Being pestered to work after accident

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3722 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A friend of mine was in a motorbike accident on monday this week, basically rear ended and was thrown off the bike. Was taken to hospital with high blood pressure, no broken bones, but after about 24hrs the shock wore off and the muscular pain kicked in.

He is not able to move without pain, getting up and down stairs is a nightmare, and isn't able to sit at a computer without major pain (hence me typing this up)

His work have been ringing and expecting him to work as they don't believe his injuries would still be effecting him. He is worried that him being injured will have ramifications of his job, and is feeling harassed to go back to work, when he is still not over his injuries. He's worried that he'll lose his job because of the time off he's having to have because he would not be able to do his job without pain.

His job is serving customers, taking phone calls, sitting in the same place on a chair for 9 hours. Doesn't sound too extensive, but because of muscle pains, he feels he would not be able to do this.

I've advised him that if things are that bad, to get to see his gp and to have him signed off. Is this right, and would it stop the harassing expectations of work?

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely. If he is having that amount of pain, then a visit to the GP should be a must anyway, and his hospital attendance will already be a matter of record.

Unless there is a policy requiring more than is normally required, your friend should be able to sef-certify for the first week, but the employer should have a fit note after the seventh day of sickness. This will explain whether your friend is considered able to work and how any injury might prevent or restrict any activity relating to work. Is he on company sick pay or SSP?

He shouldn't be punished by the employer for a single instance of sickness or absence through injury, but it may become an issue of capability over time if it becomes an extended absence. Whilst the employer can maintain contact with the employee whist absent, he should not be harassed. It is also a good idea if your friend maintains contact with the employer to keep them up to date with his condition and there may also be an opportunity to perhaps discuss a phased return to work (lighter duties, shorter working hours etc), but only once he is fit and safe to do so. Problems generally advise when the employer is left guessing what the situation is.

If he is feeling genuinely harassed, then he can raise a grievance about he nature and frequency of calls he is getting and the pressure that he is being put under to return to work whilst still not physically able to carry out his normal (or any) role.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but would it help if your friend were to return part-time to start with, once he feels up to the journey and sitting still for a few hours?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

having recently been in this position, I know how your friend is feeling. Shock caused adrenaline to be produced and this is used as a natural pail killer. Now it's worn off your friend is feeling every bump and bruise. It took me six weeks of physio to be able to sit at my office desk for periods longer than 30 minutes without feeling pain. Your friend needs professional advise. Does your friend have legal cover with his insurance?

Frederickson - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Lost - Claiming back from post office

Connaught Collections - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Lowell - CCA sent 11/4/07 - No agreement - returned to client

Moorcroft - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - No Agreement - returned to client

Red Castle - CCA Sent 11/4/07 - Copy returned but no T&C's

Robinson Way - CCA Sent 16/5/07

A friend of mine was in a motorbike accident on monday this week, basically rear ended and was thrown off the bike. Was taken to hospital with high blood pressure, no broken bones, but after about 24hrs the shock wore off and the muscular pain kicked in.

He is not able to move without pain, getting up and down stairs is a nightmare, and isn't able to sit at a computer without major pain (hence me typing this up)

His work have been ringing and expecting him to work as they don't believe his injuries would still be effecting him. He is worried that him being injured will have ramifications of his job, and is feeling harassed to go back to work, when he is still not over his injuries. He's worried that he'll lose his job because of the time off he's having to have because he would not be able to do his job without pain.

His job is serving customers, taking phone calls, sitting in the same place on a chair for 9 hours. Doesn't sound too extensive, but because of muscle pains, he feels he would not be able to do this.

I've advised him that if things are that bad, to get to see his gp and to have him signed off. Is this right, and would it stop the harassing expectations of work?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The best course of action, in this instance, is for your friend to see his GP who would draft a diagnosis and prognosis which could be handed over to his employer...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Ok my friend has now seen his doctor, and she was appalled that his employer had expecting him to work with the injuries and pain he has. He's been told to ring monday and if he's not coping by then, she'll sign him off.