• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Does anyone else get excited when a DCA calls?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Seriously,

I haven't received a call from any DCA for around for a few months and I genuinely miss there calls!

I used to get several a day, all there calls got recorded, I could easily wind them up over their lack of legal knowledge, I could worry them by playing recorded parts of the phone conversation (when they said something illegal etc.) down the phone and telling I was putting it on youtube. I just got a real buzz out of it all.

At the start of the call they would often try and intimidate me with legal sounding words and you could here them stutter as I suddenly corrected them on the name of the act they just quoted or whatever. I loved it when they realise they're talking to someone who knows more than them, just good fun to be had with them.

Got fed up with one of the offenders phoning though so wound the vile cow up, rang back informing them calls where to be placed on youtube, they told me I would receive no further calls and accepted my generous offer of £1 per month :D

Am I the only one lol!?

Sounds like you had fun ar. From my point of view though, I'm just glad the calls and the harassment have stopped thanks to members here.

I'm not that well and the continual bullying was making me worse.

I must admit though that watching Fuzzybobble's YouTube videos really did make me laugh out loud.

Always nice to hear that people are having success facing down these bullies though.

Well done :D

Now that I have True Call, I actually don't get them, and you know, I do miss them - well on a good day, but I still remember the awful feeling of not wanting to answer the phone, from years ago, until, as you say, CAG empowered us.:)

I also have Truecall & i don't miss phone monkeys wasting my time at all, i was never into winding them up but to each there own.

The one thing that baffles me is they were always on the brink of sending someone round or taking me to court for debts that had never been legally proven.

I`m still waiting for a visit from one of there reps & not one of them has taken me to court.......... funny that:grin:, i`m enjoying the peace & quiet.

The only time I got a doorstep visit from a DCA was a couple of years ago. My poor old Mum answered the door and was shown the collection agent's "I.D." Of course, she called me and when I appeared, the chap took one look and said, "Sorry, I think I've been given the wrong address."

Response:

"Yeah, I think you have mate, now Foxtrot Oscar."

That was when the phone calls started instead and thanks to CAG I've finally got them sorted too.

Cheers all.

Yes, I love it when a DCA calls, except they dont bother me much anymore. The only one who does is Regal and I love them..... They always ALWAYS end the conversation with 'We'll send someone to your address then' and then hang up.

As a debt collector Regal are quite possibly the biggest bunch of pr*cks I have ever spoken to on the phone. I have never heard so much sh*t come out of one morons mouth (and ive spoke to Cabot) before. The truth about Regal is if you put up even the slightest bit of resistance to them they crumble and rant about a doorstep collector (yer right you said that last year) then slam the phone down because they dont have the balls to deal with someone who might know his rights.

Its a dog eat dog world and Ive got bigger teeth!

Regal your PATHETIC.

When I sent Barclaycard a SAR Request they sent me a copy of an application for one account and told me they had no application for the other account.

I sent a CCA Request they sent the usual terms and conditions for one account, nothing for the other.

They returned the £1 cheque. ( I should of sent a £2 cheque)

I sent a further CCA Request they sent the usual terms and conditions for both accounts.

They cashed the £2 cheque.

Now Truecall takes care of Mercers and co.

I'm not content with them hanging up on me now. I like them to lose their temper with me first.

:-x

:lol:

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

Guest Mrs Hobbit

I miss the phone calls. It was fun trying to get them to answer my security questions and proving they were who they claimed to be. I miss them starting to threaten me and then after I informed that the call was being recorded the nasty names they called me as they lost their temper and slammed the phone down.

I misss Miss/Mr India phoning me and me making out I couldn't understand a word she/he was saying as I didn't speak English, I spoke Gibberish only (spoken in broken Italian) and could they provide a translator before the conversation could go any further...

The other game, you wanna book a table for tonight, where you wanna sit near window of door, waht time you wanna come.........

You know the person you are trying to phone, we need help to identify the resident of this house.....phone normally hung up quickly on that one.

The other one pretending that call was going live to air........

I just had a phone call from MIL.......oohhhh the joy I always sak them to hang on a minute so I can get the forums up on PC then I let the fun begin, anyway MIL are chasing a Sky Debt, I cancelled Sky before installation but they are chasing me for installation and 3 months subscription, anyway I have 10 minutes of fun quoting law after law to numpty on the end of line asking that if the case was watertight as he claims to take me to court,his response was wait for this a classic line " Your name will appear in the local press along with what you have been prosecuted for" errrrrr prosecuted for I asked I havent broke the criminal law.....his response was ohhhhh B**ll*cks to you we are sending some men around.....I said you wont because a letter will be with you in morning removing right of entry....he hung up..also letter went stating i will only deal in writing etc I hope he calls again soon

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Luckily (or not as the case may be) I have only ever had one phone call from a DCA, this one was actually for my daughter (you would think she would learn from mum's mistakes). All my correspondence has been in writing oh and one very cathartic email...must find a copy of that and post it up for your amusement...ah here it is

Dear Sir/Madam/Threat monkey!.

I have recieved a letter from yourselves, you say that due to "times of economic hardshiplink3.gif", out of the goodness of your heart you are "currently in a position to allow generous discounts" to your customers.

There are many reasons why the offer does not apply to me, here are a few of them:

1. I am not your customer.

2. I do not have an account with you.

3. You have provided no proof that there is an alledged debt.

4. You have not provided any evidence that I am the alleged debtor.

5. A Statutory Demand was set asidelink3.gif at Bradford county courtlink3.gif regarding this alleged debt in September of last year. I was also awarded costs as the Judge rightly saw the actions of yourselves and those of Connaught Collections as the missuse of the court system to aid debt recovery.

6. The alleged debt you refer to in your letter is unenforceable as it is in dispute, I sent a request for a CCA, with the payment required but have not recieved any acknowledgement of the request, despite being signed for on recorded delivery or an answer.

7. The Subject access requestlink3.gif from Lloyds TSB confirmed that the debt is in fact statute barredlink3.gif

8. You have provided no proof that the debt was acknowledged, let alone within in six years since the alledged debt was incurred.

9. Under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

10. The OFT debt collectionlink3.gif Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

I have listed just ten reasons why your generous discounts are not relevant to me, I have many many more but neither the time nor the desire to correspond with you further on this subject or any other.

If you have had any problems understanding any of the points I have made or any of the legal references I have included, I suggest you put down your crayons and ask your Mommy what it all means.

Should i recieve any further correspondence from yourselves or your partners in crime Connaught Collections, I will take you to court for harassment and the issue of unsolicited mail.

Yours sincerely

Monx

Yes, yes I know the spelling is not the best but I think they got the gyst! lol.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

Thanks Babybear, didnt get anything other than an automated reciept but it felt damn good writing and sending it!:D

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

I always address my complaint letters to "Whoever owns the company brain cell." ;)

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

Ah! memories of MBNA's Indian call centre with their made-up English names - happy days.

I remember calling AOL's "customer service" helpline thing. Of course it was totally useless, as the guy on the other end in India kept telling me I need to call my computers manufaturer and get the IP address for it. :rolleyes: The Indian guy I could hardly understand's name was Brian.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

I'm not content with them hanging up on me now. I like them to lose their temper with me first.

:-x

:lol:

I'll have to send you a Christmas card this year Fuzz, that way you'll have yet another payment method. :wink::D

I wish they'd call me so I am forced to buy a truecall - but they don't have my numbers... alas. I used to have such fun with them.

Yep C1s indian call centre when i kept saying do u speak English

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

We are getting 4 or 5 calls a day from Cabot at the moment.

They want to speak to my OH, and despite him answering the security questions once then telling them to put it in writing they never have.

I have a range of methods to deal with them now. I either ignore the phone and let it ring so we get the usual answer phone message from Miss Jones, or I answer it and ask if they have not employed anybody capable of printing off and sending out a letter yet, or, if I am listening to music, I tell them i will get the OH and put the phone next to the loud speaker. Or if they are very lucky and catch me in a bad mood, I yell at them.

I was once told I had no right to speak to them the way I did. They didn't ring for about a week after I replied that it was my telephone line, my telephone, and seeing as I didn't swear at them, they had no cause for complaint as they know my OH will not speak to them until they have learned how to put things in writing.

I was even told once that for them to put it in writing, we had to first put in a written request for it. Flaming numbskulls!

• Haha 1

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

I dont get chance to do it anymore because thay stopped phoning shortly after I phoned Aktiv Capital at 8.55PM knowing full well that thay closed at 9.00PM.

I talked about how the account they were trying to collect on was not enforceable, with them trying desperately to get me to make a payment I finally said that I had deliberately phoned at the time I did, to make them stay late.

Threat monkey was not best pleased, he said "YOU DID THIS ON PURPOSE" I said yes just to get them back for their constant harrassing calls.

A few days later I got a letter saying they were investigating my complaint?? and that I would here back with a final response. I never did here back and they have never phoned me again - so yes I do really miss you Aktiv Kapital you are just so easy to wind up!!

Beau

• Haha 1

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)