• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

ESA appeal query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello and thank you for joining the forum.

Most people appeal using the GL24 form that should have come with your decision letter, although you can write your own letter. I would base the letter on the information requested in the form, if you feel it fits.

I have a 'sticky' at the top of the forum about appeals and tribunals, can't remember the new title.

Here's a link.

Appealing or going to a Tribunal? Some useful information

Please post if you have other questions.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Libra, I've just answered your duplicate post on happyhamr's thread. I see you're a newbie and just wanted to say that CAG don't like duplicate threads and you my find yourself edited by the site team. I'm not one of them, just a humble cagger trying to explain.

If you need more information having read my sticky, I suggest you start your own thread on here.

HB

No need to apologise, I got loads wrong when I joined :).

If you want to start your own thread, click on the red triangle at the bottom of your initial post and ask the site team to start one for you. Give them a title if you can think of one, otherwise they'll dream one up for you.

HB

My advice to you, likelylibra2006 is that if you have enough time and you are sure that you should have got at least 15 points from the descriptors, try to get some evidence from your doctor to support your appeal and send it with your appeal letter. Make sure that you are specific about the reason that you disagree with the decision.

If you are not specific, and if you do not include evidence from your GP or hospital consultant (even a supporting letter from them) then in all likelihood the DWP will not revise their decision but send it on to the appeals Tribunal which could drag on for months.

Bear in mind though that there is a time limit of 1 month from the decision letter for you to send in your appeal. If you are running out of time, then send in your letter straight away and get the supporting evidence later.

If my posts have been helpful, please click the star icon and add to my reputation points. Thanks! :-D

My advice to you, likelylibra2006 is that if you have enough time and you are sure that you should have got at least 15 points from the descriptors, try to get some evidence from your doctor to support your appeal and send it with your appeal letter. Make sure that you are specific about the reason that you disagree with the decision.

If you are not specific, and if you do not include evidence from your GP or hospital consultant (even a supporting letter from them) then in all likelihood the DWP will not revise their decision but send it on to the appeals Tribunal which could drag on for months.

Bear in mind though that there is a time limit of 1 month from the decision letter for you to send in your appeal. If you are running out of time, then send in your letter straight away and get the supporting evidence later.

Hi, just a word of warning, in my case and others that I know about, they give you little if no time to submit any further evidence for it to be re-considered before it goes off to the Tribunal.

In my case the date of the decision was 10th Februry 2010, the date I received the notification that I had failed was 24th February 2010. The appeal was lodged on the 10th March 2010, and the reconsideration took place on the 16th March 2010. I was then told that any further evidence that was sent in would be considered by the Tribunal not the DWP!

So it seems that if the evidence isn't enclosed with the appeal, it could be another 9 months before it is sorted out.

Edited by ANDYANDFLO

I'm writing a letter of appeal re my ESA decision.

I've been advised all I need to put in the letter of appeal is that I am appealing against the DWP's decision without listing any specific grounds...is this correct???

You have been misadvised. An Appeal has to be "duly made" otherwise the Tribunals Service do not have to accept it. For a claim to be "duly made" there is certain information that you have to provide. One of these is that you have to give the reason why you disagree with the decision. If you don't give a reason the DWP will write to request grounds be provided within 14 days. If you still don't provide grounds they will then contact the Tribunals Service to advise that the appeal is not duly made as no grounds have been given. The tribunal service will then decide if the appeal can go ahead. In cases where no grounds are provided, the Tribunals Service will not accept the appeal.

Regulation 33 (1) © of the Decision and Appeals regulations 1999 requires that grounds are given in making an appeal.

You can submit evidence later if you can't source it immediately - just advise when you appeal that you will be forwarding further supporting evidence.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

The grounds I have given in my appeal letter are that I believe I should have scored 15 points or more at the WCA "medical" and that information supplied at the "medical" were overlooked...is this adequate? Also I have been advised its a right of appeal to the tribunal which the DWP cannot refuse?

Also I have not asked the DWP to overturn their decision (apparently a waste of time!!) but requested to go straight to the tribunal...your thoughts please?

Sounds a fair start.

It's often expedient to go straight to a tribunal request. This is because, as part of that process, a DWP decision maker will re-examine the case anyway.

Best wishes

Rae

Provided you've been specific about what you feel was erroneous I can see no problem.

If the DWP 'refuse to forward' your appeal then that is very good news indeed! The only reason they will not forward your appeal to the tribunal service is if they read your submision, re-examine the case and completely agree with you. :)

Best wishes

Rae

Roughly speaking it's about 6 - 9 months. So, plenty of time to gather any extra supporting evidence to send off to the tribunal service...

Best wishes

Rae

NB: Don't forget that, whilst you will get the assessment rate of ESA throughout this process, you do need to continue sending in your [un]fit notes!

The grounds I have given in my appeal letter are that I believe I should have scored 15 points or more at the WCA "medical" and that information supplied at the "medical" were overlooked...is this adequate? Also I have been advised its a right of appeal to the tribunal which the DWP cannot refuse?

Also I have not asked the DWP to overturn their decision (apparently a waste of time!!) but requested to go straight to the tribunal...your thoughts please?

Those grounds are sufficient in your GL24 or appeal letter, yes. The DWP cannot refuse your appeal - but the Tribunals Service can. This is why the DWP would write to you first to obtain grounds if you hadn't supplied them. Then, if you still didn't provide grounds they have to inform the Tribunals Service who will decide whether to admit or refuse the appeal.

The DWP have to reconsider the case and have to overturn the decision if there is enough evidence that the original decision was wrong. If the decision is not overturned or is overturned but not in your favour, the appeal will continue. If the DWP do revise the decision, the appeal will lapse and that is the end of the appeals process - though there are fresh rights of appeal against a new decision. Reconsideration is an integral part of the appeals process and the Tribunals Service will not accept an appeal from the DWP where no reconsideration has taken place.

The DWP must check that the appeal is duly made, and if not so, contact the claimant or rep to provide information to make the appeal duly made, then if appropriate offer an explanation, then reconsider the decision then prepare a submission and then send it all to the Tribunal Service. That is a basic explanation of the process but there is more to it than that. If any part of the process is incomplete, the Tribunal Service cannot continue the appeal until it is done.

The DWP will send a copy of the submission to you as well if the appeal continues (i.e if they don't revise in your favour). Once you have this, you know that the case has gone to the Tribunal Service. Read through the submission with a fine tooth comb, and address any points in the decision which are contradictory to the facts or to the law, and you then make your own submission to the Tribunal Service along with any further evidence. The Tribunal will send you an enquiry form to complete shortly after they receive the submission.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)