• Tweets

• Not sure about the lease read through all the documents i have and couldnt find anything about parking. Contacted the management Office to get a copy sent to me. When i complained to them about the ticket they told me to appeal so they clearly don't care.      and yes it's a gated underground parking area with key fob entry. 
    • The coronavirus pandemic has thrown many countries into recession - but what exactly is it and how could it affect you? View the full article
    • Oh and before bed   Officially leaked statements about a PHE report claiming that a UK study will say there is little evidence of children transmitting Covid.   Leakers stats look impressive until you realise he's on Johnson's SAGE so makes you think - huh - hows that then when all the science I've seen says different, and there are a number of reports of spreads in schools across the world from schools that had opened.   Then, little as the information 'leaked' is, you see   "largest studies in the world on coronavirus in schools" and then "The study was carried out in 100 institutions in the UK and is expected to be published later this year. About 20,000 pupils and teachers in 100 schools across England were tested to monitor the spread of the disease up to the end of the summer term – which runs from April-July in Britain."   Then you click. That averages 200 pupils and staff per 'institution' checked We dont know what these institutions are, but I think over 200 is the average for infants schools. Other schools tend to be FAR larger. Did they test everyone at each institution, or just some ??? we don't know yet - they are choosing not to leak that - Wonder why?   We currently understand that younger children (pre teenage) seem to present few/less symptoms  (statistically) but large increases in teenager covid has been reported as lockdowns ease and they start to meet more.   I know my OH's grandson (mother a nurse) has remained at school in classes one third or less that normal, with the majority of kids having front line worker parents - so well aware of the discipline and hygiene necessary. We know the schools maintain distancing, monitoring and maintenance which would be IMPOSSIBLE in normal class sizes.   So in a lock down situation, with class sizes significantly lower than normal (highly aware front-line workers kids mainly), increased distancing and cleaning made possible by SIGNIFICANTLY smaller class sizes - Has maybe resulted in no great evidence of covid spread perhaps?   Well Whoopy do. Lets ramp the class sizes back up to 30+ and see what happens ..     Lets let the mail lead the way Coronavirus infection rates are rising in ALL age groups under 65, Public Health England data shows with biggest surge in under-fives which 'should be watched very carefully' https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8615423/Coronavirus-infection-rates-rising-age-groups-65-Public-Health-England-data-shows.html     and the ONS stats showing how similar the stats are (a statistically significant  difference can be very little actual difference)   https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19infectionsinthecommunityinengland/july2020     Notes: These statistics refer to infections reported in the community, by which we mean private households. These figures exclude infections reported in hospitals, care homes or other institutional settings.  
    • i understand and agree you should write a formal letter of complaint about the email by royal mail.   i also think you should totally dispute the arrears balance, esp as it goes back so long   send them an sar and add to the text in it that you want statements/bills dating back to the gb energy a/c.
    • When you see the reports coming out that serco was involved from the earliest stages apparently to give expertise   and that resulted in 18 million plus people coming back into the UK untested from hotspots .. and then even the general advice to self isolate after they had travelled across the UK home being withdrawn in the run-up to the lock down   That went well says cummings      
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
Superheroes

BlindJP vs Abbey vs Financial Ombudsman - HELP!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3639 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

OK Folks I would appreciate any advice that can be given on this one.

Way back in the good old days of people getting their charges back I put a claim in for mine against the Abbey, the total was then around 6.5K inc interest. At the same time (within around 10 days) of this the Abbey withdrew my overdraft saying it wasn't being managed correctly. I work on Oil Rigs and at the time it was very difficult to speak to anybody at a bank or even to monitor my balance as phone calls were limited to 10 mins with an auto cut off and internet wasnt always available onboard. Thus I incurred a fair few charges. I was advised to put the 1600 overdraft that had been withdrawn into dispute as I was claiming such a larger amount through the courts. This I duly did.

Posted guaranteed signed for delivery, all in order etc etc. So far so good.

A while later while trying to get a mortgage I was informed that I had a defaulted account on my credit file that would basically prevent me from getting any credit but they could tell me who what or why.

I went to credit expert.com to find out as much as I could and lo and behold the default was from Abbey! Issued AFTER I had written to them to put the account into dispute. I tried in vain to get hold of somebody at the Abbey but as I officially no longer had an account with them they simply refused to deal with me, in any way shape or form. So I went to the Ombudsman to complain and to try to get the default removed.

This was over two years ago and since then the Abbey have sent their debt collectors in three times. Each time I have simply informed them that the account was in dispute, sent a letter confirming this and that was that.

I informed the ombudsman who told me they should NOT be doing this on a disputed account and to forward the details to him. Which again I did.

Then, last week I received a phone call from them to say that they had still heard nothing from the Abbey as they had requested and as the deadline was the following day it was going to be escalated further.

Three days later I had another phone call to say that the Ombudsman dealing with this saying that he had just received a pile of info from the Abbey (yes, after his deadline) that he now HAD to take into account.

This week I receive a letter from the ombudsman saying that he had reviewed the case notes including telephone call transcriptions, letters etc and that although Abbey could produce all this information but somehow could NOT produce any form of the actual letter they allegedly sent to me informing me that they were putting my account into default and, due to the fact (unbeknownst to me) Abbey did not and had never recognised my request for the account to be put into default he was finding in their favour as he believed and I quote from the conversation I had with him today "in my opinion they probably sent the letter even though you didnt get it" he has found in their favour!

When I asked him how he came to this decision he simply said "its my opinion".

When I asked him if it was standard practice for banks to simply refuse to recognise a customers request without informing them and basically ignoring them where does that leave the consumer, as if this is the case it gives the Banks carte blanche to do anything they feel like (yes I know they do anyway!) , the Abbey is saying "they dont recognise the dispute" no letters informing me of this, nothing, not 2 years ago not since, nothing! and to cap it all off, when I asked him if he thought it was right that the Abbey can give him EVERYTHING he asked for EXCEPT a copy of the letter they claim they sent which is the most important piece of 'evidence', that it's right he finds in their favour?

I said, "do you think that a court of law would go along with that?.. "Your honour I have all the information you requested EXCEPT the main piece of information that proves they are not at fault" It would get laughed out of court." To which his reply was "well this isnt a court, this is based on my opinion"

I resisted the urge at this point to beat the phone repeatedly on the table!

He got quite short and simply told me that we were obviously at an impasse and he would escalate it further as I wasn't happy with the decision! and that was that!

When I did a very, and I mean VERY quick search to find out where I stood I found a wealth of information stating that its a breach of the banking code for the Abbey to default a disputed account and again a breach of the banking code for them to say they dont recognise my dispute.

The ombudsman is apparently escalating this, not that I have much hope there, lets face it, the court case turned into a debacle and now all of us with stayed cases are screwed as we cant afford to fight a risky court case that we are not guaranteed in winning, and if we lost the banks are going for full costs and with our money funding them their pockets are so much deeper than ours!

As I said, I'm keen to find out where I can go from here. The Abbey have deliberately ruined my credit, making me unable to get a mortgage or any other credit!

Since we lost the case and I have also just received a letter from the Abbey saying they are applying for a blanket lifting on stays now the case has gone in their favour with a whole load of legalese I didn't fully understand. Im resigned to the fact that I will have to repay them the disputed sum, but the case is still that they defaulted a disputed account without informing me!

If anyone has any ideas of where to go, what to do I would very much appreciate it.

thanks

I think you've been speaking to an adjudicator and he's escalating it to the Ombudsman for review - because I don't think the Ombudsman can escalate it - could be wrong there.

He should have given you another two weeks to supply any further info or arguments for your case - you may want to consider writing the whole thing very simply including the breaches of the Banking Code, refusal to acknowledge your account was in dispute (what did they think it was - on a fishing trip???) and anything else that's very pertinent.

I'd also talk to the OFT anyway because these are not about the lost case of last year, these are about existing practices and breaches of the Banking Code.

For what it's worth, Santander have lost loads of information during the take-over from Abbey - they've messed up big time with their data, it's just never going to be known by how much.

Hi Superheroes,

Another case where the FOS seem, unfairly, to find in favour of the bank. :mad:

Sticking to the important points, do you have a copy of your letter to the bank placing the further £1600 o/d in dispute. and did the FOS see your copy of this letter.

Was the £1,600 o/d made up purely from bank charges or where there other transactions in the o/d total.

What was the date of your dispute letter.

What date is the bank supposed to have sent you their Default letter.

If the FOS are now treating your case as a continuing complaint, you'll have to await their higher adjudication which can take ages.

In the meantime, you should put in writing to the FOS that you are not happy with the initial finding, that your complaint is not upheld, and you want the case reviewed by an adjudicator.

I would also make say:-

1. It is odd that the bank's pivotal document is missing.

2. Even if we accept that the bank could have sent the default warning, why was it sent at all when your letter had already placed the o/d in dispute because of the large amount you were reclaiming in charges.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi all,

had a very similar case with the ombudsman for the past year.

I have to say that it has been a complete waste of my time.

Egg registered 2 defaults against me, could not produce any evidence that they had sent them, messed up all the paperwork even ADMITTING that they may have sent them to a wrong address.

FSA still ruled in their favour saying Egg acted in good faith! Absolute quality.

Having also dealt with the FSA on other occasions I have yet to see/ hear of them ever ruling in favour of the customer, as in my opionion they are scared of the banks.

Oh yes - and why is it this country is in such a financial mess.........

:mad: