False claim against me - what to do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week I parked as normal outside a relative's house and went inside.

About an hour later a man knocked the door and claimed that I had hit his car and damaged the front bumper.

I went out and looked at the damage to his car which had a scuff on the bumper and he claimed that he had seen me do it but there was no damage visible on my vehicle,unfortunately the only witness I had to my parking the car was my nine year old Grandson.

The road is extremely busy and opposite a park so cars are constantly coming and going so I can only assume that a car previous to mine had caught his bumper and I told him this.

At the time he was quite abusive and threatened to call the Police which I told him that he was free to do as I was adament I had not caused the damage.At this point I went back into my relative's house and stayed for about two hours but noone came and I thought no more about it and as he did not ask me for any of my details I thought that he had finally believed me.

Today I have received a claim form from my insurers (I assume he had taken my registration) asking about an incident at midnight on this date,at this time I was at home in bed and my car was parked at the rear of my house.

How should I reply to my insurers?

Reply as you have here; i.e. you were not involved in an accident, there is no damage to your car and you deny any involvement and expect them to defend your position.

Seconded - make a point that you deny 'all' knowledge of the incident.

Just remember, it's up to them prove yes not you to prove no.

I bet the claim is for a new bumper and not just a tidy up.

Thanks for your replies, I have sent a letter to my insurance just saying that at the time stated on their claim my car was parked at home but I am now in the middle of a nightmare.

This morning I received a letter from the local Police saying that they were considering prosecuting me for dangerous driving,without due care and attention,leaving the scene of an accident and driving without reasonable consideration for other persons - has this man gone mad!!

I have sent my driver details to the Police along with the following email:

I refer to your letter dated July 15th 2010 received this morning.

With regard to the incident to which the letter refers,I was not involved in any traffic accident as stated in your correspondence.

On the evening of the alleged accident I was visiting a relative accompanied by my nine year old Grandson,I parked as normal near her house and we went inside.

I had been at the house for approximately two hours when a gentleman knocked the door and said that he had witnessed me hit his car while I was parking,I left the house and went to the vehicle and there was a small scuff on his bumper but I was not responsible and I told him that I would have been aware of it at the time I parked.

The road in question is quite busy and opposite a park with many vehicles coming and going during the course of the day and I can only assume that a vehicle previous to mine had caused the damage,I apologised and said that I could not really help him any further.

At this point the man became quite abusive and did threaten to call the Police to which I replied that he was free to do so but I needed to get my Grandson into my relative's house and I told him that I would be there if the Police needed to speak to me.

I stayed there until approximately 11.00 pm but noone came to the house and I assumed that he had taken my word for it that the damage to his car had in fact been caused by someone else.

In addition to your letter I have received correspondence from my Insurance Company enquiring about an incident on the same date but at midnight,I have susequently written to them stating that at this date and time I was at my home and my car was parked in a parking bay at the rear of my property.

Please find attached a copy of the declaration that you require,I will forward a hard copy in the post.

I am really worried now and just don't know what else to do.

Thanks for your replies, I have sent a letter to my insurance just saying that at the time stated on their claim my car was parked at home but I am now in the middle of a nightmare.

This morning I received a letter from the local Police saying that they were considering prosecuting me for dangerous driving,without due care and attention,leaving the scene of an accident and driving without reasonable consideration for other persons - has this man gone mad!!

I have sent my driver details to the Police along with the following email:

I refer to your letter dated July 15th 2010 received this morning.

With regard to the incident to which the letter refers,I was not involved in any traffic accident as stated in your correspondence.

On the evening of the alleged accident I was visiting a relative accompanied by my nine year old Grandson,I parked as normal near her house and we went inside.

I had been at the house for approximately two hours when a gentleman knocked the door and said that he had witnessed me hit his car while I was parking,I left the house and went to the vehicle and there was a small scuff on his bumper but I was not responsible and I told him that I would have been aware of it at the time I parked.

The road in question is quite busy and opposite a park with many vehicles coming and going during the course of the day and I can only assume that a vehicle previous to mine had caused the damage,I apologised and said that I could not really help him any further.

At this point the man became quite abusive and did threaten to call the Police to which I replied that he was free to do so but I needed to get my Grandson into my relative's house and I told him that I would be there if the Police needed to speak to me.

I stayed there until approximately 11.00 pm but noone came to the house and I assumed that he had taken my word for it that the damage to his car had in fact been caused by someone else.

In addition to your letter I have received correspondence from my Insurance Company enquiring about an incident on the same date but at midnight,I have susequently written to them stating that at this date and time I was at my home and my car was parked in a parking bay at the rear of my property.

Please find attached a copy of the declaration that you require,I will forward a hard copy in the post.

I am really worried now and just don't know what else to do.

You cannot be prosecuted for these offences without evidence and as you say you didn't cause the damage, there won't be any. Also these charges would have to be dealt with in court so you would need to be charged first. So unless the guy has CCTV footage of you hitting his car I should'nt worry about it. The police may and visit you to inspect your car however.

I think the letter you have sent explains it all and you write a similar one to your insurers.

Please keep us posted.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.