Next Directory nearly cost me my mortgage

tazgilleye
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently applied for a new mortgage with Nationwide, my existing one is with them. During the process a manual credit check highlighted a default on a Next Directory Account, something which I had no knowledge of. The account may have been opened and used by my ex. I can't prove it though. In order to prevent securing the mortgage I paid it off using my credit card.

I have now challenged Next for information about the account, they have responded stating that because I have stated that this may be fraud they will not give me any information.

I have completed a financial dis-association from my ex, I am concerned however that both Nationwide and Experian did not highlight this default which was from 2003.

1. Can they do this?

2. Can I legally cancel the payment?

3. Should I pursue this further through experian?

Hope someone can help.

:)

This seems to be very unfair that you have ended up paying this. They may "cut up rough" but think you should send them a Subject Access Request enclosing £10. the template is in the Debt Collectors Library. This will give you all the information on the account and who is actually responsible for the alleged debt. Send it recorded delivery, they have 40 calendar days to reply. I am tempted to say send a request for a true signed copy of the agreement as well but maybe although lots of people have varying experiences of the Financial Ombudsman Service, make a formal complaint to them using their website and let them deal with Next, it has the advantage that it will cost Next for the FOS to look at your complaint and also you might be awarded compensation. Have a look at Pinky's inspirational thread for information on the battle to remove this information from your credit file.

Oops, sorry put the link in the wrong place so hope you can understand this.