Pension Credits and Carers Allowance

woosey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I cannot work as I am a full time Carer at home for my brother who is seriously ill. He receives Pension Credit and DLA, I receive arers Allowance and Income Support. However I have just read the booklet from the government regarding Pension Credits and it states that notification should be given if someone living with you receives Carer's benefit. Does this mean that my brothers's Pension Credits will be reduced? With all the health problems we have faced recently, this is something I did not check and now I am concerned they will also backdate any discrepencies. Can you please help.

Hello and welcome to CAG. I don't know about these benefits myself, but I'm sure someone will be along who does know. It just depends who's around at the moment.

If you don't have a reply by later today or tomorrow, go into your own thread and post a reply to it that says 'Bump'= bring up my post.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I hope someone who "really knows" comes and answers this, but here's my 2 cents worth:

russian_roulette.gif

If you are getting carers allowance this will cause a reduction to your bro's DLA. However, his pension credits should also be increased by the same amount as the DLA reduction in order to provide him a personal minimum income (£132.20/week if memory serves).

unsure.gif

Make sure that you get the correct info (as opposed to my waffle) before you inform HMRC, try googling CAB or "Welfare Rights" or "Law Centres. Here's a good place to start (on-line benefits calculators and advice centres etc.): http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/125283-useful-links.html

Best regards,

Paul. hi.gif

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

I cannot work as I am a full time Carer at home for my brother who is seriously ill. He receives Pension Credit and DLA, I receive arers Allowance and Income Support. However I have just read the booklet from the government regarding Pension Credits and it states that notification should be given if someone living with you receives Carer's benefit. Does this mean that my brothers's Pension Credits will be reduced? With all the health problems we have faced recently, this is something I did not check and now I am concerned they will also backdate any discrepencies. Can you please help.

The benefits of the person you care for

If you claim Carer's Allowance, it could affect the amount of benefit the person you care for receives.

The person you care for could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit. If you only have an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance and are not actually paid it, this will not affect the benefits of the person you care for.