Thames Water Meter Broken for Years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My parents own a small business and have their water supplied by Thames Water.

It's metered, but the meter has been broken for a long time now. The meter constantly ticks over whether a tap inside the shop and flat above is being used or not.

Many years ago my Dad enquired to Thames water about getting them to fix this but they responded back saying something to the effect of, because the meter was outside the property, it was our problem and effectively our cost to take care of.

We never did get it fixed - i believe because it was too expensive.

Anyhow, we've lived with it for years, and basically turn the water off at the mains when we don't need it to save money, and turn it on again when we do. (obviously this is a big pain it being outside the property - i guess its just something we've learned to live with)

Can anyone offer any advice about what to do with this and whether Thames Water should indeed take responsibilty seeing as they're meant to be supplying us?!

I mean, we've lived with it for so long, but would be insteresting to know whether or not there was something we could do about it.

(My Dad's not too clued up with this sort of thing and probably didn't fight a hard enough battle all those years ago)

:D

CAG Newbie

Hi thetruth23

It might be an idea to get Thames Water to fix it, (but you could get quotes from other reputable firms) as if it is faulty, you might of been paying too much. If you've paid too much you can get that refunded for at least 6 years. But you need to get the meter working correctly to establish if you've overpaid.

Thames Water overcharging fiasco - Times Online

If you want to complain about Thames Water contact OFWAT.

Edited by rebel11

The water meter belongs to the water company. If it is faulty is is for them to change it. But is it faulty?

Nearly all water meters work by the water passing through pushing against a mechanism which turns the dials. If there is no flow through the meter the dials will not turn as there is no force to turn them. So if it is recording there is definitely water passing through the meter - it cannot record on its own.

First if the meter continues recording usage when the mains tap is turned off then either

a) There is a leak between the meter and mains tap.

or b) the mains tap is faulty and still lets water through

Second you say that the usage shown is continuous when the mains tap is turned on. There are two explanations for this appearance.

a) you are observing the slow filling of a header tank which in turn services slow filling toilet cisterns. In most properties with routine water usage the header tank is almost continuously being filled up. This is normal.

b) there is a leak within your property ie post your mains tap.

The commonest leak is an overfilled header tank or toilet cistern (due to a faulty washer on the inlet control mechanism). Most overflow pipes discharge to the outside and the water loss is plainly visible but some overflow systems particularly in modern toilets may flow into drains directly and not be visible. Take the lids off and observe the overflow pipe when the cistern is full. - it should be well above the full level. Look for leaks everywhere else.

You should check everything out before involving the water company otherwise changing the meter and testing it could be a waste of effort. If they replace your meter and tests show it is functioning normally you will have to pay. If the meter is recording it is working. It may still be over or under recording and so be faulty but you are not complaing of this.

Thanks guys.

I need to investigate more. Perhaps it isn't faulty...I've just taken my Dad's word for it for so many years!

Likeihood is that the thought of having to pay money if it wasn't faulty has put my dad of.

I'll think up, and then run, some tests in due course to figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks for both the responses.

CAG Newbie

Thanks guys.

I need to investigate more. Perhaps it isn't faulty...I've just taken my Dad's word for it for so many years!

Likeihood is that the thought of having to pay money if it wasn't faulty has put my dad of.

I'll think up, and then run, some tests in due course to figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks for both the responses.

CAG Newbie