• Tweets

• Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the other thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
    • HI all, This is done now. My daughter and her fella are currently in the process of remortgaging so they just paid it out of panic. Thank you anyway DX
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Need advice - gym cancellation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have a friend that had a bad experience with a member of staff, alongside general hygience of a gym, and therefore decided to cancell her Direct Debit.

This of course, has prompted a letter from the gym demanding the rest of the monthly payments (about 6 months payments of a 12 month agreement)

Having looked at the terms and conditions in which she agreed online by ticking a "I agree" box, I have noticed that there is nothing mentioning her rights, or her cancellation rights.

Basically the Terms and Conditions just cover the gym, are very basic, and dont appear to give her any rights what-so-ever.

I would say this is a unfair agreement, and wondered if someone would be so kind to have a look. I am hoping that she might be able to get out of paying the rest of the payments, but I am no lawyer :(

I have posted their terms at this address: TERMS & CONDITIONS PRINCIPLE - Anonymous - xT7DtPP4 - Pastebin.com

As you see, the terms dont seem to give her any rights - such as a cancellation process, them failing to provide a good service etc.

Any help would be cool.

Best

Hi Zenmaster and welcome to CAG.

Was the problem with the staff member, and the concerns about hygiene, discussed with the management at the time.

They should have been given a chance to remedy the probs. Better still if the grievances were put in writing.

If they still failed, then cancelling would be reasonable.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yes, I believe you would have rights if they failed to provide you with an adequate service, ie. hygienic facilities. But as mentioned previously, I think you would have to make an official complaint and give them reasonably time to fix things.

:D

CAG Newbie

those terms and conditions were written by a child and are totally unenforceable in law.

ignore them totally.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks all for your replies :)SharpmanTF1, terms 16, says they "may" cancel, and if they think you are not trying to get out of paying, so not sure about that one ? :)

dx100uk, on what basis do you think the terms are unenforeable, I would need more info to clarify in my mind, with all due respect :)

to remove any chance of wrong typing by whomever did that txt.

scan your T&C docs

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc but leave all figures and dates.

goto one one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

browse to your pdf file and upload it

hit close this windows at the bottom below upload it box

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 5 weeks later...
those terms and conditions were written by a child and are totally unenforceable in law.

ignore them totally.

dx

Could you explain the reasons why ? With all due respect, I would need to clarify in my mind if I'm going to challenge these.

Also, they are now charging £50.00 admin letters, in which they have sent two, so any help would be grateful.

One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb is:

7. If you fail to pay any monies due under this agreement or if any Direct Debit is returned unpaid or any

cheque is returned unpaid or if any other form of payment is not honoured for whatever reason, you shall

pay us on demand an administration fee of £25.

That is not an admin fee, it is a penalty. You cannot decide how much an admin fee is until you have done the admin so cannot predict that it is £25.

You should name the gym so we know who we are talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Ok, sent a letter requesting for information regarding who the agreement is with, harlands or the gym, along with other information. They chose to reply with a waffle about the web signup process. With this, I sent a reply saying that not happy with their response, and also that they failed to provide information to exaplain who I have an agreement with.

Also in this reply, I kindly asked them to stop bothering us, otherwise we will take them to court.

Lets see what happens!

• 2 months later...

so what!

dca's have NO LEGAL POWERS

ignore them!

dx

and they

Why cant you explain what you written here ?

Whats the point of asking for help on this forum, if all you get is vague answers ? that actually dont help.

terms and conditions
were written by a child and are totally unenforceable in law.

ignore them totally.

that ans does help, but its not meant to be taken in the way you are taking it.

T&C are just that, they are not binding, they are not the law in this case,

they are of their own 'guesswork'. very poorly written, thats what has been pointed too

but anyhow. out those to one side they are irrelevent.

what you have is a threat-o-gram

its what DCA's do, and very well, its worked on you.

they have no legal powers

they can do nowt to you

there are many many threads in this forum

just take a read of a few of them and you'll soon get the idea.

the more you read the stronger we become.

dx

and they

Hi Zen,

If you are troubled by the DCA contact, drop them a line saying:-

I refer to your letter of xx date, and deny that I owe anything to you or anyone you claim to represent.

I have already written to Harlands requesting information and they have failed to provide it. Accordingly, any alleged debt is now in dispute and, if you continue to pursue payment, you will be reported to Trading Standards and the FOS for breach of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines.

Also write to Harlands again pointing out that they have failed to provide you with adequate answers to your letter of xx date and they must withhold further collection activity until they respond properly. Threaten them with TS and the FOS as above.

As DX says, read other threads in this forum to get a feel for how others are challenging gyms their Admin Co's and their DCA's.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi dx

Thanks for the reply.

I really am thankful that there is this forum, and am thankful for your time.

I hope you can understand my point though, from someone who doesnt understand law or what is binding and not binding etc.

To be able to challenge these letters, and to grasp a understanding of what I am dealing with, I need to know facts, for example, "this contract is not valid because of ...."

To simply say "...were written by a child and are totally unenforceable in law" is postive, but it doesnt help me to understand exactly the reasons why, and I need to know the reasons why, so I am confident to challenge.

With all due respect, I dont have the confidence to challenge, by going on the fact of someone saying on a forum that it was written by a child.

All I was asking is, if you would be so kind to explain a little, so I can research and gain some knowledge.

I am not a lazy person, and dont just expect people to do things for me. I am happy to research, but everything I have researched points back to the contract being binding, and therefore liable to have to pay the money.

So, as you can imagine, your posts give me strength, but not enough to help us through.

Best wishes

Johnny

ta slick

dx

and they