Teenager with Diabetes refused DLA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon folks,

I am writing this as a I have just been refused DLA for my son. He is 13years old and has Type 1 diabetes. He was diagnosed two years ago. I have sat here for 30mins deciding if i am in fact an over anxious mother and therefore actually doing and caring too much for my teenage son. This is pretty much what DLA think. He SHOULD have good control of his Diabetes and therfore be able to react and treat a hypo(low sugar levels) with ease. he SHOULD be able to inject his insulin unaided. Thats what DLA think and yes in an ideal world this is what should be happening. The problem starts with the fact that he is a teenager. I have to keep nagging at him. He doesnt have good control at all as he is growing, hormonal and just palin bloody forgetful. He can be fine one minute then sky high and feeling really unwell the next and then come crashing down. Honestly some of the readings he gets are unreal. The emotional support he needs as well. There is a real big thing when teenagers just decide they are no longer diabetic. I have met a couple. they get so fed up with it they stop taking insulin. as a parent I have to ensure that this wont happen by being there emotionally for him and tell him that no this isnt going to go away but you are not on your own.This is just a couple of things I do for him. Is this the level of care an average 13 old has?

So what I would like help with is the next step. I have told them on the phone to look at it again and added a few points over the phone. That has been refused so now they are sending me an appeal form. What is this? can I get other proffesionals to say anything at this point?

HELP!!!

olive xx

First point, DLA is not awarded for a particular medical condition but the way in which the condition affects the individual. The appeal form is your opportunity to state your case in writing and provide any other evidence - for example a letter from the GP, a copy of his blood sugar records etc. Argue with each point you disagree with and explain why.

as a parent of a 15yr old I can apriciate how awkward they can be so you have my simpathy their, as a type 2 diabetic I understand the dangers of this disease but perhaps he dosnt. Ive been having to pop a fist full of pills every night for just over a year and get fed up of that. I can only imagine how frustrating and annoying it must be to stick a needle in yourself every day. I have to keep reminding myself that its better than going blind, loosing a leg or having a stroke. he needs to get his head round the down side to not taking control then perhaps he'll sort is act out. I know a few type 1's near me and non get DLA, I think you have to develope one of the more debilitating side affects before they pay out. I hope you get it though and wil whatch this thread closely so that if you do I can put a few more in the know.

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.

As I said its not the condition but the way it affects you. For example, if your diabetes is not well controlled you may have hypos/hypers. If these happen all of a sudden then you may need someone to intervene and help you. This might, and I emphasise, might lead to an award of DLA. DLA is an individual benefit, despite the very similar decisions that get trotted out. It would be wrong to label all people with diabetics as being similarly affected - I had a friend with diabetes who worked full time at Fords. Another friend has totally uncontrolled diabetes and yes they get DLA.

The problem starts with the fact that he is a teenager. I have to keep nagging at him. He doesnt have good control at all as he is growing, hormonal and just palin bloody forgetful. He can be fine one minute then sky high and feeling really unwell the next and then come crashing down. Honestly some of the readings he gets are unreal. The emotional support he needs as well. There is a real big thing when teenagers just decide they are no longer diabetic. I have met a couple. they get so fed up with it they stop taking insulin. as a parent I have to ensure that this wont happen by being there emotionally for him and tell him that no this isnt going to go away but you are not on your own.This is just a couple of things I do for him. Is this the level of care an average 13 old has?

hi paul it dosnt sound like its the diabetes getting away from him it sounds like hes a typical teenager and if hes been forgetful and not taking his condition seriously then for his own good he needs to get in touch with the reality of the situation. the alturnative dont bare thinking about. its an unfortunate fact that the bigest danger to a diabetic is him/herself.

you could push this on the metal health issues aparently we tend to suffer from depression, say hes incapeable of looking after his self because the condition is depressing him. dont know if it will help. god knows I get depressed everytime I pass the cream buns in tescos.

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.

As I said its not the condition but the way it affects you. For example, if your diabetes is not well controlled you may have hypos/hypers. If these happen all of a sudden then you may need someone to intervene and help you. This might, and I emphasise, might lead to an award of DLA. DLA is an individual benefit, despite the very similar decisions that get trotted out. It would be wrong to label all people with diabetics as being similarly affected - I had a friend with diabetes who worked full time at Fords. Another friend has totally uncontrolled diabetes and yes they get DLA.

This is what I waspretty much getting at, When he hypos at 3am he wakes me up to assist him. More than anything its to ensure he treats himself properly and doesnt fall back to sleep. He has to eat a carbohydrate 20 minutes after hypo to ensure it doesnt happen again.

When his sugar are high he can become extremely drowsy and uncoherent(sorry bad spelling) now usually I would need to calculate extra insulin for him but before that we have to work out why he is so high. For example he has three different typesof insulin each day that all work differently, has he taken them all correctly, has taken them at all. Has he eaten something or has this just happened for no explanation. he levels are all over the place due to his hormones and that he is growing. Aso this weather is a total nightmare as it takes more energy for him to do things if you knowwhat I mean.

I know every diabetic is different, my son has a boy in his year at school they were diagnosed within 6months of each other. This boy has been in hospital three times this year due to being ill because of constant highlevels. Iamblessed that my boy is sensiblefor his age, but he is a teenager and if we are not careful there is every chance he can turn. He does have to understand this is forlife and yes he does have to get on with it. He has high asperations for his future. I have a little saying, you control your diabetes, diabetes doesnt control you.

olive xx