Does sale of goods act cover this problem?

dj9928

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a new iPhone 3G in April, all was fine until Apple released IOS4 update, which has rendered 3G iPhones useless, constant crashing, call drops, battery issues, and it effects every iPhone 3G not just mine, the phone basically has not enough memory to support the upgrade.

I have been onto Orange who put me through to apple, and told me to do various things, I had already done them like resetting the phone, but this only fixes it for a few hours,

What can I do?

No, sale of goods act does not cover this as the phone was fit for purpose upon purchase. It's only by modifications taken by yourself (i.e. software upgrade) after purchase which seem to have caused this problem. This might give you some standing against the software supplier (Apple in this case) but this is not to do with Orange and the sale of the equipment itself.

Saying that, i find it hard to believe that there's not a way to revert the OS on it. A search on online seem to show that it's not an easy task with Apple not officially supporting downgrading of software, and a lot of people coming up against the same problems you're experiencing. But i've seen a few posts that show a way it can be done, so search online to see how they did it (and come back to tell us if it was successful!).

Be very very careful before trying to downgrade your phone. If anything goes wrong and you brick it (basically, render it unusable) then you will get absolutely no support from Orange or Apple. Even any insurance wouldn't cover it.

Best bet is to stay in touch with Apple and try to get it resolved through them. If these problems are widespread then they'll almost certainly release a patch to resolve the issue. Though with Apple you can never quite tell when that will be. They absolutely hate to admit they've done anything wrong, moreso than any other company I know.

I know some frends who managed it, then were unimpressed with the result and rolled back. 3GSs are fine, but as noted earlier, this is a problem for Apple to resolve so keep on at them!