style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3642 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...........

My wife walked out of Tesco having done a little shopping and set the buzzer off as she left the store, at which the security man grabbed her bag from her and started rummaging through it, he didnt ask, just snatched it from her.

Needless to say she hadnt stolen anything.

Then the same thing happened again but in a sports wear shop, some young girl ran up to my wife and snatched her bag and ran back to the shop then proccded to empty it out, again my wife had stolen nothing.

On this occation the girl who emptied her bag was just a shop floor assistant who then neglected to put an item back into the bag meaning my wife had to drive back to the store to collect it when she got home and realised it was missing, a round trip of 12 miles.

I dont think Id take kindly to someone snatching her bag in front of me but unfortunatly I was not with her on either occation.

Do these people have the right to do this?

Could I 'go for their legs' and claim I thought they were trying to rob us?

Nice name, Startkey&Clutch! :)

Don't worry, if this thread post is in the wrong place, it'll automaticaly get moved to another place.

As for your issue, I can safely put your mind at peace with the fact that both the staff involved in taking your wife's handbag is in fact unlawful, especially as it seems as if they did not ask your wife for her consent!

I'm only 17 and I'm currently studying Law at college. As one of the topics, I've studied Police Powers. Under Code A of PACE 1984 (Stop and Search), only the police can perform this action (s1) on a person or a vehicle (s2) in a public place such as a park or street. The police officer must also have reasonable suspicion (this is crucial but I won't get into that as it is irrelevant). Nevertheless, under another section of PACE, the police can only ask the suspect to remove the outer jacket and gloves. As for bags, the police can only do a search if they suspect any involvement in terrorism but even then, consent is needed and if denied, taken to the police station to be searched.

The point I'm trying to make is that even the police (who have higher authority than security staff) must abide by the law/rules set out for them, otherwise it will be unlawful! Security staff do not have the power/right to search a person's personal belongings such as their handbag! Many people nowadays do not know/understand the rights they have and some people exploit this to do anything they want against people like us! This is what gets me going with the fact that some people think they have authority but they clearly don't, especially those dealing in security. The police should have been called if both the staff involved suspected anything. I guess these were staff that only got induction training and that's it, to be honest. It makes it more embarassing with people at my age even learning/knowing what certain people can do!

So yes, the staff involved had no right at all to perform the bag searches. As for the missing item that had to be collected, I don't know if you could claim with that as a defense against them legally (personally, I believe you should be able to, as no consent was given) and so I'll leave it to a person who has further knowledge to answer that.

I hope that this information and knowledge at least helps you in any way it can and good luck to whatever you decide to do. We all have rights, as citizens legally and personally, but there are rules of the law that sets the boundaries of things like this! :)

(I'm currently seeking advice on another thing but hopefully we'll get through and win!)

Edited by AnonymousFighter
Removed grammar errors.

-------------------------------------------------------

An AnonymousFighter Thread Post Reply

-------------------------------------------------------

Whether you're guilty of a crime or not, the bigger picture is, Retail Loss Prevention (RLP) commits the larger unjustifiable crime.

Unless they requested consent to search they committed an offence. A number of companies, in fear of being sued, have told their staff not to do it in the hope this will negate their liability.

They are mistaken if they allow the practice to continue despite their instructions they are still liable for their staffs conduct.

In this particular instant the OP's wife could claim damages to include any real costs incurred returning to recover her goods

Unless they requested consent to search they committed an offence. A number of companies, in fear of being sued, have told their staff not to do it in the hope this will negate their liability.

They are mistaken if they allow the practice to continue despite their instructions they are still liable for their staffs conduct.

In this particular instant the OP's wife could claim damages to include any real costs incurred returning to recover her goods

Im trying to talk her round into doing something about this as she doesnt want to make a fuss and Im sure these bullies rely on that attitude to get away with their actions, but I think the sports shop assistant who grabbed her bag and ran off was poorly trained and was probably unaware that what she was doing was wrong. These young assistants wont know the law and probably think they are the police when the alarm goes off!

My wife was in Tesco yesterday and set the buzzer off again!!!

She did it walking in, but entered the shop at the same time people were walking out so security didnt know who had set it off.

She had gone upstairs to price something for her son and then left the store to get a trolly to do her shopping, as she left the buzzer again went off.

This time the security man approached her and asked

"Have you been upstairs"

She replied yes....

"Did you buy anything"

She replied no...

"Can I have a look in your bag"

She replied no and walked off leaving him stood there looking puzzled.

Having done her shopping the buzzer again went off as she left the store but this time security just looked at her.

Shes learning...

Ive seen them looking in peoples bags regularly in this store, and know that they have been warned about their actions.

We went shopping a few weeks ago and I like to look in the Game store, sure enough the buzzer went off as we left, one of the assistants started to approach us but the manager called him back, the buzzer went off as we entered and he saw us.

I would love to know what this 17 year old lad was going to do???

Empty my pockets???

I dont think so....

was your wife manhandled in any way if so theirs a possible assault charge in it for these people. I personly would be sending a very stern letter to each shop and a demand for your travel costs after all its their fault. tescos might be worried enough to send out some vouchers to help calm the situation.

I was told life was supposed to be one long learning curve.

Mines more a series of hairpin bends.

might be an idea to check the bag or coat she was using on these occations to see if theirs a security tag in their. Ive seen kids in shops take security tags of things and pop them in peoples bags and pockets, they seem to find these games funny.

was your wife manhandled in any way if so theirs a possible assault charge in it for these people. I personly would be sending a very stern letter to each shop and a demand for your travel costs after all its their fault. tescos might be worried enough to send out some vouchers to help calm the situation.

On this occasion the security man just left her alone, I think he was surprised when she said no to looking in her bag.

There is one in particular at this store who has a reputation for being aggresive but he wasnt there this time.

She doesn't carry a works ID card with her does she? I used to find alarms going off in shops a few years ago when I had the ID tag from my then job either in my bag or was wearing it. No one ever tried to grab my bag (Usually the alarm would go off as I was going in).

She doesn't carry a works ID card with her does she? I used to find alarms going off in shops a few years ago when I had the ID tag from my then job either in my bag or was wearing it. No one ever tried to grab my bag (Usually the alarm would go off as I was going in).

She has tried using different handbags and all sorts, tesco goes off as does morrisons but asda seems not to bother her, they're building a new asda just down the road here so I guess they'll be getting her custom.

It seems to be her that sets them off but she would break a light switch if she touched it, she's jinxed.

check her purse and handbag their may be something in their.

if it turns out to be her youll have to get them to pass her over the device that deactivates security tab or leave her at home.

check her purse and handbag their may be something in their.

if it turns out to be her youll have to get them to pass her over the device that deactivates security tab or leave her at home.

Leave the wife at home whilst I go shopping :lol:

Leave the wife at home whilst I go shopping :lol:

god knows I wish I could leave mine at home.:D

The normal suspects are car key fobs - these if they have been 'thrown' into a bag can be emitting a signal, and then set the gate off.

Otherwise pacemakers can cause the same effect, however this is more rare.

best thing to do next time you trip an alar is test your belonging, stick the wife hand bag through then her shopping bag, coat excetra. of course once you stripped your missus down to her underware it would be best to stop at that point.

Apologies for the thread necromancy. but a related yarn.

A couple of years ago i was in my local city centre buying some tools and treats.

My first stop, was at a local TV repair shop, to buy 10 meters of 75 Ohm coax, and some plugs to go on the ends. The very friendly shop asistant cut my coax from a big roll, then coiled the cable up, and put a couple of bits of electrical tape round it to stop it unrolling. and I was free to go buy some less mundane items, so off i cruised to Dixons.

Upon entering the store the alarm went off, but there was a couple leaving so I thought little of it. I browsed for 10 minutes, and finally bought a pack of CDs or similar. However, upon leaving, the alarm went off again, and a shop assistant asked if she could take a look in my bags. I must have been in a good mood, as I let them. (I'm the sort of person who refuses to let BnQ check my recipts as I am leaving, and if an alarm goes off, it's not mine, but the store's problem)

My bag was duely emptied onto the counter, and checked for anything that might have set off the alarm. I then walked back through the alarm gate, and nothing. I went back, collected my bag (that had been checked) and passed it back through the alarm. the alarm went off again.

This was a carrier bag that contained 1 coil coax, and 2 plugs, there was seemingly nothing in it.

Anyway, to cut a long, and boring story short. Me and the shop girl (She was cute!) narrowed it down to the wire coil, as this alone was enough to set off the alarm, and didn't, when the wire was uncoiled.

I carried that coil of wire with me for 2 weeks :-)

The moral of this story .. also check the wife's handbag for coiled wires.

I built up a healthy disrespect for store security staff, when an MnS plain clothed store decective thing followed me round the gents clothes department for 1/2 an hour, because I "didn't fit the profile of an MnS customer". Damn straight! I was in scruffs I have to dress like a plank when I'm working, I'm not going to do it at the weekend.

And then there's the games of "store detective fishing" I occasionally do, when I'm particularly bored, while waing for the wife to try on her 12th dress.

Edited by Scrapie