• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

oh my goodness... what a mess... totalled car.. void insurance? void gap insurance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

i really dont know where to start with this, but ill start with the facts. im looking for advice and to know my rights in the following situation.

Thanks in Advance xx

i purchased an 07 plate car in april 08, i financed this and i am the registered keeper, however when it came to insure the car my dad was and still is the main driver and i was the named driver, i had a crash on july 11th- just over 48 hours ago and the car has been totalled... first of all on the insurance policy document it stated the policy holder (my dad) was the registered keeper.. which we boobed on! as i am.. do we invalidate the insurance policy because of this? the insurance company asked me when i phoned the claim in who the registered keeper was i stated myself he said he would have to speak to the underwriters to see if this was ok, he came back stateing he would need to see proof of purchase on the car and the v5 (logbook) before the claim can go ahead, why do they need to see this as i have already advised them that i am and the policy holder isnt as stated on the policy? he asked how the incident happened i explained, he advised i would need to take responsibility straight away. so the car got towed and was pronounced economically unfit to repair (write off). also the insurance evaluator has already called with 48 hours to give us a price for the totalled car on the terms that the documents that were asked are provided they will pay x amount of money? surely the hiccup with the registered keeper and them offering money isnt a problem ?

now the car is on finance and at the time i took the finance out i took gap insurance in my name.. now do i invalidate this gap policy too because i am not the main driver on the car insurance policy as i am on the gap insurance policy?

1 more thing i have made a claim to gap insurance and they have said i need to provide documents, what documents would they ask for? will they ask for an mot certificate because just a little more info the new car was due its 1st mot in june 2010- it was new at purchase 2007....so no mot certificate...

am i gonna get done over?

this is not how i run my life style its just a mix up of oooh im sorting the insurance out dads sorting the mot.. and the v5 and he thought the same...

any advise will be sooo much appreciated... and i thank my lucky stars for seatbelts and airbags otherwise me and my little boy might not be sat here right now.

many thanks x

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Now, take a deep breath and relax. I'm not experienced in motor matters, but we have some good people who are and they should be along later.

You've given us a lot of detail to go on and I'm sure when the right cagger turns up, they'll have advice for you. It's not going to ruin your life, keep cool and count your blessings for now.

I'll contact a couple of insurance gurus and see if they can look in.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

It doesnt look good for both policies I am afraid. The contradictions of keeper etc will void them and as the gap policy pays depending on what the first policy gives you, the gap wont pay out when looking into why problems of insurance payment of claim have arrisen

To put it bluntly they will suspect you of naming your dad as keeper on the first policy to save costs, there is a term for this situation, but I forget at present. Think its called fronting.

Its not a matter of being 'dun over' but incorect info giving doubts and invalidating.

Sorry not a positive comment.

surely they wouldnt suspect us of fronting im 30 years of age, dont people 'front' for thier 18 year old kids?... he genuinely was the main driver.. he had a bad credit history i financed the car and i was the second driver.. things just genuinely got mixed up.

if the insurance company pay up as they have made an offer today? surely the gap insurance wont see it as problem if the 1st insurance pays up?

oh god this is a mess!!!

thankyou for your input, i fully appreciate it

Your dad is the policyholder, so he would have been the one to complete the proposal form to get the quote.

One of the questions he would have been asked is 'Are you the registered keeper AND owner of this vehicle', he obviously answered yes to this, otherwise more questions would have been asked at that stage.

The registered keeper is not necessarily the owner, hence why insurers ask the question phrased in that way.

The policy was issued on the understanding that all questions had been answered correctly, insurance is based on 'utmost good faith'.

Insurers face a common problem of 'fronting', that is where an older person, usually mum or dad insures the car and lets son ro daughter drive it, but the car is really owned by the son or daughter. Obviously this reduced the insurance premiums, so the insurers now have the right to void the policy because what you stated on the propsal form was NOT true, the registered keeper and owner was not correct.

If your dad does not have another car (or access to one such as a company car), then there is a very small chance that you could convince the insurers it was an oversight and your dad really is the main user.

GAP insurance pays out the difference between what your insurers pay out and what the finance company are owed, you would have to check with them (or their terms and conditions) to see how you stand if your insurers void the policy.

Best advice I can give you is to plead your case with your insurers, convince them it was a genuine oversight and explain why/how this error occurred and ask them to consider dealing with it, offer to pay them any difference in premiums.

Mossy

Agree with mossycat.

If you purchased the car on finance, the finance company may well have required the V5 log book to state yourself as the registered owner and that you maintained adequate Insurance on the car in your name.

You really should have had the Insurance arranged in your name, with you stating that your dad was the main driver and registered keeper.

Why did you think it was ok to put the Insurance in your dads name when he doesn't own the car? The Insurers will be looking for a good explanation about this. Does your dad live at a different address and can you prove the car was kept at your dads address, providing this is the same address shown on the Insurance schedule ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

he lives at a different address? same address as the insurance policy.. how can i proove that it is kept at his address???

the towers from the accident towed it thier?

Unclebulgaria may well have given you a lifeline. (Good thinking to check if a different address was involved)

Stress to your insurers that the car is his, offer to sign a statement of truth that the car is kept at your fathers property and the only reason that you are the registered keeper was to arrange the finance because your father could not get credit. State that you were not trying to deceive or front (play on your age and hopefully the fact that you have at least the same if not more NCD than your dad).

If things do not go well hint (that's hint at this stage) that you might involve the ombudsman.

Mossy

oh, i see, but then there is the other concern that im the registered owner.. i own the log book at my address.. which is a different address.. but on the policy it states that my dad is the registered owner. i have stated this to them on the telephone and they spoke to the underwriters.. and the underwriters have said they want to see proof of purchase of the car and the registration certificate, does anybody know why they are asking this>? or do they just want the proof so they can turn round and say we've got the proof we're voiding your insurance?

Just do everything they ask, answer any questions and explain the whole situation to them.

If you try to avoid or appear to delay, they will think you have something to hide.

If your explanation is per your posts to this site, you really should not have anything to worry about. You registered the car as you had bought it on finance. You thought (wrongly) that because your dad was the main driver/keeper of the vehicle that the policy had to be in his name.

Keep it simple.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread