Jump to content

Am I eligible for a bank charge refund?

Mark McBurney

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, i've read about all of your successes regarding reclaiming bank charges and I just wondered whether I'd be eligible to apply for a refund...


I had an account with originally Midland Bank and then HSBC right up until I was made bankrupt - not by HSBC - in 2007. During the period of probably 2000 - 2007 I amassed a fair few bank charges being a bit irresponsible with money and I'm just wondering whether as the account is now closed and getting copy statements would be, I imagine, difficult at best and a bloody nightmare at worst, I could apply for a refund?


I fully expect to be told no and that is fine, I made the mistakes and paid the charges so why should I, I just wondered from Reading about the cases on here.


Thank you in anticipation.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mark , welcome to the forum :)


There are a few points here , but basically I would say that they are obliged to hold your records for 6 years after the closure of your account ..... and they can go back 6 years with your statements .... i.e to 2004 ........


This means that you probably had these charges which we're all in the process of trying to reclaim .........prior to the OFT 'Test Case' fiasco , the banks were making 'goodwill' payments i.e. refunds , rather than going to court to explain their charges .....


Since the OFT messed it up , it's a bit more difficult , but there is a glimmer of hope and we're waitng the results of some cases now to see if it's worth while going for it again.....

(there are literally thousands of cases 'stayed' in courts at the moment, waiting to see what happens .... )


However , if you want to have a go , you've got time to do the Prelim legwork ........ send HSBC a SAR asking for everything they've got on your closed account .... it'll cost £10 .... but they're duty bound to produce all they have on you within 40 days .... so I 'd say it's worth it .........




This should get you started and you'll have time to read up on FAQs and other threads to see how to proceed ..... if at any stage you are in doubt , just come back on this thread and ask .... someone will answer , and we're user-friendly on here :)

Nemo me impune lacessit



Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...