• Tweets

• Hi all,   I hope this is the right forum to ask the question.    Today I have had a knock on the door, with a man claiming to be a roofer saying that he and his team is doing a big job near by and today there is some down time and they would like to go around the neighborhood to find extra jobs with a discount. He looked genuine enough and asked if I would like to have my gutters cleaned.  When he gave the price of 120 pounds and that he would do it straight away.  I agreed.    I was very busy today with back to back work meetings and I just left them doing the job.  Soon one of his team came to me again saying that while cleaning the gutter he saw some missing slated and rotten timber underneath, with some small birds nesting in the holes, asking if I would like to get it fixed.  I asked for a quote and he said no more than a couple of hundred and he can do it quickly.  If I don't fix it then potentially it would result in damages to the walls etc.  He wanted to show me the damages but I was in the middle of a meeting and just agreed, but insisted that I must be informed of any more work and anything more expensive I need to see a quote first before deciding.   So about two hours later they told me they have completed the job --- I did not observe them.  And to my estonishment they gave an invoice initially of 1750 pounds!  The reason, they explained was that they went on to the flat roof and find edge of the roof splines to be in a poor condition and decided to repair those for me.  They used concrete to secure them and was quoting 40 pounds each, for total of 41.  They also said they sealed the lead covers underneath.  The original job to fix the rotten timber was quoted at around 500 (already much more than I was expecting).  They gave me a discount which resulted in that 1750 figure.  They claimed repairing those were necessary as part of repairing the rotten timbers?  I am no expert but it didn't sound right.   I am definitely not happy and asked for an itemized breakdown of materials and labour before I will consider paying any of it. They then sent me an invoice of 1500 with no details at all.   It has now dawned on me that all of it feels so fishy.  I am considering my next actions:   - I am willing to pay for gutter cleaning - I am willing to pay for the repairs for rotten timber, IF they can provide proof of what they have done.  I am asking for before and after photos. - I am not willing to pay for the work I have not asked for and did not know of beforehand.  They tried to make it sound like I agreed to it, but I am quite certain I definitely did not.  However there is no proof, everything is verbal.   There are no contracts signed.  As of now I have not paid them a penny.   I wish to seek advice on if my next step actions are reasonable and what other courses I should take?  To be honest I am now really gutted that I opened the door for them, and I am now even not sure if they had actually replaced anything on my roof as I did not see any rotten timber being taken down, no waste whatsoever.  I am even more worried if the roof was damaged in the process.   I am sure they will be coming back to my house tomorrow to demand payment, so any advice on how to deal with them would be really helpful.  I also don't want to antagonise them, I have no idea who those people are, I checked their company and it looks like they only established it last year.   Thank you so much in advance!    
    • You think the "Local Council" (of other authority depending on the status of the road) had a responsibility to take winter weather precautions for your protection.   Before gaining my support, can you confirm that you did similarly by equipping your car with 'winter' tyres?   Most people 'south of the border' do not bother. In many countries/regions (including where I live) they are obligatory in winter months irrespective of daily weather conditions.  They work, even on black ice, but adapting driving style is still required.
    • well cabot get nowt then.   cant hurt to CCA BC, they never kept them in the right format most of the time anyway.   the Barclays OD , what i means is you are no longer having any wages/benefits or anything paid into it...thus you are controlling when it ever gets any money...whats the sum?
    • aI have made a further complaint to the ICO regarding the second incomplete data disclosure received from Ombudsman Services. Within their disclosure is a key document missing a date. The date on the document I am in receipt of does not match the data of the document the Ombudsman disclosed and appears as if their document could have been deliberately falsely dated by a member of staff that works(ed?) in the "Legal & Compliance Team".   I believe I am now in receipt of evidence that the OS is attempting to mislead both myself and the court.   Are the CAG aware that it is highly likely that a signifcant number of staff that work at Ombudsman Services also work on behalf of POPLA? This should certainly steer the understanding of what sort of treatment appellants can receive when using such a "service".
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

I left England 10 years ago

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I left England 10 years ago. I have been getting my pension since Nov 2008. Suddenly my pension has been reduced by a third; 33 pounds.

I have had no warning of this. Telephone contact was of course not productive with vague reasons and put offs while they check it out. The only thing they said was that it may be connected to being overpaid, while I was on job seekers in 1999.

My jobseekers allowance was worked out by them on all the relevant information requested by them (with all evidence etc of claims supplied by me.)

As I don´t live in England anymore this is creating a big financial problem.

Can they do this?

Post moved and new thread created.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Normally most debts become Statute Barred after six years and no enforcement can be taken, however the DWP have a partial exemption in as much that although they cannot take any legal enforcement they can deduct monies owing from certain benefits and pensions.

If there are monies owing and the monies they are deducting are causing real hardship you may be able to negotiate a reduced repayment plan.

I'm flagging your post up for another member of the site team who is more knoledgeable with DWP issues.

• Haha 1

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Hi Barry. I apologise for the delay in answering cerebusalert did ask me to look in but I had just gone offline to attend a telephone conference.

Ok, cerebusalert has got it spot on in regard to deductions for overpayments. Can they do this? Perhaps. What it depends on, is the reason that the overpayment occured.

If the overpayment was caused by your failure to disclose a material fact, or a misrepresentation on your part then yes, they can continue these deductions, but you can ask for them to be scheduled at a lower amount. However, your words below lead me to believe that it isn't the case that the overpayment was caused by you:

My jobseekers allowance was worked out by them on all the relevant information requested by them (with all evidence etc of claims supplied by me.)

An overpayment caused by error of the DWP in calculating the claim, or overpaying after you had signed off is not recoverable. It is only recoverable if you attributed to the overpayment by misrepresentation or failure to disclose.

The relevant lesgilation is section 71 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992. Also, recent caselaw dictates that an overpayment which was not caused by the claimant's misrepresentation or failure to disclose, is not recoverable. The case law is R (Child Poverty Action Group) v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions [2009] EWCA Civ 1058; [2009] WLR (D) 296

Press release here

So what you need to do is ask them in writing, how the overpayment occured and why it is recoverable in view of the legislation I have quoted.

If you know that you have neither misrepresented or failed to disclose a fact which would have resulted in an overpayment, you should appeal against the decision to recover, again quoting the law. It is very important that you appeal this within one month of the date of the decision to recover. If you have not been notified in writing that the deductions are an overpayment of JSA then you should ask them to send you the decision in to recover in writing and appeal within 13 months of the initial date of decision to recover stating your reasons for appeal (remember to quote the law), and telling them that your appeal is late because you were not notified at the date of the decision. Enclose a copy - not an original, a copy - of the new notification to show when it was actually sent out (circle the date on their letter and the word "duplicate").

The appeal form is attached.

gl24dwp.pdf

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)