Happyfeet24

Is a DVLA road tax debt a civil debt?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3670 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I may have worded the title wrong, I'm not sure, but what I mean to ask is if a debt to the DVLA for not declaring a car as SORN is considered a civil debt resulting in bailiffs and/or attatchment of earnings ect or if it is considered a criminal debt resulting in prison like council tax debt?

The DVLA has just handed such a case to a debt collection company who are now asking for payment in full in 72 hours. Do I have the right to ask to pay in installments or will they legaly refuse and continue to demand payment in full until they put the case through to the court? at which point, would the judge then allow me to pay in installments or as it's a DVLA debt would the bailiffs be sent straight to me?

I want to ring the collection company today but would be very grateful if somebody could help me with my questions so I know where I stand and the best way to help the situation for when I speak to them.

Many thanks

Capquest - No cca yet - OC sent what they think is a CCA - account on hold - no contact since

Lewis - Lost their tongue after cca request:roll: -

Now in default of my CCA request - still no contact since:D

Fredrickson - No cca yet - Now in default of my request - now stopped contact with me:rolleyes: **UPDATE** April - Sent back £1 p/o and gave up!!!!!!!!!!

1ST Credit - CCA request sent - now stopped contact with me

If it is a Late Licensing Penalty for not licensing your vehicle, it is a civil debt which is a County Court matter. I don't know if debt collectors are obliged to accept payment in instalments, but depepending on the circumstance, if it gets as far as court a judge may.

It used to be a criminal matter. That meant the DVLA had to take cases to the magistrates court where the lost most of the cases.

Our previous government did not like losing all this easy money so the legislated to make these penalties a 'debt to the crown'. So you can now be sued by our queen with DVLA as agent in a civil court where the burden of proof is different and they often win.

This applies particularly to SORN.

The Late Licensing Penalty has been a civil matter since it was introduced in 2006.