Given Notice to quit but Letting Agent won't change contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Can anyone tell me where i stand?

I have not lived in a property for 5 years but my ex partner still does. The contract which i am told is valid has my name on this and the agency want to charge me £150 to re new this and have my name taken off.

I contacted the CAB and they advised me all i had to do was write a letter giving notice to quite as the contract has been rolling over since 2005.

I have since done this having had the letter signed for by the agency of which i have proof.

I have since contacted the agency and they have advised me my letter has been filled and noted however i still need to pay £150 for a new one should i wish my name to be taken off :confused:

Is this legal and are the breaking the law by not renewing the contract with my ex. Surely the contract that they hold is not valid? The contract is also not signed by the landlord either back in 2005 and can't be as he is now dead!

I am at a loss now and really would appreciate any help

Thanks

Surprisingly, CAB is correct.

Serve one months notice and your association with the property ends. If the agents want your ex to sign a new contract, then he should pay the fee. Your liability to the property and any associated fees ends one month after the service of correct notice.

I would judt ignore your letting agents from now on, they have no legal comeback.