• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

£8,600 of charges in 42 months

Ant84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Preliminary letter sent to Mr John Cunanne at Borehamwood asking for refund of charges to the amount of £13,591.19. Received by them on 20th July. Does the 14 day deadline start when I sent the letter or when they received it?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From when they receive it. Did you send it recorded?

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

From when they receive it. Did you send it recorded?

Yes, sent by recorded delivery. Checked the Royal Mail website this morning and it was received by Natwest on 20th July.

I'm very excited about this, the money will come in very handy for my new car! :)

OK, so that'll be 34th July :)

(moves the beads on the abacus)

3rd August. Of course if they write back and say they're not going to do anything about it, you can move straight to the LBA stage. And if they reply to that saying 'this is our final response on this matter, sod off', again the timeline moves. But.. only if you feel comfortable doing this. Otherwise wait til the 14 + 14 expires.

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

OK, so that'll be 34th July :)

(moves the beads on the abacus)

3rd August. Of course if they write back and say they're not going to do anything about it, you can move straight to the LBA stage. And if they reply to that saying 'this is our final response on this matter, sod off', again the timeline moves. But.. only if you feel comfortable doing this. Otherwise wait til the 14 + 14 expires.

I'm fully expecting the standard letters they send out, in which case I'll just move straight onto the next step. With the knowledge I can find and people I can take advice from here, I'm not afraid of them.

What sort of timescale do you think I'll be looking at, on average, once those 28 days have expired and I have started the claim?

Depends. Five days to receive the claim, then they'll probably acknowledge it giving them 28 days to defend. Once the defence goes in it can be a couple of months before a trial, or might be quicker. All depends on how long they chose to drag it out for. On a positive note, interest at 8% a year accrues from the date of each charge to the date of the claim, then at a daily rate of the equivalent of 8% but for a day, if that makes sense. So therefore it's in the banks interest to settle as quick as possible as the interest on a claim of your size will certainly clock up quick.

-------

-------

Hi Ant84

Im in a very similar position to you. Ive just sent them a approach for repayment letter for £9,206.00 (£5,279.00 for business & £3,927.00 for personal) - not including interest. All this in just over 4yrs.

Let me know how you get on because Im now worried that I wont be able to claim back my business costs!

Just out of interest Ive found this :NatWest - Financing - Invoice Finance re; your earlier post. Hope it helps.

Kevin

14th June 06 - Request of Charges sent to NatWest

22nd July 06 - Approach for Repayment sent, £5,279.00 claimed for business account & £3,927.00 for personal account)

28th July 06 - Acknowledgement letter received

4th Aug 06 - Offer of Goodwill payment received 2006 (£1,050.00) - Personal account.

17th Aug 06 - Offer of Goodwill payment received (£918.00) - Business account.

17th Aug 06 - LBA (both accounts) sent (not accepting either offers)

23rd Aug 06 - Recieved letter from famous Mr Higley telling me where to go.

5th Sept 06 - MCOL Submitted - for Personal (£4,422.56 inc interest)

8th Sept 06 - N1 (hard copy claim) submitted - for Business

13th Oct 06 - AQ sent (business)

Hi Ant84

Im in a very similar position to you. Ive just sent them a approach for repayment letter for £9,206.00 (£5,279.00 for business & £3,927.00 for personal) - not including interest. All this in just over 4yrs.

Let me know how you get on because Im now worried that I wont be able to claim back my business costs!

Just out of interest Ive found this :NatWest - Financing - Invoice Finance re; your earlier post. Hope it helps.

Kevin

Thanks for that link, Kevin. Some useful information on there.

Why are you worried that you won't be able to claim back your business costs? If it's anything to do with what our Natwest business manager said, then I really wouldn't worry if I were you! He's obviously just trying to scare me off.

Best of luck with your claim. Not that you'll need it ;)

Anthony.

*UPDATE*

Just received the standard letter from the infamous Mr Higley, basically telling me to get lost and that they won't be refunding my charges. At least they're not taking their time over it and now I can get straight to the next step of the LBA.

LBA will be sent in this afternoon's post.

Hi Antony

I was just worried because I heard that business costs cannot be claimed back unless via the ombudsman, and even then it would only be for a max of £1,500.00. Do you know anything about this at all? should I still go for all costs (business and personal)?

I'm new to all this and find it a little confusing!

Kevin

22nd July 06 - Approach for Repayment sent, £5,279.00 claimed for business account & £3,927.00 for personal account)

4th Aug 06 - Offer of Goodwill payment received 2006 (£1,050.00) - Personal account.

Hi Antony

I was just worried because I heard that business costs cannot be claimed back unless via the ombudsman, and even then it would only be for a max of £1,500.00. Do you know anything about this at all? should I still go for all costs (business and personal)?

I'm new to all this and find it a little confusing!

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

There are people on this site who know much, much more than me about claiming charges back, and they think the £1,500 from the Ombudsman suggestion is rubbish.

I was sceptical of going for all my charges back in one go at first, but the banks seem completely unwilling to go to court at all. My advice to you would be to press ahead with your claims and not to worry about anything. It's you that holds the aces here.

Best of luck.

Anthony.

Hi Antony

Its good to hear your type of support - you make it all sound so easy! I just wish there was someone out there that has been in the same sort of boat as us, who has got there money back successfully.

I would then think that if they can do it - so can I :grin:

*UPDATE*

Sent my LBA the other day and got this reply in the post today...

Dear 'Ant84',

Thank you for your further (undated) letter received here yesterday.

I see that you have again claimed that the bank is acting as your fiduciary, which is not the case. If your claim is based on this premise, I can only recommend that you seek separate legal advice. It is also relevant for me to point out that the Office of Fair Trading's investigation didn't extend to business banking facilities. It was directed solely at personal credit card administration charges.

That apart, I am sorry that we have reached this position but I regret that there is little that I can add constructively to my last letter and I note your proposed course of action. I have alerted our lawyers and litigation department accordingly. May I please remind you that the address to use when initiating legal documents is that of our Registered Office at 135 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3UR.

Thank you for letting me know of your intentions.

Yours sincerely

Stuart Higley.

What do people make of that? Does it seem like a pretty standard response from Natwest? There are still 12 days to go before the 14 days expires, what should I do?

Cheers in advance.

Anthony.

Looks like a standard response to me, ableit a rather patronising one. I'd keep going with your timetable, and as soon as the 14 days are up move to the next stage - ie Moneyclaim.

Whether the OFT's investigation related to business banking or not, and whether it was credit cards or not, the same fact still remains that you have asked them to explain their costs, in order to show that these aren't penalties. They haven't, so at this stage it is a penalty - and therefore irrecoverable under law. You know the rest of the details I'm sure so I won't bore you with them :)

Keep going.. they're assuming your threat of legal action was just that - a threat. They'll take it a whole lot more seriously when a claim lands on their desk.

Good luck, keep us posted!

-------

-------

Can someone please give me a quick breakdown of what costs I will incur to initiate my claim? Need to get it sorted out ready to proceed at the 14 day deadline.

Should I respond to Natwest's letter and get them to confirm that they will not be repaying the money before I commence legal action?

Cheers in advance.

Anthony.

Can someone please give me a quick breakdown of what costs I will incur to initiate my claim? Need to get it sorted out ready to proceed at the 14 day deadline.

£250 for the actual claim, if it gets to the stage where you need to submit an allocation questionnaire that'll cost another £100.

Then, if it actually gets to trial (highly unlikely), and assuming it gets allocated to the fast track, there'll be a £275 trial fee.

Should I respond to NatWest's letter and get them to confirm that they will not be repaying the money before I commence legal action?

Wouldn't bother. You sent the 14 day letter, they wrote back and said sod off, and said they were expecting your claim - so you've covered your actions as far as you can.

• Confused 1

-------

-------

Thanks thunderpuss, wasn't expecting a reply that fast! :D

So, I'll need the £250 to begin the claim. Roughly how long after that will I need another £100 for the allocation?

Cheers.

I'd say tops of a month, might be sooner. From the date of service they've got 14 days to either file a defence or an acknowledgement of service. The AOS gives them an additional 14 days to file a defence. If a defence is filed, both sides will be asked to fill out allocation questionnaires, that's where the £100 comes in.

After that, the District Judge considers the allocation questionnaires, and sometimes there's an allocation hearing. Otherwise, it gets allocated to the relevent track (in your case it should be fast track as it's under £15k and over the small claims limit), then it'll start moving towards trial.

Of course each stage that's reached means more legal costs for the other side - as you've not got solicitors bills to foot that means your costs won't be clocking up. However the banks costs will - and at some point they'll take a decision on settling out of court, as their mounting costs would have exceeded your original claim.

-------

-------

• 2 weeks later...

It's time to put my claim in tomorrow! Can't wait!

I could do with a little help with the actual claim part. If I use Moneyclaim, then I presume I'll need an amended version of the text in the FAQ, since I am a business account customer, not a current account holder?

I've also already added the 8% APR interest onto my preliminary and LBA letters, when I shouldn't have. I'm not too worried about that, it makes no difference in my opinion, the claim amount is still the same in the end.

hi ant, been reading your thread and wanted to wish you good luck...not that its needed!! lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

Right then. Sorry for the delay, been a bit sidetracked with a few other things.

The claimant needs to be the Limited Company name. If it's a sole trader, you'd be Mr Ant84 t/a XY & Z - if you get my drift. Partnerships, god knows as I've never been involved in one (and would rather not as they're always prone to arguments, but that's just my 10p worth!)

Anyway.. try this for size. God knows whether it's gonna fit, but sure you can jiggle it.

The claimant has a bank account with XYZ bank ([sORT CODE][ACCOUNT NUMBER]) conducted on their standard terms and conditions. The claimant claiming return of money taken by the defendant in way of charges between [sTART DATE] and [END DATE] totalling [£XXXX.XX]. These charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforcable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s4. In the event the charges are not a

penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s15. I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify their charges but they have declined to do so. I also claim interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from [sTART DATE] to [END DATE] of [£INTEREST AMOUNT] and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of [£DAILY RATE]

I've taken out the bit about the 'Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999' as you're not a consumer, you're a company.

Any thoughts or feedback appreciated.. I've set the ball rolling, it's up to everyone else to add to it now :)

-------

-------

Thanks Thunderpuss, we are a (dreaded) partnership, so not sure if that would affect matters or not.

Also, how do I work out what the daily rate of interest is at the end?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hmm ok, that's when it starts getting tricky. Is it a limited liability partnership (LLP)?

Daily interest, easy enough. Total charges (not including interest or court fees etc) multipled by 0.00022.

-------

-------

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks