with companies direct with regards missold credit and PPI.

Anyone know what they are like please?