• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

we defaulted on our council tax which lead to them passing the debt to Rossendales their bailiffs. They visited us and i set up an agreement to pay them. I paid all but the last instalment as i was taken very ill, admitted to hospital and bills were the last thing on my mind (i nearly died).

After that my husband was signed off work and put on statutory sick pay due to depression. whilst i was at the doctors last week, he got a knock on the door and 2 bailiffs and van were there saying as i had defaulted on the agreement they were going to take our stuff unless we paid up £503 (the last instalment was £240 and this was plus their charges).

My husband panicked and called my mum who although has money problems of her own, managed to get the money together to pay them off.

My question is that as hes sick and signed off work and as i have been so ill (and am still recovering) should they have been allowed to do this? A friend said that they should not have been but i wondered if anyone with more knowledge could advise.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

Hi,

we defaulted on our council tax which lead to them passing the debt to Rossendales their bailiffs. They visited us and i set up an agreement to pay them. I paid all but the last instalment as i was taken very ill, admitted to hospital and bills were the last thing on my mind (i nearly died).

After that my husband was signed off work and put on statutory sick pay due to depression. whilst i was at the doctors last week, he got a knock on the door and 2 bailiffs and van were there saying as i had defaulted on the agreement they were going to take our stuff unless we paid up £503 (the last instalment was £240 and this was plus their charges).

My husband panicked and called my mum who although has money problems of her own, managed to get the money together to pay them off.

My question is that as hes sick and signed off work and as i have been so ill (and am still recovering) should they have been allowed to do this? A friend said that they should not have been but i wondered if anyone with more knowledge could advise.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Sadly, once again a bailiff has received the FULL AMOUNT that he was trying to obtain because he was threatening towards your family. Bailiffs KNOW that this is the way to get payment.

If you cannot make a payment it is really important to ensure that your WRITE to the company to make them aware. At least that way IF a visit is made when it should not have been then at least there is a "paper trail" that you can rely upon when making a FORMAL COMPLAINT.

The bailiff has charged you an extra £260. Did the bailiff PREVIOUSLY levy against goods (when you made the agreement to pay) ?

If not, was a "levy" made last week when the bailifs visited?

Edited by tomtubby

Even though the debt is now paid you can still ask lots of questions of the wrongs and rights of what happened - and you have 6 years to claim back any monies you have overpaid.

TT makes a valid point about the pressure that is applied and like you it works in a lot of cases. In theory no they shouldn't have been allowed to do it and if pressurised would probably have backed off.

Now its all paid you can sit back at leisure and find out if what you were charges was excessive and if so with help from here you can claim back any overpayment. To do this you need to go back to the beginning and examine any paperwork you have or were given.

1 - the total you owed on the Liability Order - did you know how much this was or did the Bailiff just give you a figure.

2 - the Bailiff - how many times did he visit, did he levy/seize any goods - if so what, did he leave any paperwork detailing charges. Did you get receipts from him for the monies paid.

This is a start and there is a letter you can send them asking for a Breakdown of their fees if needed.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even though the debt is now paid you can still ask lots of questions of the wrongs and rights of what happened - and you have 6 years to claim back any monies you have overpaid.

TT makes a valid point about the pressure that is applied and like you it works in a lot of cases. In theory no they shouldn't have been allowed to do it and if pressurised would probably have backed off.

Now its all paid you can sit back at leisure and find out if what you were charges was excessive and if so with help from here you can claim back any overpayment. To do this you need to go back to the beginning and examine any paperwork you have or were given.

1 - the total you owed on the Liability Order - did you know how much this was or did the Bailiff just give you a figure.

2 - the Bailiff - how many times did he visit, did he levy/seize any goods - if so what, did he leave any paperwork detailing charges. Did you get receipts from him for the monies paid.

This is a start and there is a letter you can send them asking for a Breakdown of their fees if needed.

PT

Thanks for replying.

I dont know exactly how much was owing and i dont have a copy of the liability order. I only have the paperwork they left after last week. as i said i didnt see them as i was at the surgery at the time but apparently they had a list of times they had phoned my house and got no answer- however i have an answering machine and never had any messages left from them. They did not leave this list.

They did leave a notice of distress and had filled out an inventory which listed my ancient tv, my pc and my falling apart sideboard (my husband was not aware they had done this). It has a walking posssession agreement at the bottom which lists:

client debt and costs outstanding £163.70

second visit fee £28.00

Van attendance £110.00

TOTAL £301.70

We did get a receipt for the money paid and the balance is now at nil. As i said my Mum can not afford this so if i can recoup any money back for her it would be great.

Do i have a leg to stand on? What do you think i should do next?

Thanks again

Sarah

Thanks for replying.

I dont know exactly how much was owing and i dont have a copy of the liability order.

In the morning ring the Council and ask:

1- how much the Liability Order was for

2- how much is still outstanding

I only have the paperwork they left after last week. as i said i didnt see them as i was at the surgery at the time but apparently they had a list of times they had phoned my house

Couldn't give a monkeys how many times they claimed to ring this does not constitute an excuse to charge you - only visits count.

and got no answer- however i have an answering machine and never had any messages left from them. They did not leave this list.

They did leave a notice of distress and had filled out an inventory which listed my ancient tv, my pc and my falling apart sideboard (my husband was not aware they had done this).

How old 's your TV?

How old's the PC?

Sideboard - zero value

It has a walking posssession agreement at the bottom which lists:

client debt and costs outstanding £163.70

second visit fee £28.00

Van attendance £110.00

TOTAL £301.70

doesn't sound right

We did get a receipt for the money paid and the balance is now at nil. As i said my Mum can not afford this so if i can recoup any money back for her it would be great.

Do i have a leg to stand on? What do you think i should do next? See below

Thanks again

Sarah

Send the Bailiffs this, use and adapt as you see fit, send by email and a copy in the post sent Signed For:

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account. Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges including Computer Screenshot.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

When you get a response come back and we'll see what we can try and do.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks so much- will send this letter and let you know what happens x:)

thanks so much- will send this letter and let you know what happens x:)

Sarah,

You have said that the bailiff left a Notice of Distress. Did the bailiff gain entry into your home to do or did he look through the window. You husband should know. Finally, who signed the form?

Sarah,

You have said that the bailiff left a Notice of Distress. Did the bailiff gain entry into your home to do or did he look through the window. You husband should know. Finally, who signed the form?

My husband opened the door thinking it was the postman- he also had our crying baby in his arms and it panicked him. he made him stand on the doorstep until my mother arrived. She then told them to come in as she didnt want the neighbours to see them. I would not have let them in. The notice of distress is signed but the signature is not legible. Thanks TT and PT

Hi sarah13, everything the bailiff did was wrong. I'm sorry your husband was coerced into borrowing money to pay a bailiff.

Do follow the excellent advice you are receiving and then follow up with a strong Formal Complaint to the CEO of the relevant council.

Best wishes

Rae

Have recieved an email reply from Rossendales - here it is:::

Dear Mrs. ,

Thank you for your email.

We are not obligated to provide you a computer screen shot of your account as information that is not relevant to your account would also be displayed.

A statement of your account has been issued to you which is produced directly upon the information contained on your account. This will include the original debt balance, all fees incurred and any payments you made.

Bailiffs visits occurred on the following dates and times:-

15th January 2010 at 11:20

22nd January 2010 at 14:50

8th July 2010 at 10:20

The first two visits were the statutory visits by the first call bailiff, xxx, who attended in attempt to secure a levy on your goods. As he was unable to secure a levy the visits were deemed abortive and the statutory visit charges applied.

Following the second visit we granted you a repayment arrangement which defaulted for a second time due to late payment in April and absence of payment during May. Your account was then issued to the van bailiff, xxx, to enforce the Magistrates Liability Order in the absence of full payment. Ms xxx secured a levy on your goods on 8th July which incurred the charge for doing such along with a charge for her attendance to enforce if payment wasn’t met.

xxx was last certificated at Burnley Combined Court on 13.7.2009 and xxx last certificated at Burnley Combined Court on 2.11.2009.

Certificates are valid for two years from date of issue.

Yours sincerely,

xxx

Customer Correspondence and Welfare Officer

So they state that they are not obligated to provide a computer screen shot of my account- Doesn't sound right? What should i do next? Thanks everyone for advice :)

Edited by sarah13
removed names

Readable now ;)

Dear Mrs. ,

Thank you for your email.

We are not obligated to provide you a computer screen shot of your account as information that is not relevant to your account would also be displayed

A statement of your account has been issued to you which is produced directly upon the information contained on your account. This will include the original debt balance, all fees incurred and any payments you made.

Bailiffs visits occurred on the following dates and times:-

15th January 2010 at 11:20

22nd January 2010 at 14:50

8th July 2010 at 10:20

The first two visits were the statutory visits by the first call bailiff, **** ***, who attended in attempt to secure a levy on your goods. As he was unable to secure a levy the visits were deemed abortive and the statutory visit charges applied.

Following the second visit we granted you a repayment arrangement which defaulted for a second time due to late payment in April and absence of payment during May. Your account was then issued to the van bailiff, *********, to enforce the Magistrates Liability Order in the absence of full payment. Ms ****** secured a levy on your goods on 8th July which incurred the charge for doing such along with a charge for her attendance to enforce if payment wasn’t met.

**** *** was last certificated at Burnley Combined Court on 13.7.2009 and ******* ********* last certificated at Burnley Combined Court on 2.11.2009.

Certificates are valid for two years from date of issue.Yours sincerely,

N****** ******

Customer Correspondence and Welfare Officer

Edited by seanamarts
removal of names

thanks for making it readable

Edited by sarah13
spelling

Have recieved an email reply from Rossendales - here it is:::

So they state that they are not obligated to provide a computer screen shot of my account- Doesn't sound right? What should i do next? Thanks everyone for advice

First off they are obliged to send you a screen shot and any information that is requested with regards to you account.

They have not levied correctly either as they need to levy for the amount you owe, plus their fees plus auction costs.

Can you remove names from your post :)

I would strongly argue the point over the levy they have made as to its validity.

A levy can be made on goods which when sold at auction would:

a - pay the Bailiff costs

b - pay the removal costs

c - pay the auction costs

d - pay the Auctioneers costs

e - pay a proportion off the original debt

In my view the items you have listed - and I mean to cause no offence here - have next to no value if sold at auction and would not even cover the removal costs let alone any of the others. I would therefore put it to the Bailiff and his Company that a levy was made only to get an extra fee for himself and his Company. If it were me then I would be aggrieved by the levy and ask for the charges to be removed.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would strongly argue the point over the levy they have made as to its validity.

A levy can be made on goods which when sold at auction would:

a - pay the Bailiff costs

b - pay the removal costs

c - pay the auction costs

d - pay the Auctioneers costs

e - pay a proportion off the original debt

In my view the items you have listed - and I mean to cause no offence here - No offensive taken- i agree with you have next to no value if sold at auction and would not even cover the removal costs let alone any of the others. I would therefore put it to the Bailiff and his Company that a levy was made only to get an extra fee for himself and his Company. If it were me then I would be aggrieved by the levy and ask for the charges to be removed. i will draft something stating this

PT

Can't say it enough but thanks for all your help

Per Culligan v Simkin and Marston's, they can't charge a van fee for coming to levy can they?

After levying, they have to give you a reasonable chance to pay (which you did), before they can re-attend to remove goods.

They can only charge a van fee for the re-attendance (which didn't happen), not for coming to levy.

It should have been a levy fee of £23.27, not a van fee of £110.

Edit: Adding -- another thing.

The second "visit" fee is not right either, because they're saying that took place on 22 January 2010, so it is already included in the "debt and costs outstanding" item.

So that should go, which would bring the levy fee down fractionally to £22.58 (being 20% of the first £100, plus 4% of the remaining £63.70)

So what you should have paid in all was £186.28 (plus perhaps £3.95 VAT on their fee).

Edited by JH101

So that should go, which would bring the levy fee down fractionally to £22.58 (being 20% of the first £100, plus 4% of the remaining £63.70)

So what you should have paid in all was £186.28 (plus perhaps £3.95 VAT on their fee).

there is no vat on bailiffs fees when collecting council tax

the 20% of the first £100 is now 24.5 %

Okay, so that takes the levy fee up to £27.08, which according to the regs gets rounded up to the next pound, hence their £28.

£28 would have to be a levy fee anyway, because the proper prescribed "second visit" fee is only £18.50

But I think you can still take out the "attendance to remove fee".